• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Great Gun Control Debate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Edited for brevity.

Sounds like the lull in the Liberals lack of interest in their campaign gun control promises are at an end.
https://globalnews.ca/news/3785263/gun-control-justin-trudeau-liberals-broken-promises/

While not related to Canadian gun control I'll post this here. Very interesting Ted Talk by the Chief of Defense for the Netherlands. Amazing public speaker too.

https://www.ted.com/talks/peter_van_uhm_why_i_chose_a_gun#t-6015

Jarnhamar said:
Edited for brevity.

Sounds like the lull in the Liberals lack of interest in their campaign gun control promises are at an end.
https://globalnews.ca/news/3785263/gun-control-justin-trudeau-liberals-broken-promises/

Never let a crisis go to waste. I am sure the Liberal Cabinet is breathing a sigh of relief that the LV shooting happened at the same time as the Edmonton attack, people aren't giving that story the time it deserves.

Looks like Canadian Tire is bowing to political pressure. They cite a rise in cost but doesn't explane the pulling of existing stock.

Attachments

• IMG_1239.JPG
    IMG_1239.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 355
my72jeep said:
Looks like Canadian Tire is bowing to political pressure. They cite a rise in cost but doesn't explane the pulling of existing stock.

I seen that.

Of course the predictable happened and people rushed to Canadian Tire to try and buy SKS's while they could. Where they couldn't get them at CT they picked them up elsewhere, I know someone that just bought a crate of them.

Kind of illustrates how gun control can't keep weapons out of the hands of criminals:

Winnipegger bought guns legally, sold them to gangs

21 guns Theodore Mantas sold to gang members still missing, court told as he pleads guilty

[More at LINK]

ModlrMike said:
Kind of illustrates how gun control can't keep weapons out of the hands of criminals:

21 guns Theodore Mantas sold to gang members still missing, court told as he pleads guilty

[More at LINK]
This guy makes the lawfull look bad, the anti's will say " See we can't trust any of them".

ModlrMike said:

[More at LINK]

Throw the book at them, hard. Make an example of them. The same problem happens in the US, very few people get hard jail time for being strawmen.

Colin P said:
Throw the book at them, hard. Make an example of them. The same problem happens in the US, very few people get hard jail time for being strawmen.

Yup. They should crucify this guy, figuratively speaking.  6 years seems light to me, 1 year per gun feels about right.

With technology where it's at machineguns can be made at little machine shops.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/weapons-trafficking-edmonton-machine-guns-1.4258821

They always could be, MG are very much early 20th century tech https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAUdrKG31zE

Fair point but the internet lets a small time shop download plans in a couple seconds.

Jarnhamar said:
Fair point but the internet lets a small time shop download plans in a couple seconds.

and CNC, 3D printing, computer guided cutters all allows them to prototype easily and produce accurate components for production.

Sounds logical to me...

22450138_1511176942264511_5393596843172154998_n.jpg

^ Sober drivers can go back to getting aound on the backs of animals.  :)

mariomike said:
^ Sober drivers can go back to getting aound on the backs of animals.

Murderers without guns can rent large trucks.

Jarnhamar said:
Yup. They should crucify this guy, figuratively speaking.  6 years seems light to me, 1 year per gun feels about right.

With technology where it's at machineguns can be made at little machine shops.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/weapons-trafficking-edmonton-machine-guns-1.4258821

Just reading some stuff on the Malay Emergency, machine shops were closed down or restricted to reduce the flow of weapons or repairs to weapons to the CT's. 

Texans Who Carry Have a Lower Murder Rate Than Brits

http://www.westernfreepress.com/2017/11/13/texans-who-carry-have-lower-murder-rate-than-brits/

Gun violence has been in the news lately, which has some Americans advocating British-style gun laws. The UK bans handguns, and in 2016 its per capita homicide rate was only 0.99 per 100,000 people. But while it’s true that Brits commit relatively few murders, there’s another group that commits even fewer. Who are they? 

Legally-armed Texans.

Over a million people in Texas are licensed to carry a firearm, and the state publishes a report on the crimes they commit. In 2016, two were convicted of murder and another two were convicted of manslaughter. If they formed their own country, its per capita homicide rate would be about 0.4 per 100,000 residents. In other words, Britain’s homicide rate would drop by more than half if it were populated by nothing but Texans with concealed handgun permits. Texas isn’t unique: across the country, it’s rare for people who carry guns legally to commit crimes. They do stop them, however.

Sheriff’s Deputy Dylan Dorris discovered that when he was rescued by an armed motorist. Dorris was overpowered during a traffic stop, and the officer says he’s “alive today” because Marine Corps veteran Scott Perkins intervened. You can find many similar cases of individuals defending themselves and others. 

While the stats show most people who carry are male, women actually have the most to gain from a concealed handgun. Unlike other weapons, the efficacy of a firearm depends on its user’s skill–not her size and strength. That’s why an armed Minnesota woman was able to fend off a gang of men. It’s the same reason a 91 year-old man in Michigan could defend himself in a drugstore parking lot. 

And there’s an additional benefit: the presence of guns creates a deterrent. In a survey of convicts funded by the Department of Justice, 81 percent agreed, “A smart criminal always tries to find out if his potential victim is armed.” Seventy four percent concurred that, “One reason burglars avoid houses when people are home is they fear being shot.” 

It’s true that the United States has a problem with violent crime, and that problem has many components. Law abiding gun owners aren’t one of them though. They’re part of the answer.

So, how about that proposed protest in Montreal at the memorial for the PolyTech murders?

Not a bright move by whoever planned it.

Bzzliteyr said:
So, how about that proposed protest in Montreal at the memorial for the PolyTech murders?

Not a bright move by whoever planned it.

I totally get what they're going for, but you'd need the CBC on YOUR SIDE to make that come across as you intend it, in Canada.

I get it; "Don't hold us responsible for the actions of some lone crazy Person." Not how I'd have done it, but it's frankly the minimum standard of treatment we should expect as gun owners in a Nation where the government bleats at us about accepting Muslims after every Jihadi terror attack.

Also; Freaking *Montreal*?! *Just Montreal*?!

Sometimes, I wonder; "Does anyone in this country ever look at a map before they plan or propose anything?

It was supposed to be a "National Rally" and they're like; "Hey, come to Montreal"...Who's able to travel across the country for that?

Nonono; "National"? Okay; then there needs to be a rally in at least one major city of every province. Don't ask folks to get on planes and drive ten hours to be heckled and possibly attacked by Antifa and arrested. I can do that at home just fine, without even being part of a protest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back