• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Great Gun Control Debate- 2.0

Colin P said:
So if I add a pistol grip to my .303, then it's an assault rifle?

Assault rifles aren’t really a thing so you can call anything an assault rifle by adding all sorts of parts.

In Star Wars Battlefront 2 on Xbox I sometimes play the assault variant.  Plenty of space guns to mod up.  I much prefer the sniper variant with telescoping sights and stabilizers.

The real problem is pistols.  Han Solo’s especially.  That needs to go. Blaster pistols should be banned.

SeaKingTacco said:
On the bright side, this should mean that SKS, M1s and mini-14 owners will be left alone. No pistol grip there....

Wendy Cukier can be relied on to always say something ill-informed about firearms. Remarkable, since she has opposed firearms ownership of any kind for decades, you think that she would have learned something, anything that is actually true (even accidentally) on the subject by now.
Nonetheless, the media listens to her and she is regularly trotted out as a gun policy "expert". Because the antis have no aversion to latching onto a criminal act involving firearms, they are always able to get out in front on this issue every time while the pro-gun groups are more cautious in their statements, using facts instead of emotions and, therefore, playing catch-up.  Gun control groups are well versed in the Catherine McKenna style of swaying public opinion.

I suppose I could re-do this SOPMOD Enfield with a pistol grip and collapsing stock too...?

Attachments

• Ranger Enfield Mod.jpg
    Ranger Enfield Mod.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 105
I bet that’s a kicky little goat.

Some of N.S. gunman's weapons came from U.S., police say
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/investigation-firearms-ns-shooting-1.5544180

Remius said:
Assault rifles aren’t really a thing so you can call anything an assault rifle by adding all sorts of parts.
Actually, assault rifles are a thing.  Assault rifles are fully automatic capable rifles which fire a sub-powered rifle ammunition.  Assault rifles are already prohibited weapons in Canada.
By contrast, "assault-style rifle" and "assault weapon" are meaningless terms.

MCG said:
Actually, assault rifles are a thing.  Assault rifles are fully automatic capable rifles which fire a sub-powered rifle ammunition.  Assault rifles are already prohibited weapons in Canada.

Do you have that definition from a book? Even at RCEME School, our books still would call that a semi-automatic firearm, as does the RCMP.

MilEME09 said:
MCG said:
Do you have that definition from a book? Even at RCEME School, our books still would call that a semi-automatic firearm, as does the RCMP.
Why would the RCEME school refer to a fully automatic capable rifle as a semi-automatic firearm?
As for a reference that defines assault rifles as being fully automatic capable, check any number of books by Ian Hogg to include:

MCG said:
Why would the RCEME school refer to a fully automatic capable rifle as a semi-automatic firearm?
As for a reference that defines assault rifles as being fully automatic capable, check any number of books by Ian Hogg to include: https://www.amazon.com/Story-Gun-Ian-V-Hogg/dp/031214895X/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=

After rechecking my available resources, I am mistaken, C7 is an automatic rifle, While assault rifle makes sense for a fully automatic rifle, it describes a physical action, not a mechanism of the weapon which is why i do not like that term.

Not to dig up old wounds, but I believe the terminology is derived from the US military to differentiate between battle rifles/full powered cartridges and assault rifles/intermediate powered cartridges. Outside of that there is probably no relevance

suffolkowner said:
Not to dig up old wounds, but I believe the terminology is derived from the US military to differentiate between battle rifles/full powered cartridges and assault rifles/intermediate powered cartridges. Outside of that there is probably no relevance
No.  The terminology does draw on the distinction between full powered cartridges and intermediate powered, because it is that distinction that makes the assault rifle capable of controlled automatic fire.  But it is not derived from US military terminology.  Ian Hogg is a British historian, and he links the term back to the original assault rifle - the Sturmgewehr 44.

MCG said:
No.  The terminology does draw on the distinction between full powered cartridges and intermediate powered, because it is that distinction that makes the assault rifle capable of controlled automatic fire.  But it is not derived from US military terminology.  Ian Hogg is a British historian, and he links the term back to the original assault rifle - the Sturmgewehr 44.

So maybe an assault rifle ban will leave my non automatic battle rifles alone, lol

So I have an older CAF pam, which is no longer available B-GL-317-025/JK-001 Weapons Volume 25 Small Arms Vocabulary and it defines Assault Rifle as “Light, short-barrelled, selective-fire rifle utilizing an intermediate-powered cartridge".

Two men face charges after police respond to weapons complaint in Dartmouth, N.S.
HALIFAX -- Two men have been arrested and are facing charges after Halifax Regional Police responded to a weapons complaint in Dartmouth, N.S. Friday afternoon.

Police received a report at 3:14 p.m. that two men had been passing a firearm back and forth in the parking lot of the Canadian Tire in Dartmouth Crossing.
Police believe the men took the airsoft weapon to the parking lot and passed it back and forth, then entered the Canadian Tire store to purchase airsoft ammunition and a Co2 canister.
The men are facing charges of possession of a weapon dangerous to the public peace.

https://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/two-men-face-charges-after-police-respond-to-weapons-complaint-in-dartmouth-n-s-1.4910892

Overkill?

Jarnhamar said:
Two men face charges after police respond to weapons complaint in Dartmouth, N.S.
https://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/two-men-face-charges-after-police-respond-to-weapons-complaint-in-dartmouth-n-s-1.4910892

Overkill?

The usual oppression of Canada's 2nd-class citizens....

The two are tone deaf maybe, but I can't figure out how an airsoft rifle could be considered a weapon dangerous to the public peace.

Infanteer said:
The two are tone deaf maybe, but I can't figure out how an airsoft rifle could be considered a weapon dangerous to the public peace.
It’s catch all charge just like unsafe storage. Yahoos with look alike guns could start a panic. It will most likely stick do to the current climate in Nova Scotia.

Infanteer said:

Section 88 of the Criminal Code states: "Every person commits an offence who carries or possesses a weapon, an imitation of a weapon, a prohibited device or any ammunition or prohibited ammunition for a purpose dangerous to the public peace or for the purpose of committing an offence."

So an air soft gun can certainly qualify as an imitation of a weapon, especially to the uneducated eye.

However, you may have noted that either the journalist because he wanted to edit his piece, or the cops because they wanted to make a point outside the purview of the law as drafted, left out the word "purpose" from the accusation. This actually requires evidence of an intent to use the imitation weapon for a dangerous purpose to public peace. That intent will be hard to prove, as merely showing up somewhere with a weapon for a legal purpose yet causing concern in some citizens is not sufficient evidence of intent.

In short, the mere effect caused in some citizens is not proof of intent in and of itself.

I suspect that the charges will be dropped quietly once a defence attorney gets involved.

Oldgateboatdriver said:
Section 88 of the Criminal Code states: "Every person commits an offence who carries or possesses a weapon, an imitation of a weapon, a prohibited device or any ammunition or prohibited ammunition for a purpose dangerous to the public peace or for the purpose of committing an offence."

So an air soft gun can certainly qualify as an imitation of a weapon, especially to the uneducated eye.

However, you may have noted that either the journalist because he wanted to edit his piece, or the cops because they wanted to make a point outside the purview of the law as drafted, left out the word "purpose" from the accusation. This actually requires evidence of an intent to use the imitation weapon for a dangerous purpose to public peace. That intent will be hard to prove, as merely showing up somewhere with a weapon for a legal purpose yet causing concern in some citizens is not sufficient evidence of intent.

In short, the mere effect caused in some citizens is not proof of intent in and of itself.

I suspect that the charges will be dropped quietly once a defence attorney gets involved.
Any competent defense lawyer should be able to shred this one, but not before costing these two a pretty hefty sum.

Target Up said:
Any competent defense lawyer should be able to shred this one, but not before costing these two a pretty hefty sum.

Which is punishment enough and will encourage other Airsofters to be more discreet.  Mission accomplished.

Back