• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Great Gun Control Debate- 2.0

Those interested in where violence happens should be drilling down to specific neighbourhoods and communities.

Brad Sallows said:
Those interested in where violence happens should be drilling down to specific neighbourhoods and communities.
Watch local TO news and there is close to a shooting incident every day.
And as Brad says "specific neighbourhoods" are where most of it happens. Unfortunately there are a lot of innocent civilians caught in the crossfire. And some of these weapons are used outside these areas. If you hear TO talking about a handgun ban this is what is driving the concern. Shootings are occurring in public areas thruout the city. I live in a suburban TO community and serious gun violence is higher than in any past year I can recall.
Contributing causes ... drugs...proximity to the border !

Mister Donut said:
I'm surprised Surrey BC wasn't in the top ten

I suspect Surrey was included in the Vancouver census metropolitan area ( CMA ).

"A census metropolitan area (CMA) consists of one or more neighbouring municipalities situated around a major urban core. A CMA must have a total population of at least 100,000 of which 50,000 or more live in the urban core. To be included in the CMA, other adjacent municipalities must have a high degree of integration with the central urban area, as measured by commuting flows derived from census data. A CMA typically comprises more than one police service."

"Metro Vancouver is a federation of 22 municipalities."

Brad Sallows said:

There are 140 neighbourhoods officially recognized by the City of Toronto, and upwards of 240 unofficial neighbourhoods.

That is City only. Does not include the Greater Toronto Area ( GTA ) Regions of Halton, Peel, York and Durham.

If one is looking to "drill down" for a crime hot spot, I think my neighbourhood would be pretty disappointing,

It's the only one that has its own community run Town Hall. It is the only one to have a lake, a river, and a pond as it's natural boundaries. It's very hilly with  winding roads and many mature trees. It was a village until 1967, and we had our own Fire Dept.

Other than at the Legion, you couldn't buy alcohol until after 2000 ( The year. Not the hour. ) Want beer or wine with your spaghetti in a restaurant? Sorry, have a Coke or ginger ale.

Not exactly Mayberry. Not exactly the crime hot spot some might be looking for either.  :)

mariomike said:
I suspect Surrey was included in the Vancouver census metropolitan area ( CMA ).

"A census metropolitan area (CMA) consists of one or more neighbouring municipalities situated around a major urban core. A CMA must have a total population of at least 100,000 of which 50,000 or more live in the urban core. To be included in the CMA, other adjacent municipalities must have a high degree of integration with the central urban area, as measured by commuting flows derived from census data. A CMA typically comprises more than one police service."

"Metro Vancouver is a federation of 22 municipalities."

There are 140 neighbourhoods officially recognized by the City of Toronto, and upwards of 240 unofficial neighbourhoods.

That is City only. Does not include the Greater Toronto Area ( GTA ) Regions of Halton, Peel, York and Durham.

If one is looking to "drill down" for a crime hot spot, I think my neighbourhood would be pretty disappointing,

It's the only one that has its own community run Town Hall. It is the only one to have a lake, a river, and a pond as it's natural boundaries. It's very hilly with  winding roads and many mature trees. It was a village until 1967, and we had our own Fire Dept.

Other than at the Legion, you couldn't buy alcohol until after 2000. Want beer or wine with your spaghetti in a restaurant? Sorry, have a Coke or ginger ale.
If I'm right you live in Port Credit
And you have my Grandad to blame he was a founder of that Legion and the Mayor of Port Credit at roughly the same time.

GK .Dundas said:
If I'm right you live in Port Credit
And you have my Grandad to blame he was a founder of that Legion and the Mayor of Port Credit at roughly the same time.

No. I love Port Credit. But, I live in the former Village of Swansea. "The final frontier before the Borough of Etobicoke". Now incorporated into the City of Toronto.

The Legion was Branch #46. Coincidentally located directly across the street from the village firehouse. How's that for urban planning?

The firehouse is still there. ( A one-truck station. ) But, the legion closed after the area went "wet".

It sounds like Toronto is a lot safer and nicer than I thought. Why do we hear them so much in the news?  Are they blowing the gun and gang violence out of proportion? Sort of a it snowed send in the army response?

Jarnhamar said:
It sounds like Toronto is a lot safer and nicer than I thought.

Not sure it could ever  be safe enough for some.

We explained the residential population. Now, you can add the tourist population,

Toronto is the leading tourism destination in Canada. In 2017, Toronto welcomed over 43.7 million visitors.
•A record 15.5 million were overnight visitors
•28.2 million same day visitors
•International travellers to Toronto: ◦5.1 million overnight visitors came from international destinations
◦2.9 million overnight visitors came from the U.S.
(Source: Tourism Toronto, 2017).

Most come looking for a good time. Some may get into trouble.

Jarnhamar said:
Why do we hear them so much in the news? 

Where do you think Canada's news media is located?

Jarnhamar said:
Are they blowing the gun and gang violence out of proportion?

Probably could never  blow it up enough to satisfy some.

Jarnhamar said:
Sort of a it snowed send in the army response?

Once. In the 1990's. Worst one I ever worked.

Do you know the effect a snow storm can have on emergency operations in a big city?

"FDNY EMS has a aprox 5 hour delay to Emergencies. FDNY personal are advised not to do CPR more then 20 min due to high vol of jobs." [ sic ]

FDNY-EMS reported a backlog of 1,300 9-1-1 calls and a 3-hour to 12-hour delay in response to critical cases, including cardiac arrests and heart attacks.

A report of a mother unable to breath. Her daughter called 9-1-1, but could not get through for 50 minutes. A neighbour administered CPR, but EMS was unable to arrive for another 45 minutes, and they still had to walk to her house. The lady did not survive.

A man died of a heart attack after it took paramedics three-and-a-half hours to arrive. It took another 28 hours for a city medical examiner to pick up the body, which had been resting in a bag on a bed.

A 22-year-old pregnant woman started contractions. Because of the ambulance delay, she began walking from her home to the hospital, but couldn't make it. She stopped in a building lobby. 911 was called again at 8:30 a.m. By 4:30 p.m. she had started crowning and 911 was called again. Around 5:20 p.m. police arrived (by foot since driving was impossible) and found the woman attempting to leave and walk to the hospital again. She was brought back inside and the baby was delivered.  Despite the efforts of police and neighbors the baby was lost.

Sources said FDNY-EMS requested a state of emergency be declared, but the Office of Emergency Management denied the request. A Hearing is to be held in early January.

"Family of NYC Woman Who Died in Blizzard Plans $20M Lawsuit:
Suffering a heart attack during the New York City blizzard after Christmas, Yvonne Freeman "never had a chance," her daughter says, because an ambulance took three hours to reach her over unplowed streets. By the time it got there, it was too late.
Now Freeman's family is planning a $20 million lawsuit against the city -- the first blizzard-related wrongful death case.":

NY Daily News:
"...the city is slammed for failing to declare a snow emergency."

To avoid lawsuits, NYC does not hesitate to call in the army.

If you need outside help, ask for it! Otherwise, those you swore to serve and protect will sue the city.

The list of guns banned in NZ including .22cal rimfires Lever Actions. Remember how they told us, they are not coming for our guns and we are paranoid? If you think Canada won't do the same, you are sadly mistaken  https://www.police.govt.nz/sites/default/files/publications/prohibited-firearms-and-parts-buy-back-price-list.pdf

Colin P said:
The list of guns banned in NZ including .22cal rimfires Lever Actions. Remember how they told us, they are not coming for our guns and we are paranoid? If you think Canada won't do the same, you are sadly mistaken  https://www.police.govt.nz/sites/default/files/publications/prohibited-firearms-and-parts-buy-back-price-list.pdf

I checked what two of my firearms are worth according to that list in new condition and it came back $14'250 Canadian.

I paid $3800 Canadian for em both.

Jarnhamar said:
I checked what two of my firearms are worth according to that list in new condition and it came back $14'250 Canadian.

I paid $3800 Canadian for em both.

My FNC para gets me a little under 8K in NZ, probably about $800 here.

The internets says $8000 NZD is worth $6691 CDN.

I'd definitely take that off your hands for $800 if that's the case  ;D

Ah yes, the knee-jerk reaction of the NZ government.

They fear the mighty Cooey 60 and the venerable Wingmaster 870, along with the ever so deadly Win '94.  :panic:

Think of the children!!! No-one will be able to teach them to enjoy shooting and hunting safely.....  ;D

Again, gun control is not about the guns..... It's about the control.

338canada has Ralph Goodale behind in the polls.  Good for gun owners.

A portion of my collection rings in at just about $40K according to that list...interesting.

Not that I'm interested in surrendering any of them.

NS

Well this is terrifying.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6044669/liberals-defend-chinese-facebook-ads-on-andrew-scheers-gun-policy/

Once the Conservatives are in power, these assault rifles will spread to the streets

It's really weird that the ton of military style (theme? Flavored?) firearms already out there that are non-restricted and not tracked by the RCMP aren't flooding the streets, but if it's coming from the LPC at election time it seems like a legit concern.

Taking a closer look at the NDP and LPC stance on guns.  It is looking more and more like a coalition will form and I`m curious about what they have in common.

A few thing...

LPC - Ban military assault style weapons.  Not sure what that is and they don`t seem to know.

NDP - No mention of a ban.  Just that they will work to get them off the street.  Pretty vague.

Both support letting cities ban handguns.  Not even sure how that would work.

I noted one more thing from the LPC:  People in intimate relationships suspected of being violent will have their licenses revoked.  I see a lot of potential for abuse here by vindictive partners.

I suspect the NDP will be fine with the LPC gun violence platform.  They seem more focused on stopping gun violence at the source but I doubt they will oppose anything the LPC is proposing.

I`m not sure what gun owners can do to insulate themselves from this but hopefully they have been looking at it.  I think though it will require the next CPC leader to try and overturn it if they can win next time. (I am being presumptuous but I am fairly certain the CPC will not get a majority, without which they will not be able to govern.)

Liberals digging deep lol

i6pg62f.jpg

Are you telling me that if I vote Conservative, I get an AK-47?

That. Is. Awesome!

SeaKingTacco said:
Are you telling me that if I vote Conservative, I get an AK-47?

That. Is. Awesome!

I’ll take the HK-416! ;D

Back