• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Great Gun Control Debate- 2.0

Jarnhamar said:
.... civilian owned police uniforms...

Like the dark blue work pants and work shirts worn by mechanics and other tradespeople every day?  I can see maybe some type of ban on the sale of Police/LE insignia and memorabilia.

FWIW the ban on military-style semi automatics, (then, when the Liberals saw the pushback against that was manageable, all semi automatics, then handguns) was going to happen no matter what.  COVID -19 just pushed it to the right for a while.  This event has brought it back out in front.  What remains to be seen now is whether the advertised buyback will still be in place or will it be deemed too expensive or marketed as "taking money away from essential healthcare"?

I imagine imagery like this is having an effect on anti-gun thinking.

27433842-8238403-image-a-41_1587419186567.jpg

Journeyman said:

indeed, because anti-gun activists conveniently draw parallels between the American NRA, who condone these displays (even if legal, they are wholly inappropriate IMO) and the Canadian pro-gun "NRA-like" groups (CSSA, CCFR, NFA).

This may sound callous, but what made this latest attack so successful was not the firearm(s) used, but that the attacker posed as a trusted public figure to close with and engage his victims who had their guard completely down.  Even a "prepper" type would have likely let their guard down had they been approached by a uniformed officer showing no threat cues.

Haggis said:
This may sound callous, but what made this latest attack so successful was not the firearm(s) used, but that the attacker posed as a trusted public figure to close with and engage his victims who had their guard completely down. 

Mar 30, 2020

Fake Police Are Pulling Drivers Over During The Stay-At-Home Directive. Here’s How To Avoid Being A Victim

https://www.forbes.com/sites/joshmax/2020/03/30/fake-police-are-pulling-drivers-over-during-stay-at-home-directiveheres-how-to-get-around-it/#188dfdbc34d3

That there is a constitutional right 2A "right" to bear loaded arms with ammunition on display with the intent to intimidate, communicate malice or encourage rebellion against public health and safety is a stretch. If 4 guys from the US chapter of MFA showed up on the steps of the State Legislature with all that iron for the simple purpose of protesting, they would shot full of holes even if the only thing they were doing is affirming their 2A rights.

CloudCover said:
That there is a constitutional right 2A "right" to bear loaded arms with ammunition on display with the intent to intimidate, communicate malice or encourage rebellion against public health and safety is a stretch. If 4 guys from the US chapter of MFA showed up on the steps of the State Legislature with all that iron for the simple purpose of protesting, they would shot full of holes even if the only thing they were doing is affirming their 2A rights.

What is MFA and what state legislature are you referring to?

Fake Police Are Pulling Drivers Over During The Stay-At-Home Directive. Here’s How To Avoid Being A Victim

This guy went way beyond what these good ole boys were trying to do.  My guess is some people will think twice before pulling over for police now for fear of a copycat.

Haggis said:
My guess is some people will think twice before pulling over for police now for fear of a copycat.

Nothing new about police impersonation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Police_impersonation

Fake vehicle: The imposter places police lights (these can be either permanently mounted onto the car or temporary lights magnetically attached to the cartop), decals, siren, or other equipment on a personal vehicle to disguise it as a police car and enable the offender to pass through red traffic lights, bypass traffic other non-emergency traffic would have to wait for, make traffic stops, or even arrests.

We had unmarked Crown Vic's ( aka "cottage cars" ) with the police interceptor package where I used to work. They had little flashing red lights mounted into the outside mirrors. And a siren behind the grill.

I never heard of them being used for nefarious purposes. But, I noticed people tended to slow down when they saw you in their rear-view mirrors.  :)

Haggis said:
the attacker posed as a trusted public figure to close with and engage his victims who had their guard completely down.

This aspect of it has occupied my thoughts on this whole thing the most. They would have been completely helpless, unsuspecting, and vulnerable. Many of the victims died thinking they had been betrayed by our RCMP officers, and they'll never know the truth. What a horrifying last thought... :'(

mariomike said:
We had unmarked Crown Vic's ( aka "cottage cars" ) with the police interceptor package where I used to work. They had little flashing red lights mounted into the outside mirrors. And a siren behind the grill.
We still have unmarked Crown Vics at work, too  They are used for training and ferry duty.  People are reluctant to pass them on the highway.

mariomike said:
I never heard of them being used for nefarious purposes. But, I noticed people tended to slow down when they saw you in their rear-view mirrors.  :)
Up until last summer, I had a dark blue Impala with an amateur radio installation, so it had a trunk mounted antenna. I would park on the boulevard in front of my house just to slow certain idiots down.

So, the murderer in NS did not have a PAL or RPAL, the firearm(s) used in his mass-murder were illegally obtained. Strengthening firearms laws and confiscating those owned lawfully by citizens vetted under the current system would not have prevented this tragedy:

https://www.vice.com/en_au/article/3a83av/nova-scotia-gunman-was-not-a-legal-firearms-owner-rcmp-says

I note the same article says he had an assault conviction from 2001. He may well have had an outright firearms prohibition as a result, not just a lack a PAL/RPAL.

So how does this "reinforce the need for stricter gun control" per Trudeau?

Do we even know what sort of firearm this guy used? I haven't been able to find anything on that. They are of course targeting black guns over this, but was he even using one?

Low hanging fruit.  Easier to ban guns than address the actual issue.

I wasn't surprised the Prime Minister immediately talked about his platform on gun control instead of waiting to comment. There's little solace in the revelation that it looks like shooter didn't have a PAL. I think that little fact will be lost on a lot of people.

It's sad it's such a politically charged topic. The bodies weren't even fully counted before usual groups [Canadian Doctors for Protection From Guns, PolySeSouvient, the Coalition for Gun Control, Danforth Families for Safe Communities etc..] started penning letters calling for more gun control.
Or to be honest, usual gun owners/enthusiasts started whining about losing their guns and the government banning them.

Without knowing all the facts, just from what does seem to be known, the type of gun used looks to probably be irrelevant. It seems like the victims were in 2's and 3's. Compounded by the fact he was in uniform so his victims were completely unaware.  This case is an example why getting hung up on gun types, looks, magazine capacity, accessories, "military style" is useless. The emphasis on "military style" is really stupid.
It sounds like any sort of "hunting" gun could have been used. Like my great grandfathers 6-round level action Winchester that I own which was registered with the RCMP 80 years ago.

Not that I support the notion, but anything short of banning ALL civilian firearm ownership in Canada is deflection and bandied solutions. Which of course is even mitigated if the shooter sources their gun from the US.

Journeyman said:

27433842-8238403-image-a-41_1587419186567.jpg

Those guys look like dipshits and aren't helping the image of firearm owners.

They're probably pretty harmless though.

The sad irony is that one of Canada's worst mass-murderers most likely dressed like this for work every day.

1399020113090668520186134.jpg

More details released that he had a handgun, rifle and shotgun even though he had no license. Started shooting people after an argument with his girlfriend and escalated from there.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6858994/nova-scotia-shootings-gunman-attacked-girlfriend/?fbclid=IwAR3ruI_mG4i564ezKbpmPwV7pvvfJTVUKenOwzAcrmY4VIIgppyYpp-NOmc

These kind of gems come from the gun-control advocates. Banning pistol grips  ::)

As for the pistol grip — a feature on controversial weapons like the AR-15 rifle, a legal-though-restricted weapon in Canada — Cukier said there’s a reason the moulded hand grip should be banned.

“The pistol grip allows you to stabilize the weapon so you can effectively spray fire as opposed to a hunting rifle, which typically will sit on the shoulder,” she said.
https://globalnews.ca/news/6856478/gun-advocates-justin-trudeau-nova-scotia-shooting/

Jarnhamar said:
These kind of gems come from the gun-control advocates. Banning pistol grips  ::)
https://globalnews.ca/news/6856478/gun-advocates-justin-trudeau-nova-scotia-shooting/
I guess all those expensive sighting systems are a waste of money since you can just affix a pistol grip and shoot from the hip.

On the bright side, this should mean that SKS, M1s and mini-14 owners will be left alone. No pistol grip there....

Wendy Cukier can be relied on to always say something ill-informed about firearms. Remarkable, since she has opposed firearms ownership of any kind for decades, you think that she would have learned something, anything that is actually true (even accidentally) on the subject by now.

Back