• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Great Gun Control Debate- 2.0

Once they bring in the Emergency Act I will not be surprised that Blair and JT will abuse it to round up undesirable firearms, that sort of power is often  irresistible to those types. the only thing saving us would be the already critical manpower shortages.

Colin P said:
Once they bring in the Emergency Act I will not be surprised that Blair and JT will abuse it to round up undesirable firearms, that sort of power is often  irresistible to those types. the only thing saving us would be the already critical manpower shortages.

I can see that.

Uh uh uh uh safety and security of all Canadians uh uh because climate change and corona virus we need to ban assault weapons uh uh safety and security uh climate change.

They won't care about confiscating them, it's a lot cheaper for the government if people hide them at home, but they get to smash through the law while everyone is concerned about mitigating a pandemic.

Colin P said:
  Highly unlikely, and for exactly that reason.  Plus, the Emergencies Act has a sunset clause of 90 days for a public welfare emergency declaration, unless a continuance is put in place prior to the end of the 90 day period.  Lastly, the cost to the government of the court challenges that would arise out of such an act, given a complete lack of justification (i.e. no COVID-19 related gun crimes... so far), would be enormous.

Jarnhamar said:
Uh uh uh uh safety and security of all Canadians uh uh because climate change and corona virus we need to ban assault weapons uh uh safety and security uh climate change.

I was watching his last few scripted performances on TV.  He sounds prime ministerial while he's on the script.  Once he goes off script to answer questions, even his translator says "uh".

Colin P said:

That would very much go against self quarantining, having to go into all those homes. Plus I don't think they would want the added burden on the medical system at this point in time as if they start kicking in doors to take peoples property, there will likely be at least a few cops and citizens dead.

That's logical thinking, but you can bet that some are fantasising about doing just that and it's likely been kicked around in cabinet. They could just order you to bring your guns in for "safe keeping" and never return them. Failure to do so, would invalidate your PAL and they will confiscate them later.

Bring them to who? Where?

The Provinces are responsible for policing. They would all scream bloody murder if this was overlayed on an international health emergency. It runs contrary to all of the social distancing orders.

Even the Liberals are not quite that stupid.

Eaglelord17 said:
That would very much go against self quarantining, having to go into all those homes. Plus I don't think they would want the added burden on the medical system at this point in time as if they start kicking in doors to take peoples property, there will likely be at least a few cops and citizens dead.

If it happens, which I doubt it will.. I will be coughing my heart out while they are in my home and on to them, shaking their hands, patting their back, guiding them to my safe with my arms etc ^^

Heck right now all I technically need to surrend is a stripped AR Lower I bought for a hundred-ish bucks.. (i forget how much tbh). It could be worth it to me, just to say I'm self quarantining and they raided my house and then didn't quarantine themselves haha.

Abdullah

P.s this is my second sarcastic, joking post today.. I must just be in a sarcastic mood. Sorry if it annoys.

I can see the government using the fear of the unknown and threat of armed gangs stealing peoples limited supplies as fuel to justify smashing the assault weapon ban through.

After all you don't want conservatives criminals running around with assault weapons at times like this do you? When police are stretched to their limit? Let the military and police be the ones holding these deadly death dealing machines.

What mr gun owner? You want to make a big deal about money for your inanimate property when people have lose their jobs and and are trying to afford essentials like food? Shame on you, you'll get your money later, after we give people money for food.

What are politicians doing about all the mass shootings and drastic increase in "gun crime" after unprecedented amounts of guns and ammo have been bought across Canada due to the corona virus panic?

Jarnhamar said:
What are politicians doing about all the mass shootings and drastic increase in "gun crime" after unprecedented amounts of guns and ammo have been bought across Canada due to the corona virus panic?

Yeah, funny how society hasn't dissolved into complete anarchy and violence with all the gun and ammo sales.

It's crazy, I can't find 5.56 anywhere, aside from a few boxes of the really really expensive stuff. I went to Canadian Tire a few weeks ago and bought their last few boxes of 12 Guage 00 Buck. The "hunting is the only legitimate reason to own firearms" type working the counter was fit to be tied and vented freely to me about "why is everyone buying this stuff? People are idiots". I decided to just keep my peace and took my ammo.

I have also found it very interesting to see some attitudes change. Chatting with a couple police officers (again a few weeks ago, before complete lockdown and social distancing -- i.e. when you could still have conversations with people not of your own household) about how the police are scaling back their enforcement of crime due to COVID-19 concerns. A young lady who was hitherto a "no one needs guns" sort, said "maybe I should get a gun" and the officers just kind of quietly nodded without saying anything. I guarantee 60 days ago that would conversation would have never happened.

Jarnhamar said:

I'm not being sarcastic here at all.  Has their been a dramatic increase in mass shootings and gun crime? 

Honest question.  I've tried to tune the news out of late, and usually just come here to read articles posted by members.  The non-stop nonsense of the mainstream media has finally driven me to ignore them almost completely.

Not at all. There was a toilet paper style buying frenzie on ammo and some stores even sold out of guns.

Government still says they want to go ahead with banning a certian style of firearm that "science based evidence" as Trudeau loves saying, doesn't indicate are used in more shootings.

>Has their been a dramatic increase in mass shootings and gun crime?

Not yet, but many more people than usual are under severe stress.  But the stress is the root of problems, not the guns.

Brad Sallows said:
>Has their been a dramatic increase in mass shootings and gun crime?

Not yet, but many more people than usual are under severe stress.  But the stress is the root of problems, not the guns.

You say "not yet" like it's an inevitability, wouldn't a simple "no" have done?
'

Unfortunately, I think it's a possibility (not an inevitability).  My answer combines "no" with "but it might".

Trudeau wasting no time whatsoever to capitalize on the tragedy in NS:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/the_americas/nova-scotia-shootings-trudeau-gun-control-wortman-rcmp/2020/04/20/dbc54d40-829e-11ea-81a3-9690c9881111_story.html

I wonder if we will see a ban on civilian owned police uniforms, auctioned police vehicles and lights/sirens to go with the assault weapons.

LittleBlackDevil said:
Trudeau wasting no time whatsoever to capitalize on the tragedy in NS:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/the_americas/nova-scotia-shootings-trudeau-gun-control-wortman-rcmp/2020/04/20/dbc54d40-829e-11ea-81a3-9690c9881111_story.html
If you watch the interview, he was responding to a question from a reporter asking if gun control would be increased in response to the shooting.  He opened by correctly noting that it was too soon to speculate on specific reactions or decisions that should/could stem from these recent killings. 

Back