• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Great Gun Control Debate- 2.0

They go down, while the multi-charged/sentenced/released gang banger walks free to bang/kill again? 🤷🏻‍♂️
Both should be in jail. The law is the law, as much as I would like to concealed carry I don’t because the government has made it illegal. If he can’t follow the law himself, how can we expect him to enforce it?

They go down, while the multi-charged/sentenced/released gang banger walks free to bang/kill again? 🤷🏻‍♂️
The article says nothing about the accused Mountie being retained in custody.

Gang banger gets arrested with a loaded restricted handgun in their car. Gets charged with unauthorized possession etc. Released to appear in court at a later date.

Off-duty Mountie gets arrested with a loaded restricted handgun in their car. Gets charged with unauthorized possession etc. Released to appear in court at a later date.

I would suspect that neither had a PAL (unauthorized possession).

The article says nothing about the accused Mountie being retained in custody.

Gang banger gets arrested with a loaded restricted handgun in their car. Gets charged with unauthorized possession etc. Released to appear in court at a later date.

Off-duty Mountie gets arrested with a loaded restricted handgun in their car. Gets charged with unauthorized possession etc. Released to appear in court at a later date.

I would suspect that neither had a PAL (unauthorized possession).
Your off duty LE carry laws are retarded.
If a LEO is allowed to carry on duty, and they want to carry off duty, they should simply be held to the same standard of behavior as on duty carry (no drinking etc).

Your off duty LE carry gun laws are retarded.
FTFY :cool:
If a LEO is allowed to carry on duty, and they want to carry off duty, they should simply be held to the same standard of behavior as on duty carry (no drinking etc).
As should anyone who lawfully carries concealed.

I'm on the fence about the whole concealed carry concept. But it's a moot point as lawful handgun ownership will soon end up here anyways.

No disagreement here — the main reason my wife and I ruled Canada out as our home was the gun laws.
As should anyone who lawfully carries concealed.

I'm on the fence about the whole concealed carry concept. But it's a moot point as lawful handgun ownership will soon end up here anyways.
Concealed Carry is a huge boogie man, that like the Boogie man, has no real grounds for concern.

Law abiding gun owners aren’t an issue, the amount of crime that comes from this segment is significantly smaller than other populations.

Concealed Carry is a huge boogie man, that like the Boogie man, has no real grounds for concern.
Don't get me wrong. I'm not against concealed carry as long as the carrier has proper and professional training/certification and liability insurance.
Law abiding gun owners aren’t an issue, the amount of crime that comes from this segment is significantly smaller than other populations.
In the words of a Liberal MP "legal gun owners are only law abiding until they are not". Dumber words have rarely been spoken.

B.C. Mountie charged with possessing restricted firearm while off duty​

Let's see how this goes.
RCMP issued sidearm is a prohib, so we can reasonably infer from that it wasn’t his issued handgun. I’m as curious as anyone to hear what comes out on this one. Weird that I heard about it here first.

RCMP issued sidearm is a prohib, so we can reasonably infer from that it wasn’t his issued handgun.
Loaded, restricted handgun in a vehicle and unauthorized possession. More than one alleged offence here. I`m surprised there were no unsafe storage/transportation charges laid.
I’m as curious as anyone to hear what comes out on this one. Weird that I heard about it here first.
If the recent treatment by the courts of dumbass police officers doing stupid gun things is any indication, we will likely all be disappointed.

If the recent treatment by the courts of dumbass police officers doing stupid gun things is any indication, we will likely all be disappointed.
Which sentencing(s) are you referring to?

Which sentencing(s) are you referring to?
Not only sentencing in the criminal context, but generally.

The one referenced above by HB, for starters. (Yes, I understand the second and third order career impacts of this decision.)

Female RCMP member pointing her duty firearm at a colleague. (Code of Conduct hearing.)

RCMP member arrested at a firing range. (Still before the courts?)

Edmonton Police officer firing a round towards his colleagues. (No charges laid.)

Not only sentencing in the criminal context, but generally.

The one referenced above by HB, for starters.

Female RCMP member pointing her duty firearm at a colleague. (Code of Conduct hearing.)

RCMP member arrested at a firing range. (Still before the courts?)

Edmonton Police officer firing a round towards his colleagues. (No charges laid.)
Oh, ok. You said “the courts”. I was wondering if some disproportionately weak criminal verdicts had come down. The one HB referenced was a prosecutorial decision by crown.

IMHO, ALL firearms offences should attract significantly stiffer penalties, but that’s just me.

Oh, ok. You said “the courts”. I was wondering if some disproportionately weak criminal verdicts had come down.
Bad word choice on my part.
IMHO, ALL firearms offences should attract significantly stiffer penalties, but that’s just me.
We are are at odds with our elected leaders. I'm sure you are familiar with Bill C-5. And, I'm with you to a degree, particularly if the offence puts anyone at risk. Forgetting your paper ATT in the printer should not land you in prison and/or cause you to lose all your guns.

Mil/LE should be held to a higher standard as they have received professional and ongoing training in the safe use of firearms (we can argue about the quality and quantity of that training some other time). At the same time, the public has to understand that rank does beget increased competency with firearms. In fact, the inverse is true.

Bad word choice on my part.

We are are at odds with our elected leaders. I'm sure you are familiar with Bill C-5. And, I'm with you to a degree, particularly if the offence puts anyone at risk. Forgetting your paper ATT in the printer should not land you in prison and/or cause you to lose all your guns.

Mil/LE should be held to a higher standard as they have received professional and ongoing training in the safe use of firearms (we can argue about the quality and quantity of that training some other time). At the same time, the public has to understand that rank does beget increased competency with firearms. In fact, the inverse is true.
I don’t think we would argue about the quantity and quality of the training at all.

Hot air for public consumption.

The Alberta government may pay for RCMP, but they cannot order the RCMP to not enforce laws.
No, but they can ensure that they aren’t tasked outside their purview.

The RCMP/Fed Gov would need to pay for more members to do that, or pay overtime (which I’m not sure of the legality of that due to the contract arrangement).

Back