• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Great Gun Control Debate- 2.0

So
Mmmmm I dunno. You have some pretty substantial 'collectors' on this forum and I wouldn't they are wealthy. Most of them have built these collections over a lifetime.
Sorry, I was implying that historically that was the case, before the industry has become so regulated. Also, I know it is overly simplifying to define something as either only a tool, or a toy, but that's how I see things. If you buy a side-by-side to work your farm, its a tool. If you buy it to run the trails, its a toy. And the regulations governing the use are different.

So

Sorry, I was implying that historically that was the case, before the industry has become so regulated. Also, I know it is overly simplifying to define something as either only a tool, or a toy, but that's how I see things. If you buy a side-by-side to work your farm, its a tool. If you buy it to run the trails, its a toy. And the regulations governing the use are different.

All I was saying is in my experience firearms collectors aren't mostly a wealthy lot. I would say middle class. Go to any local gun show, you will meet these folks.

What if the farmer uses the SxS for work on the farm and then takes the missus out for a rip in the evenings, for fun, in the same SxS ?

All I was saying is in my experience firearms collectors aren't mostly a wealthy lot. I would say middle class. Go to any local gun show, you will meet these folks.
Firearms ownership is like owning horses. Once you start, you will no longer have disposable income.
What if the farmer uses the SxS for work on the farm and then takes the missus out for a rip in the evenings, for fun, in the same SxS ?
Different rules could apply.

On the farm, no insurance or registration required. No helmets or seat belts. No signal or driving lights. Go as fast as you want wherever you want.

For trail use off your property you'd need licence and registration, insurance, a trail pass and the requirement to wear helmets and seat belts as well as adhere to the highway laws while transiting to and from the trails would be in play.

So

I think the changes more started with the media attention on it all as well as the lack of exposure to them. Before a large percentage of the population was rural or lived rural at some point. Now its the opposite with substantially more urban population and very little exposure to rural life from the urban population.

The urban population generally only sees firearms as something criminals use or something to use for self defence. They want strong restrictions because they see it as a way of preventing crime. Currently the desire to use it for self defence in Canada is quite low, but if the government doesn’t sort out the crime I could see it going up.

The urban population generally only sees firearms as something criminals use or something to use for self defence. They want strong restrictions because they see it as a way of preventing crime. Currently the desire to use it for self defence in Canada is quite low, but if the government doesn’t sort out the crime I could see it going up.
Some of my single male friends don't talk about the shooting sports while dating, at least for the first few dates.

My youngest posted an action style photo on her FB from a handgun range day we did. Several of her friends of both primary genders quit talking to her.

Gun owners, particularly handgun owners, have deliberately kept a low profile for fear of drawing media and social justice warrior attention to their hobby. Sort of a "Fight Club" mentality.

The former president of my club, for example, was dead set against putting signs on the gate by the road identifying us as a club/range. Now, we've come full circle and are hosting our third National Range Day open house on June 1st.

Back