• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Great Boot Review

My brown SWAT 9s came in Friday. Could be the most comfortable boots I've ever wore. Actually was nice to break them in. Certainly didn't happen that way with the Mk. 3s, or the Mk.4s for that matter.

Harder to find the Coyote Brown SWATs, I ordered mine on Amazon for my tour, and had my old deserts shipped from Canada. They are super comfortable, although they are not quite as durable as I'd like.

Thanks for the input!

Last question: anyone have any experience with Converse boots?  I'm leaning towards 5.11, Original SWATs and Magnums, but I found some Converses that would be considerably cheaper.  If they're shyte, I don't want to even consider them though..  Just wondering if they are worth a look, or if I should steer clear.

Cheers

RangerRay said:
Thanks for the input!

Last question: anyone have any experience with Converse boots?  I'm leaning towards 5.11, Original SWATs and Magnums, but I found some Converses that would be considerably cheaper.  If they're shyte, I don't want to even consider them though..  Just wondering if they are worth a look, or if I should steer clear.

Cheers

You have to tick off cost against all the other factors like weight, durability and wear. My Magnum Stealth safety boots are going on three years and are still holding up excellent. Well worth the cost. I bought another pair at Mister Safety Shoe http://www.mistersafetyshoes.com/en/Magnum8_Boot just recently but they're just sitting as spares right now. I really don't expect to use them for some time yet.

I'm definitely leaning towards the Magnums based on what I'm reading here, and my other research.  I'll be going out boot shopping soon to try different ones on, and if I like how they fit, I will probably buy them, regardless of how much cheaper the Converses I found are.  Just trying down to narrow down my choices when I finally go shopping.  :nod:

SWATs all the way.  I used to be a huge fan of magnum, picking up my first pair of Stealth II's in '07 when I first got my boot chit. They were GREAT!! However, after giving them hell for three years, and getting jacked up by a few RSM's, I finally had to switch out. I found out, at the time they no longer made the Stealh II's and had to go with the Stealth Force. Wasn't a big fan of the look, or the price (over $200 if I recall), but was a loyal user.  I got the same size, and wore the same socks, but they destroyed my ankles. I tried returning them to the shop I bought them from, but they wouldn't take them back because they had been worn, (2 days, and a coat of polish). I was told to contact Magnum, and that they wouldn't f*ck over a military guy... long story short, they f*cked me, and I still have those damn boots... But I also own 2 pairs of SWATs, and will never go back. The SWATs aren't as cushy as the Magnums, but personally i think they look better, they're sturdier, and they don't rot as fast.

In the end, it's definitely personal preference and whatever your feet like more, but so far I have found that SWATs are way better quality over-all and better suited for a military boot.

Just my opinion of course

Well, I went out and bought the Magnum Stealth Force 8.0 SZ CT CP with side zip.

http://www.magnumboots.com/ca/boots/professional/459/stealth-force-80-sz-ctcp/

They are very comfortable so far, though at first I thought there was too much room in the toes.  When fitting them, they took the insoles out to make room for my orthotics.  When I got home, I loosened them all the way, but both the insoles and orthotics back in, then tightened them up all the way.  Now they fit like a glove.  Sometimes the zipper binds; I just have to take my time zipping them when I put them on.  It was pretty hard deciding between the 6" and 8", but opted for the greater ankle support in the 8".

My only regret is not being able to find the all-leather model, as per recceguy's last.  I also tried 5.11 Tactical's ATAC 8" Shield CSA http://www.511tactical.com/All-Products/Footwear/Safety-Toe-Boot/ATAC-8-Shield-CSAASTM-Boot.html .  They fit very similarly to the Magnums, but I chose the Magnums because of the cut-out at the back, which prevents the boot edge from digging into your calf while sitting or driving.

So far, I'm impressed.

recceguy said:
For work I wear the Magnum Stealth Force 8" Side Zip Composite Toe and Composite Plate.

http://www.magnumbootstore.ca/stealthforce8-5319.aspx

The boots are CSA approved safety footwear. They weigh about as much as a pair of running shoes and feel about the same. Once you put them on and lace them, you get in and out by the zipper after that. My boots are on and ready in about 15 seconds.

Safety is my job and I love these boots. Cool and moisture wicking in the summer and warm and dry in the winter.

For safety boots, you can't beat these. I've never had a problem with drying out or cracking and the zippers, heck the whole boot, is as good as the day I started wearing them 2 years ago.

I've been looking at these however there are no local retailers that carry them forcing me to order online. My issued boot size is 285/108, what is that in normal sizing?

What's your running shoe size?  For me,  Magnums and SWAT ran the same size as my shoes.

-Skeletor- said:
What's your running shoe size?  For me,  Magnums and SWAT ran the same size as my shoes.

Got it, thanks.

Hoplite- said:

Same for myself, I was however able to stop over at SWAT  Canada in Georgetown just west of Toronto and try a few pairs on then I ordered them from one of there retailers.  They should be in the next day or so.

WPJ said:
Same for myself, I was however able to stop over at SWAT  Canada in Georgetown just west of Toronto and try a few pairs on then I ordered them from one of there retailers.  They should be in the next day or so.

Picked up the Chase boots today 12W ad they fit great lighter than anything I have had before, can't wait to wear them some more.

Any suggestions for good socks?

Uhhhhh...did you just reply to yourself and then ask yourself a question?  ???

:Tin-Foil-Hat:

I've been loyally wearing SWATS for 2 years,and I really like them. I'm wondering though, if there are any boots out there that are generally considered to outperform them? I'm consiering my next pair (as my SWATS are getting old) to be maybe Rocky's or the Nike SFB's

If you try on a pair of Danners you won't be able to buy anything else.

I'm looking for something athletic and lightweight in nature. Does Danner have anything like that to offer?

If you go to the Uniform sub-forum, there are several threads on boots.

Just having trouble finding things on here. Just getting used to the layout

kelsauce said:
I'm looking for something athletic and lightweight in nature. Does Danner have anything like that to offer?

http://www.danner.com/product/law-enforcement/tachyon-8-black.html

http://www.bellevilleboot.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=98

Or Rocky C4T's which are $100 in Gagetown.

Back