• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

THE GOOD OLE DAYS

GWAD I'm a yun'g.

Remember when:

The A club was the place to be?

There where 2.5 McDonald's on base?

The base OR was on the T line?

The BBS ran daily?

The Rod and Gun was an all ranks mess?

recceguy said:
When I first got stationed to Pet, the train stopped at Doran St and old Hwy 17 and the conductor tossed my two kit bags out into the dark. I climbed down two steps and jumped into chest deep snow and watched the train go north in the dark, at 22:00 on a Saturday night. Fortunately, I had been to the camp before and knew which way to walk and where the Unit lines were.

:facepalm:

Jeebus,

We haven't broke the first page, and the first story about traveling through snow uphill to get to work has already appeared!  God bless ya Recce!

dileas

tess

the 48th regulator said:
:facepalm:

Jeebus,

We haven't broke the first page, and the first story about traveling through snow uphill to get to work has already appeared!  God bless ya Recce!

dileas

tess
In the dark............on a Saturday.........both ways :rofl:

What ever happened to:

Bayonets that didn't break

Poison tablets to cook with

A helmet you could cook in

Boeing 707 milk runs

(Leaky) C47 flights over the rockies

Starting the army with Rifles made of wood and metal, then switching over to Plastic.

Speaking of Plastic, Magazines.

Melmac

Tan Whistle Cords on the left Shoulder

Cabbage Rolls and Chicken Chow Mein being new IMPs

Pay parade, then spending it all at Mcveys Irish Pub

Using your Social Insurance number forever, then given a card with your "New" service number

Gortex a concept as rare as colonizing Mars

Being in awe that the Platoon WO can predict what is on the menu, for hay boxes based on the weather.  Rain  Stew,  Hot Humid Chili or Chicken.....

Having gone to Cypress meant you had been in the "Shit", and were looked up to. (This included Fall EX in Germany)

The Keener, High tech gear whores, used older kit, not store bought new.  Jump Rucks as opposed to the Cloth Hanger ruck of the 90s

And finally, Tess 1989 Black Down Park Borden doing his Driver Wheel Course Age 18 (Just turned)....

273_21695918652_8342_n.jpg

dileas

tess

PS  That is Dangerboy to the left in the pic.

Webbo.

Bacon and egg in a can IRPs.

Ham lunglette.  In a new fangled bag. I loved that.

M113s, with the fuel tank inside.

Whatever happened to:

Staying up until 4:00 am every night to charge the lead acid batteries for the C42 sets.

Leaving Pet in the middle of a snow storm for 6 month deployment to Ismailia Egypt. The ordered dress, S3 with great coat, it was so cold that I actually wore my Russian fur hat! Over the course of 24 hours, I was peeling off layers like an onion.
My fur hat was left in the Ottawa AMU and my great coat in the Lahr AMU. Getting off the 707 in Cairo, some knob yelled at us to put on our tunics and square away our ties! We were then stuffed into a nasty bus withour air conditioning for what seemed like a 200 km trip across the desert in 90 degree temperatures. No plastic water bottles, no water cans, no rest stops and by the time the buses reached the airfield camp, I was sitting there in my nicks, a t shirt and black nylon socks cursing our so-called leadership for BS we had just suffered through!  >:D
Of course, some 12e RBC dink took exception to my voiced concerns, little did I know he'd be my troop WO for the last few weeks of his tour... Good old days? Not really!

I am a little surprised no one has mentioned the spiffy yet, like "there I was on CO's parade and inspection, and my spiffy popped."

Another feature of the good ole days was that when a stupid order down the chain, you were never sure if the issuer was drunk or stupid. Now, at least there is no doubt.

What ever happened to: meal tickets for train travel marked "No steak."

(My remembrance is that meals on the train were quite adequate and on a cross country trip (I had to go all the way from Petawawa to Chilliwack, by rail, a three day trip, each way, for a three day course!) we had one unmarked/steak dinner ticket.)

Old Sweat said:
I am a little surprised no one has mentioned the spiffy yet, like "there I was on CO's parade and inspection, and my spiffy popped."

Another feature of the good ole days was that when a stupid order down the chain, you were never sure if the issuer was drunk or stupid. Now, at least there is no doubt.

My god, yes and ... whatever happend to: pack frames and detention barracks style bed rolls in depot and on junior NCO course?

- Two cans of boot-care product:  flat silicone, and shiny-gooey black.

- Ration packs with can openers that lasted a looooooooooooooong time
Canadian_Can_Opener.jpg

- using frisbees instead of melmac plates because the melmac versions kept breaking in the rucksack (that may have been a localized practice)

milnews.ca said:
- Ration packs with can openers that lasted a looooooooooooooong time
Canadian_Can_Opener.jpg

We loved our "John Waynes' ". I still had one from '68 up until a few years ago...dunno where it went...

Ham & Lima Beans for C-rations.......everybody fought over them....to not get them!!

Whatever happened to: Compo Rations (10 man pack) with M&V (Meat and Veggies) known to one and all as Muck & Vomit?

(In reality, Compo were good, substantial, even generous and, occasionally, tasty rations; BUT they had to be cooked.)

Tinned Cross and Blackwell chocolate walnut cake.

E.R. Campbell said:
What ever happened to:

3. Pay parades?
milnews.ca said:
While being paid in cash?

And on 15 Dec getting mid AND end month pay.  (Then the line ups for advances come first day back to work in Jan because people had already spent everything)

And then there was the pay parade in 1959 which was designed to impress the local community with how much the forces pumped into the economy. In Petawawa, and I think elsewhere in Ontario, we were all paid with two dollar bills. The pay parade took forever because of the time taken to count out, for example forty bucks in twos instead of two twenties. The stores in Pembroke literally had bags and bags of two dollar bills behind the counters and they could not close their cash registers. As this was a Friday and banks did not open on the weekend back then, some merchants must have had a rather nervous weekend what with unable to get all the money in their safe.

People will tell you it is an urban legend, but it ain't.

Back