• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The General Hillier Years. The Merged Superthread

bossi

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
I first laid eyes on this bio on Friday, at the parade in Petawawa - it's also on the DND/CF website.

"General Rick" certainly has an awesome sense of humour, eh?  And, at least he and the Lieutenant-Governor showed up for the parade, as did somebody's family who drove all the way from ALBERTA (but of course, the Minister of Defence and Papa Doc Crouton were no-shows ... and as a result CBC NewsWorld didn't even show the parade)

Here's the bio, and coverage of the parade:

(not only was this bio printed in the program for Friday's parade, but it's on the DND/CF website!)

Lieutenant-General Rick Hillier was born in Newfoundland and joined the army as soon as he could. After graduating from Memorial University of Newfoundland in 1975 with a Bachelor of Science Degree, and having completed armour officer classification training; he was posted to his first regiment, the 8th Canadian Hussars (Princess Louise?s) in Petawawa, Ontario, and subsequently, to the Royal Canadian Dragoons. He has served as a Dragoon since then.

Throughout his career, LGen Hillier has had the privilege and pleasure of commanding troops from platoon to division and having worked as a staff officer in both Army headquarters in Montreal and National Defence Headquarters in Ottawa. He has served throughout Canada, twice in both Europe and the United States and has enough time with the United Nations and NATO forces in the former Yugoslavia to be eligible to vote there.

In 1998 LGen Hillier was appointed as the Canadian Deputy Commanding General of III Armoured Corps, US Army in Fort Hood Texas and, following that, in 2000, as Commander, Multinational Division (Southwest) in Bosnia. On return to Canada, he assumed the duties of Assistant Chief of Land Staff and on 30 May 03 was appointed as the Chief of the Land Staff.

LGen Hillier enjoys most recreational pursuits but, in particular, runs slowly, plays hockey poorly and golfs not well at all.

++++

Army needs your support, General says

Chris Wattie  
National Post

Saturday, June 28, 2003
The commander of Canada's army told more than 3,000 troops bound for overseas missions yesterday that the Canadian public will "walk with them" when they are deployed to far-off countries such as Afghanistan.

But Lieutenant-General Rick Hillier, the Canadian Forces chief of land staff, said the country needs to pay more attention to its land forces.

"I have a lot of sympathy for the vast majority of the 31 million Canadians who will never get to see you and just what great Canadians you are and how well you represent them," Lt.-Gen. Hillier told the soldiers of 2nd Canadian Mechanized Brigade Group, parading in CFB Petawawa. "And that is a sad thing."

"I call upon Canadians to really, actually start taking an interest in their army, because I'd like to underscore for them that when a single Canadian soldier walks on soil in a foreign, hostile land, every single Canadian walks with him or her. They need to pay attention to their army. They need to visibly support you, and they need to ensure that you are set up for success."

The troops of the brigade, whose members will begin shipping out for missions in Bosnia and Afghanistan in a few weeks, were holding their final parade before going overseas.

The parade included soldiers of the 3rd Battalion, Royal Canadian Regiment, deploying on Operation Athena to Kabul in August, and troopers of the Royal Canadian Dragoons, bound for Operation Palladium in Bosnia in September.

After reviewing the parade, Lt.-Gen. Hillier made an unusual break with military protocol and asked the soldiers standing at attention to break their ranks and gather around him.

"Now I've got to tell you I love formations, and this is one of the finest formations of soldiers I have ever seen," the general said, to applause and cheers from the ranks. "And I'm sorry, I'm going to break up your formation. I want the soldiers on the flanks and the soldiers in the centre out here to squeeze forward right up to me here.... I like to be able to see those soldiers' faces."

Lt.-Gen. Hillier acknowledged that the coming mission to Afghanistan will be dangerous, but pledged to give the battle group in Kabul "whatever they need."

Commanders have rated the threat to the Canadian contingent, part of the 5,000-strong, 29-nation International Security Assistance Force as high, and some military intelligence estimates have predicted a near certainty of Canadian fatalities on the 12-month mission.

Lt.-Gen. Hillier however, advised the soldiers yesterday to minimize the risks.

"Be vigilant. Use the training. Use the experience. Listen to your leadership, ears and eyes open and just go do the job. Do it as you professional Canadian soldiers can only do it. And come home safely. That's what we want you to do."

Major General Andrew Leslie, who will be the senior Canadian officer in Kabul, said that without the NATO-run force in Afghanistan, the country would quickly slide back into anarchy.

"It would devolve very quickly back down into all-out war, quite frankly. That's how potentially grim the situation is," he told reporters after the parade.

The force assembled for the missions in Bosnia and Afghanistan represents a third of the Canadian army's field soldiers, leaving the rest of the army stretched thin, critics say.

cwattie@nationalpost.com

++++
Afghanistan mission a test of mettle

By DANIEL LEBLANC
From Saturday's Globe and Mail

UPDATED AT 2:08 AM EDT  Saturday, Jun. 28, 2003

CFB Petawawa ? A dozen wives nervously tended youngsters in strollers behind the bleachers while a mother cried in the stands.

Behind the stiffness of a military parade for 1,800 Canadian troops on their way to Afghanistan yesterday, the thoughts of family members and friends turned often to their greatest fear: suicide bombers pouncing on loved ones in the streets of Kabul.

Victoria Kirbyson drove from Alberta to see her son parade in this army base in eastern Ontario. Sergeant John Kirbyson will soon embark on his fifth foreign mission, and his mother said this one is the hardest for her. Emotional throughout the day, Ms. Kirbyson saw to it that her hands were never far from the tissues in her pockets.

"We're not too sure about this one," she said of her son's impending mission. "Here, we have such a strong desire for life, but they just don't seem to have that respect for life."

The Canadian Forces have made no attempt to hide the dangers of the mission from the soldiers and their families. Short of straight-out combat, this is the most dangerous of deployments.

Afghanistan is teetering on the edge of anarchy. Four German soldiers were killed on June 7 when a suicide bomber attacked a bus that was taking them to the airport for a flight home.

"My greatest fear, and arguably the greatest fear of the soldiers, is a suicide bomber," said Major-General Andrew Leslie, who will be the deputy commander of the multinational International Security Assistance Force in Kabul.

"Despite all the military training and the vigilance and the attention to detail, it's very, very tough . . . to defend yourself against someone who is willing to die to kill you," he said.

Soldiers say they have been trained to avoid the danger. They've been told to be attentive to details around them, to avoid using the same routes, always to know where they are, and never to take anything for granted.

Captain Jennifer Casey said the trick will be for Canadians to be "firm, friendly, fair and professional."

Captain Brian Healy, who will oversee the street patrols, is calling for constant vigilance. "There is no known enemy. Every time someone comes and takes a picture of Canadian soldiers, there is a concern for us. We have to see why they're taking that picture."

While clearly aware of the threat, the father of two is loath to talk about it with his family. "It's not something I bring up at the supper table," he said.

His wife, Kathy, acknowledged that these are stressful times. All the soldiers have been granted a month's leave before they head out to Afghanistan in August. The vacation is welcome, but too short, she said.

"It all seems surreal right now. Probably two or three days before he goes, it will hit me," Ms. Healy said of her husband's first foreign deployment. "He doesn't like to talk about it. He's upset about leaving the kids, particularly."

Sgt. Kirbyson's family hope that this is the last time he leaves the country for a six-month rotation. He jokes that he's bought a pool with the extra allowance he is getting for the mission, calling it a "guilt gift."

But his wife, Heather, said that no amount of money or extra leave is worth it.

His 10-year-old daughter, Rebecca, said that spending July with her dad does not change the fact that "he is still going away."

On the other hand, the unmarried younger soldiers who will be patrolling the streets of Kabul seem to deal with the threat of suicide-bombers with a shrug or a laugh, pointing out that there's not much they can do after a bomb goes off.

"That's why we've just been given a month's leave," Corporal Glen Phillips said, eating a hamburger and joking with half-a-dozen colleagues after the morning procession.

For them, the partying that comes with one month's leave was just an hour away.

More than 3,000 soldiers had gathered on this windy morning in Petawawa for what is called an operational-readiness parade. It's the official signal that they are trained and ready to go.

Looking at his troops, Lieutenant-General Rick Hillier pointed out that fully one-third of Canada's field army was in front of him, about to leave the country.

In addition to 1,800 soldiers going to Afghanistan, another 1,300 are set to leave for Bosnia. The dual missions are a clear sign that the Canadian Forces are playing a significant role on the world stage these days ? and being spread thin.

"We're stretched," Lt.-Gen. Hillier said, while praising his soldiers' professionalism and dedication.

The Canadian Forces are coming off a rough decade, during they were hit by billions in cutbacks, scandal in Somalia, and high-profile failures such as an aborted mission to Zaire in 1996.

The Department of National Defence received an $800-million boost to its budget earlier this year, but the full effects have yet to trickle down and heal all the wounds that years of cuts created.

That is why Ottawa's plans for Afghanistan didn't get off to a smooth start. Senior officers said it would take too much of a toll on tired troops, but the government insisted it was within its rights to order their deployment.

"In a democracy, the army does not decide where to deploy the army. The elected government makes that decision," Defence Minister John McCallum said in February.

To avoid accusations that it has deliberately sent Canadian troops into harm's way, however, he added that the government would spare neither money or effort to ensure that those in Kabul have all the necessary equipment.

Army spokesman Captain Jay Jansen said soldiers have received new gear, such as lighter and cooler load-bearing vests and flak jackets. The soldiers also have new laser sights and night-vision equipment, and will have both green and desert-tan uniforms in Afghanistan.

"There's a lot of new stuff coming in the system," Capt. Janzen said.

Toward the end of the parade, Gen. Hillier called on his troops, who were lined up at the edges of a large public square, to gather into a tight, informal huddle close to him. He vowed that they would have all necessary equipment to "come home safely."

The message was well-received, but years of cutbacks have left their mark.

"Canada has probably one of the best trained armies in the world," Ms. Healy said. "Best equipped? That's debatable. But trained, yes."

- 30 -

The parade was on CTV. I remember when Rick was a Capt. He was a great CO. Possible in Law to my Oldest? He will make a great CDS. One of the few with balls.

:evil: :tank:

i was quite impressed with his approach at this speech. It felt like a close family thing...like we are in this together. Sometimes as a Canadian Forces member you can feel left out by the public. I get a feeling he is addressing that.

I was at that parade. It was quite an impressive speach to say the least, one of the best i‘ve been privy to recieving. Him having us break ranks was pretty funny considering the work that went into sorting everything out.
Eairlier in the week he came for a run with us and chatted up the troops. Great leader.

CP: Hillier to be new chief of defence staff
Canadian Press

OTTAWA â ” Lt.-Gen. Rick Hillier to be named new chief of defence staff, The Canadian Press has learned.

Hillier, currently head of the army, will replace Gen. Ray Henault who is leaving in April to take over NATO's top military post in Brussels.

Hillier was chosen over two other main contenders -- the deputy chief of defence staff, Vice-Adm. Greg Maddison, and the vice-chief of defence staff, Vice-Adm. Ron Buck.

More to come
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/1105558956485_100968156?hub=Canada

as promised by ctv.ca here is the "more to follow":
Hillier, 49, commanded NATO's 36-country International Security Assistance Force in Kabul from February to August last year. He also commanded military operations during the ice storm of 1998.

Defence sources said he has more operational experience than any three-star general in the Canadian Forces.

Popular with the rank-and-file, Hillier was born in Newfoundland and joined the army as soon as he could.

He graduated from Memorial University of Newfoundland in 1975 with a Bachelor of Science degree, then completed armour officer classification training before he was posted to the 8th Canadian Hussars (Princess Louise's) in Petawawa, Ont., and subsequently, the Royal Canadian Dragoons.

He has also worked as a staff officer in both army headquarters in Montreal and National Defence Headquarters in Ottawa.

He has served throughout Canada, twice in Europe and the United States and, according to his biography, has enough time with the United Nations and NATO forces in the former Yugoslavia "to be eligible to vote there.''

In 1998, he was appointed the Canadian Deputy Commanding General of III Armoured Corps, U.S. Army in Fort Hood, Texas, and in 2000 as commander of the Multinational Division (Southwest) in Bosnia.

He was appointed chief of the army on May 30, 2003.

His biography on the National Defence website says Hillier enjoys most recreational pursuits "but, in particular, runs slowly, plays hockey poorly and golfs not well at all.''
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/1105558956485_100968156/?hub=TopStories

Defence sources said he has more operational experience than any three-star general in the Canadian Forces

Interesting...................

MikeM said:
:salute: Good to see an army guy get the post!

I was just going to post the same thing.

For those of you that know more about him, how do you think he will do in the position?

Many thanks,

Matthew.  :salute:

Bit of a suprise because he just became CLS and theres still lots of work to do within the Army. We can't afford transformation to go off the rails, because a new CLS isn't on board. Hillier took over the vision from Jeffery, was moving it forward and would have pass the torch to the next CLS. The gov't probably picked him ( if this isn't a rumour) because he's high profile and clean. He'll do a good job, but what happens after. He's still a young guy (relatively speaking).

In my opinion, his selection isn't a long term thought out process. Another knee jerk photo op. He still has a lot to do within the army, and no harm is done if he takes the CDS in three years down the road. It proves there is no strategic vision for the Forces. You would think there would be succession plan for such an important postion of CDS, but this isn't obviously so.

If this comes true, who will be the next CLS - Leslie?

I dread having Rick Hillier as CDS as he already publically stated a couple of years ago IIRC that he would favour the army over the other elements, so I am not sure how well he wil be for the Navy and Air Force but I am betting dark days are coming for us. :(

I was really impressed when I met him. He seemed honest, sincere, smart and in touch with what was going on in the Canadian Forces. he also had a good sense of humor.
I've found he speaks with people and not to them. When he chatted with the troops he asked interesting questions and seemed genuine in hearing what the guys were saying and not doing the standard "hi where are you from, how long have you been in, hows the food, see you later" type of automatic questions some visiting higher ups ask sometimes.   He reminds me of some of the officers we have on army.ca . Honest and speak whats on their mind and not whats PC or cater to whichever crowd they are adressing.  Often troops will bend over backwards trying to get out of speaking to which ever VIP visits. I found troops were going out of their way to chat with him.

As for what he'll do for the CF thats way beyond me, just stating my first impression of him.

Ex-Dragoon said:
I dread having Rick Hillier as CDS as he already publically stated a couple of years ago IIRC that he would favour the army over the other elements,

I remember that interview, we have it somewhere on these forums....

Ex-Dragoon said:
I dread having Rick Hillier as CDS as he already publically stated a couple of years ago IIRC that he would favour the army over the other elements, so I am not sure how well he wil be for the Navy and Air Force but I am betting dark days are coming for us. :(

No doubt Buck will "assist" if Hillier strays out of his "element."  Is it possible to paint the CPF's in CADPAT before the change in command?

Well go figure he would favour the Army - look at the workload - in deployed personnel...

I saw him once and everyone I know who has worked for him  [ including a few Royals that I have the utmost respect for] speak volumes about him.

Ex-Dragoon said:

Better you then soon to be me  :blotto:

Ex-Dragoon said:

This may be a dumb question but did Henault favour the Air Force over the other elements?  Or was he a lame duck all around?

KevinB said:
Well go figure he would favour the Army - look at the workload - in deployed personnel...
I saw him once and everyone I know who has worked for him   [ including a few Royals that I have the utmost respect for] speak volumes about him.
I used to work for him as well as he was once my CO, but somewhere down the line he lost something. He wanted tanks back in Pet', now he is supporting the MGS?? Kind of a complete turn around if you ask me.

Jay hunter said:
Better you then soon to be me
Glad to see how you think I might not be able to do my is such   good thing!   ::)    

spenco said:
This may be a dumb question but did Henault favour the Air Force over the other elements?  Or was he a lame duck all around?
No but thats not the point what I am talking about was what Lt General said about two years ago.

KevinB said:

I saw him once and everyone I know who has worked for him [ including a few Royals that I have the utmost respect for] speak volumes about him.

Well, I had him as a CO, and he was only fair...He has the gift of gab.....I am greatly put off by him now after his full page letter in the Ottawa Citizen praising the MGS and stating that tanks are obsolete....He is now a politician and as such plays to the whims of the Liberals.  It is a shame to say he wore the Black Beret.

However, it does open up the job of CLS for another fine Dragoon, now in Iraq, MGen Walt Natynczyk, whom many were speculating recently as being a good nomination for CDS.  A much better choice in my opinion, but to low in the pecking order.  The next in line will be Navy, if the rotation continues per normal.

GW

Back