• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Forgotten Tours: Op Halo/Op Sculpture: After almost 10 years -- still no medal or recognition

armyvern

Army.ca Myth
Mentor
Reaction score
George Wallace said:
I think you are a little off base on those facts.  I am sure that those currently serving in places like 'France' would be paying the same Taxes that we paid when we were in Germany - Ontario Taxes.   Your Belleville Postal Address being the determining factor. 

As for medals, there are criteria set out at the beginning of Ops that will determine what, if there is to be, medal will be awarded.  Perhaps a 'generic' "Support Medal" should be created for things like that.......wait......the SSM has bars for things like ALERT, NATO, .............

That is my point eactly George,

This rule of eligibility based on level of risk is applicable only to us federal employees who are employed outside the country for 183 days or more.

The guy living in France for 6.5 months is a civilian...thus he is considered a non-resident (because he lives out for 183 days or more) and thus he is paying tax on income he makes only while he is in Canada.

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/40967/post-487921.html#msg487921

The civvies have always been tax-free when working/living outside the country for 183 days or more. This tax-benefit has only recently been afforded to members of the CF....

So, in essence, pers in Afghanistan are only getting what any other "non-military" person who is outside the country for 183 days or more gets. So if you happen to get posted to CM to do your job, you are NOT enjoying the same tax-break that a civilian living in the French Riviera for 183 days enjoys. That's the point.

Captain (Army) Scarlet ,

As you can see there, we're not entitled for a MINUSTAH (at least for people part of HALO) (90 days, beginning after June 1st 04).

http://www.forces.gc.ca/DHH/honours_awards/engraph/honour_awards_e.asp?cat=3&Q_ID=126

But for the MIF (first half of ROTO), nothing heard. I got the CPSM, thats all.

What's wrong with the SSM with a "Haiti" clasp? 
I'd like to know...

If I recall, those of us on the last plane out were a mere 14 days short of the MINUSTA medal (those that were there for the duration or since 04 Jun).  Oh well.

MM

Apparently there is a medal that will be awarded for OP Halo. The CSM from my half of the tour says that it is in front of the Governor General for approval and should be presented this year hopefully. Further I noticed on my MPRR that I have now served 90 days on OP Halo and not the 52 that was there before. Others should check there MPRR's as well. Maybe some sort of waiver has been given so we will all receive the Minustah medal.

medicineman said:
If I recall, those of us on the last plane out were a mere 14 days short of the MINUSTA medal (those that were there for the duration or since 04 Jun).  Oh well.

MM

On Op Archer Roto 1, members of TF Orion were even closer that for time towards the GCS (ISAF), but nobody in the BG got it.  We were all awarded the SWASM for our time on OEF.  You think an exception might have been made for the BG that set the conditions for the transition from OEF to ISAF.  As well our bloodiest day of fighting was under ISAF.  Actually four members of my platoon did get the GCS - they were KIA.

Dirty Patricia said:
Actually four members of my platoon did get the GCS - they were KIA.
I think that we missed the boat on the honours and awards for our service in Afghanistan.  You and yours fought and served alongside those who were KIA (and thus eligible for the GCS); however, you and yours who didn't fall didn't get it.  I find that wrong.

Same here,

Thanks for the update. Keep us informed! If they extend some people (of the 2nd rotation) to be eligible for the MINUSTAH medal, it still doesn't cover people that were there from the beginning, before the MINUSTAH eligibility period. I'll still look at my MPRR to see if anything changed... :salute:

Checked my MPRR - it would seem that my exit date is still the same.  Ho Hiddly Hum.  Who knows though - watch and shoot I guess.

MM

Same here,
My dates didn`t change a tad. March 17th-August 1st. We`ll see.Have a good one!

Back