• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The FN MK48 MOD 0 Machine Gun

Spr.Earl

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
Heres a link.
I like the sounds of it.

http://www.military.com/soldiertech/0,14632,Soldiertech_Mk48,,00.html?ESRC=soldiertech.nl

Doesn't look half bad. I love the picture with it frozen in ice...saying the weapon can handle extreme conditions

Seems like an excellent suppliment to the C-6. I'd rather be humping that through the woods any day.

looks like a nice peice of kit,for closen with an destroyin :skull:

It looks like an excellent weapon.  The frozen picture is interesting...

A 7.62 version of the C9? Is that like a light version of the C6? It seems an excellent upgrade to an existing system but hardly revolutionary. 

Yes it is basically an upscale Mk46 (SF M249/C9)

It took almost 60 years to improve the FN MAG. I hope this new gun will stand the test of time.

It won't is the the same disposable machien gun construction as the C9/M249/Mk46

To lightly constructed to have a long service life.

If you read the (rather poorly written) article, you'll note that it is not a replacement for the platoon GPMG, but a section weapon for SOF use.

Dude I got to use one  ;D I know a few guys who work for FNMI...

I know what it is for - the problem is - some posting on here did not seem to understand that...

I know what it is for

Comment wasn't directed at you, as much as I like pushing my luck around here, I'm not quite ready to give the infamous KevinB any weapons lectures yet. Give me a few more weeks.

My point was
some posting on here did not seem to understand that...

I figured that you knew that I knew that I knew that I -- well you get the idea...  ;D

a_majoor said:
Seems like an excellent suppliment to the C-6. I'd rather be humping that through the woods any day.
Got that right. ;)

The MK48 will be most appreciated in fibua and urban ops.  All it needs is a collapsible stock and your good to go.  Almost makes me want to hump all that 7.62 ammo.

Looks like a rather promising weapon system, I mean what soldier wouldn't want the advantages of the c-9 with the punch of 7.62?  If it's anything like what we've seen from FN in the past then whoever gets it is gonna be one lucky SOB, but what are our chances?

Adair said:
Looks like a rather promising weapon system, I mean what soldier wouldn't want the advantages of the c-9 with the punch of 7.62?   If it's anything like what we've seen from FN in the past then whoever gets it is gonna be one lucky SOB, but what are our chances?
ZERO
It is SOF specific weapon - it is not designed for general usage.

What advantages of the C9?

CFN. Orange said:
... I love the picture with it frozen in ice...saying the weapon can handle extreme conditions
(kinda reminds me of my windshield washer pump this week ...)

Yup - it's interesting to see two conflicting schools of thought clash - the 5.56 vs. 7.62 debate again.
Sure, the C9 uses the same calibre as all the C7's in the section, but ... it's kinda like the Hallmark card commercial ("... when you care enough to send the best ...") - it's nice to have covering fire that's a little more "potent" ... $0.02

I disagree that is is a conflicting school - 7.62mm has range that 5.56mm does not - Cinder block wall - 7.62 is much more effective.

More after supper.

KevinB said:
I disagree that is is a conflicting school - 7.62mm has range that 5.56mm does not - Cinder block wall - 7.62 is much more effective.

While you're chowing down ... I think you might have misunderstood me.
I'm in favour of 7.62 - I was merely pointing out that somebody, somewhere, thought it was a good idea to make the C9's the same calibre as the C7's (instead of keeping both C6 and C9 as 7.62)

Back