• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The fleet ships out!

Baz said:
Actually, there are only three helo dets on each coast right now.  So, one of the two decks on ops has one, and two of the five decks on the exercise has one.

Interestingly, one of the ships that can't sail right now, Montreal, is getting ready for the CH148 trials det.

Yes she is to be the first one being refitted to take the cyclone
Funny too cause they are going to have to sail in some bad weather in order to test her stability with the new hangar I understand.

geo said:
BTW, we know about the Subs  but, WRT those 4 Frigates and 3 MCDVs - are they fully crewed or is crew shortages the reason why they stayed dockside?

Typically only 5 out of 6 MCDVs are completely crewed on each coast.  The 6th is known as the Extended Readiness one.  They rotate through with having one ship as the "down boat" for anywhere from 4-12 months for repairs/overhauls etc.  As for crew shortages on the MCDVs, I can't speak for the East Coast, but I know that things are still tight on the West and many crews are junior and/or short handed.

airmich said:
Typically only 5 out of 6 MCDVs are completely crewed on each coast.  The 6th is known as the Extended Readiness one.  They rotate through with having one ship as the "down boat" for anywhere from 4-12 months for repairs/overhauls etc.  As for crew shortages on the MCDVs, I can't speak for the East Coast, but I know that things are still tight on the West and many crews are junior and/or short handed.

Last West Coast numbers I had, and these are a week old, was that the 5 operational ships were short 30 personnel, or about 1/5 of each ship's company.

The good news? Besides saving 15% on my car insurance, is that the YELLOWKNIFE is coming back online next week!

A couple of nice pic's.

20097125hn2.jpg

31wk2.jpg

Cronicbny said:
Last West Coast numbers I had, and these are a week old, was that the 5 operational ships were short 30 personnel, or about 1/5 of each ship's company.

According to the MARPAC Admiral today, we are short one full ships crew.
That concerns me!

tomahawk6 do you have anymore photos? I want to see myself.  ;D

George Wallace said:
::)

Someone is not too good a their math:    1/5 + 1/5 + 1/5 + 1/5 + 1/5 = 1

LOL...I am just fine with math, thank you!
If we use the 1/5th example (which is based on a crew size of 150):
Our frigates can carry 225 pers, short 45 pers
Our Destroyers can carry 295 pers, short 59 pers
Our AOR's can carry 365 pers, short 73 pers

Not sure where the 30 pers short per boat came from. I heard a number considerably higher then that, and considering the manning capacities of the ships, I would say it was more then that too!

Cronicbny said:

Springroll, the quote above is the one that you quoted.  If you go back to the original post that Cronicbny made, you will see that he quoted me in it when he answered with the above post.  If you read it, you will see that it is in regards to MCDVs, so therefore it is based on a core crew size of 30ish.  Which would then mean that they are short 1 full core crew.

Ahhh, an argument and Springroll is involved.......

The world hasnt changed after all

airmich said:
If you read it, you will see that it is in regards to MCDVs, so therefore it is based on a core crew size of 30ish.

I see that now. Thanks for pointing that out, Airmich!
My post was in regards to the rest of the fleet, so my bad.
I should have read the quote he was quoting before posting.
Thanks again for pointing that out.

tomahawk6 said:
A couple of nice pic's.

31wk2.jpg

Hey! You can see me! I'm sitting right seat of the helo hovering by Iroquois.

Inch said:
Hey! You can see me! I'm sitting right seat of the helo hovering by Iroquois.

They missed me... I was parked on NC Jetty.  :mad:

Knecht Ruprecht said:
They missed me... I was parked on NC Jetty.  :mad:

No they didn't, they thought taking a picture of you would be too disturbing for younger children. :D

Ex-Dragoon said:
No they didn't, they thought taking a picture of you would be too disturbing for younger children. :D

Ouch.. that is all I can say... Ouch...

Bravo Zulu to you too....

Back