• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Fall of Stephane Dion

footslogger said:
The thing that I can't understand is that in the polls both Conservatives and Liebrils are very close to being tied.  What could it possibly take for these people to see that party for what it is?

Many powerful groups benefit from the growth and implementation of "Progressive" ideology (i.e. government and quasi government unions, bureaucracies, government companies like the CBC and businesspeople who have discovered how to milk the system). These interest groups will go to very great lengths to maintain their hold on power. They have also discovered how to manipulate the population, using the promise of social programs to bribe the voters, inversion of language to disguise concepts (think about what "progressive taxation" really means, for example), and the use of ad hominem arguments and contrived scandals to supress or eliminate debate on various topics. Controlling institutions like schools, the media and the courts also ensures things go the way "they" want.

In one sense, the fight against the HRC's may represent the first crack in the Progressive's armour. HRC's operate as "Star Chambers" to enforce the memes of Political correctness, and as currently constituted operate beyond the law. Once this battle is joined fully, it may occur to many people that there are lots of other bureaucracies and government agencies which also infringe upon our rights and freedoms, and action must be taken against them as well.

I know this is a sea change which will be fought against with all the weapons in the Progressive armoury, and all the more difficult since most of these people and institutions have access to the resources of the State itself. The rise of the CPC and corresponding small Classical Liberal perties at the provincial level (Wildrose Alliance, Saskatchewan Party, Reform Ontario) suggests to me that there is now a real chance this battle can be won in the end.

To go along with what Thucydides is saying about progressive definitions.  The concept of "hate speech" is an anti-concept that clumps real hate (antisemitism, Nazism, racism) with the imagined hate of blunt honesty, exposure of hypocrisies and politically correct appeasement policies.

It's all about control.  If you can control what people say, if you can control the definitions you will gain some control over what people think and do and how they act and that is the real goal of progressivism.

But, I suppose, he certainly is "The Leader of the Official Opposition" and "The Leader of the Liberal Party of Canada". Technically they're correct.

But, I sure don't see that video saying that he's a very good leader (or even just a good, or even a so-so leader) ... and they certainly don't call him a strong or capable leader.

In fact, the only one who even uses the word "Leader" is the PM who is congratulating Dion on his winning the Leadership of the Liberal Party of Canada, ... and any PM always congratulates a newly elected Leader of a Party. It's politics.

Here we go ...

Martin said he called Harper on the phone to congratulate him on his victory... "The people of Canada have chosen him to lead a minority government. I wish him the best," said Martin. "We differ on many things, but we all share a belief in the potential and the promise of Canada, the desire of our country, to succeed."

Notice that PM Martin was congratulating Harper on his winning the Leadership of the Country, ... not merely a party. Telling that.  ;)

I wouldn't get too fussed about Mr. Harper, Duceppe or Layton's comments...they're all lukewarm. 

In contrast, Elizabeth May's accolade is pure gold! "If they say he was anything other than a very strong environment minister, they're making it up." 

...there's a small tear in my eye...that was beautiful!

For all the money the CPC is spending on ads why don't they promote their own accomplishments instead of going after the opposition leader?  As a citizen who keeps relatively good track of politics I am sort of confused per Harper's accomplishments-other than the Federal Accountability Act.  Can someone kindly provide  me with a short list of Harper's accomplishments?

stegner said:
For all the money the CPC is spending on ads why don't they promote their own accomplishments instead of going after the opposition leader?  As a citizen who keeps relatively good track of politics I am sort of confused per Harper's accomplishments-other than the Federal Accountability Act.   Can someone kindly provide  me with a short list of Harper's accomplishments?

Ordinarly i would agree but the average voter in this country hardly remembers positive political achievements. Its much more productive in this country to remind voters of why the other party is bad.

Sad but true.

Plus so much easier to blame the other parties. All parties do this, and its just so childish.

sgf said:
Plus so much easier to blame the other parties. All parties do this, and its just so childish.

It is childish, but I heard a few weeks ago a municipal politician saying that he wasn't going for provincial or federal politics
because the job of the government is to prove that they're doing a good job, and the job of the opposition is to prove that they're not,
and he wasn't interested in that... I found that very ... illuminating.

So what is childisnesh on their part is them doing their job. Which is sad (that it's that their job).

stegner said:
For all the money the CPC is spending on ads why don't they promote their own accomplishments instead of going after the opposition leader?  As a citizen who keeps relatively good track of politics I am sort of confused per Harper's accomplishments-other than the Federal Accountability Act.  Can someone kindly provide  me with a short list of Harper's accomplishments?

I've noticed this too and the real thing is that the accomplishments of the government are being reported in the news.  A couple of days ago there was an article noting that the Department of Indian affairs had cleared 54 land claims in the last year (a substantial increase over the norm and 4 more than the goal set by the minister) but unlike previous governments the CPC didn't hold a news conference to pat itself on the back and therefore the message was missed by the blinkered and spoon-fed majority.

I personally don't like it when the government calls a news conference every time it successfully passes gas and prefer the CPC's approach, but it seems to me that the majority of the public don't pay enough attention to the news unless the rhetoric volume is set high enough to make ears bleed or the annoyance factor is right up there with nails on a chalkboard.

I may be in the minority (it's happened before ;) ) but I prefer my government to work rather than to break its arm in self-congratulation every week in the Ottawa press gallery. 

Unfortunately it seems that unless the CPC begin to shout "look at us" every time they meet a goal or reach a benchmark the Canadian people are never going to raise their heads out of the sand and look past constructed crisis's, and the obligatory "something"gate of the daily newsentainment as fabricated by our faithful Canadian pressitutes.  ::)

Ive always followed Dion with a bit of special interest, and, ironically, this is because of the CF, indirectly.

When I was an OCdt at RMC st-jean,  Dion's wife,  Janine Krieber, was my political science professor.  Through him and their contacts, we had quite the little tour of NMCC in Ottawa and a meet and greet with both Dion and McCallum who was Min Def at he time.

Sufficed to say... Janine's stories at Mess dinners made it all go by quite fast ;)

[edit to correct spelling]

stegner said:
For all the money the CPC is spending on ads why don't they promote their own accomplishments instead of going after the opposition leader?  As a citizen who keeps relatively good track of politics I am sort of confused per Harper's accomplishments-other than the Federal Accountability Act.   Can someone kindly provide  me with a short list of Harper's accomplishments?

Well geez,

While you were doing all that tracking of the CPCs adds ... did you miss the stuff like this?? Attacks on the others ... nothing new for either side there.  ::)

Stephane Dion makes fun of Harper's weight;

Or, heck ... did you prefer the Liberal adds slamming those Soldiers in their streets with weapons?? In Canada!!??

Or, heck ... did you prefer the Liberal adds slamming those Soldiers in their streets with weapons?? In Canada!!??

Those ads were not cool-but neither were the comments that Gordon O'Connor made about JTF2 in the last election campaign. 

Stephane Dion makes fun of Harper's weight;

I don't think it is unreasonable to expect our leaders to be in good shape. 

stegner said:
Those ads were not cool-but neither were the comments that Gordon O'Connor made about JTF2 in the last election campaign.   

I don't think it is unreasonable to expect our leaders to be in good shape.   

Got something new for us??

It's not like too many of us around here like the comments either. You miss that too?? There's certainly no shyness in calling a spade a spade around here -- no matter the political stripe of that spade.

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/37742.0.html

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/37768.0.html

As for your second bit --- get real.  ::)

It's not like too many of us around here like the comments either. You miss that too?? There's certainly no shyness in calling a spade a spade around here -- no matter the political stripe of that spade.

Of course I don't miss those comments.  I am all about calling a spade a spade around here also.   

apparently.... even his wife may have something to do with his downfall...

http://en.chatelaine.com/english/life/article.jsp?content=20070416_160841_4712&page=2

Back