• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Elizabeth Cross

tomahawk6

Army.ca Legend
Inactive
Reaction score
I thought this deserved a wider audience.

GenerateThumbnail.aspx

Elizabeth Cross honours families of fallen troops

Her Majesty The Queen has given her name to a new form of recognition for the families of British Service personnel killed while serving their country, Defence Secretary Bob Ainsworth has announced today, Wednesday 1 July 2009.

The Elizabeth Cross will be granted to the next of kin of Armed Forces personnel killed on operations or as a result of terrorism in a mark of national recognition for their loss.

This is the first time the name of a reigning monarch has been given to a new award since the George Cross was instituted in 1940 by King George VI for acts of bravery by both civilians and the military. Prior to this, the Victoria Cross was introduced by Queen Victoria in 1856 for acts of gallantry by the Armed Forces.

Next of kin will receive the Elizabeth Cross - a sterling silver emblem in the shape of a cross over a wreath - plus a Memorial Scroll signed by The Queen which will bear the name of the person who died.

The Elizabeth Cross and Memorial Scroll will not just be granted to families who have lost loved ones in the recent operations in Iraq and Afghanistan; The Queen's recognition will also be available to the families of those who died in conflicts dating back to 1948, including the Korean War, the Falklands conflict and operations in Northern Ireland.

In a message to Her Armed Forces, Her Majesty The Queen said:

"This seems to me a right and proper way of showing our enduring debt to those who are killed while actively protecting what is most dear to us all. The solemn dignity which we attach to the names of those who have fallen is deeply engrained in our national character. As a people, we accord this ultimate sacrifice the highest honour and respect." (See below for Her Majesty's full statement)

Chief of the Defence Staff, Air Chief Marshal Sir Jock Stirrup, said:

"I hope that the families of those who have given their lives will wear the Elizabeth Cross with pride and pass it on to future generations so that they too might know the price that has been paid for their freedom and way of life."

Defence Secretary Bob Ainsworth said:

"We owe so much to those who have died to protect our country and our way of life. The Elizabeth Cross was recommended by the military chiefs to Her Majesty to recognise the huge debt this country owes to the families those brave individuals have left behind."

The arms of the Elizabeth Cross bear floral symbols representing England (Rose), Scotland (Thistle), Ireland (Shamrock) and Wales (Daffodil). The reverse of the cross will be engraved with the name of the person in whose memory it is granted.

The scroll is on parchment-style paper, headed with the Royal Coat of Arms and the following words: 'This Scroll Commemorates... who gave his/her life for Queen and Country on...'. The scroll will bear the signature of Her Majesty The Queen in the upper left-hand corner.

The Elizabeth Cross and Memorial Scroll have been inspired by precedents from the First and Second World Wars. A scroll and memorial plaque were presented to the families of those killed in World War One. A scroll was given to the families of those who died in World War Two and in the Korean War in the early 1950s.

In June 2008 the MOD announced plans to introduce a new national form of recognition for those Armed Forces personnel who die on operations or as a result of terrorist activity whilst on duty. These plans were based on the recommendations of the military Chiefs of Staff and the final details have been confirmed today.

Families of those Service personnel who have died since 1948 are invited to read the information on the MOD Medal Office website (see Related Links >>> which includes information on the eligibility criteria and how to apply. Information and an application form can also be obtained by calling 0800 085 3600.

Full message from Her Majesty The Queen to Her Armed Forces:

"As I talk to you today I am conscious that my words are being heard simultaneously across many time-zones, climates and terrains. Wherever you are deployed in the world, you should be assured that I and the whole nation are deeply thankful for the part you play in helping to maintain peace around the globe. In these present times, no less than in previous years, the men and women of our Armed Forces undertake their duties in the knowledge that danger often lies ahead. They know that many have died in the service of our country and that difficulties are ever present.

"With this in mind, the Armed Forces have recommended that for those servicemen and women who have given their lives during operations, a special emblem and scroll will be granted to their next of kin. I am pleased to be associated with such an initiative, which is in keeping with a tradition established during the First World War. And so I have asked that this emblem should be known as the Elizabeth Cross.

"This seems to me a right and proper way of showing our enduring debt to those who are killed while actively protecting what is most dear to us all. The solemn dignity which we attach to the names of those who have fallen is deeply engrained in our national character. As a people, we accord this ultimate sacrifice the highest honour and respect.

"Around the world Prince Philip and I have always been impressed by the way the Commonwealth War Graves Commission tends to the graves and memorials of those servicemen and women who lost their lives during the First and Second World Wars. And now, the Armed Forces Memorial, established at the National Memorial Arboretum, bears the names of each of the British Service personnel who have died on operations since that time.

"To these collective memorials we now add a new and deeply personal commemoration. I greatly hope that the Elizabeth Cross will give further meaning to the nation's debt of gratitude to the families and loved ones of those who have died in the service of our country. We will remember them all."

Right on to the Brits, it's a nice gesture. And a very slick-looking piece of hardware.

It will most likely not happen here for a very long time, if at all. Not that I think we need something like that... we already have the Memorial Cross, which you can designate to up to 3 family members, IIRC.

With regards to eligibility, I found this to be interesting;

In addition to recognising future operational deaths in this way, deaths in the circumstances outlined above that occurred after 1 January 1948, or as a result of service in Palestine since 27 September 1945 will be recognised retrospectively. These dates reflect the fact that the Commonwealth War Graves Commission attributed deaths up to 1 January 1948 to World War II service (with the exception of Palestine).

Now, why was it so hard for us to back date the sacrifice medal again? 

Just thought I would through that out.....

dileas

tess

Canada will soon be issuing the Trudeau Cross, with razzberry clusters.

Kat Stevens said:
Canada will soon be issuing the Trudeau Cross, with razzberry clusters.

Issued to those that were liberal members of parliament, during Brian Mulroney's period as PM, who were screwed on their meal expenses that were submitted and denied.

dileas

tess

the 48th regulator said:
Issued to those that were liberal members of parliament, during Brian Mulroney's period as PM, who were screwed on their meal expenses that were submitted and denied.

dileas

tess

and who, with complete disregard for their own personal benefit safety and in the face of intense fire from the opposition, did singlehandedly wallow up to the trough, holding it until relieved by friendly forces.

Dog said:
Right on to the Brits, it's a nice gesture. And a very slick-looking piece of hardware.

It will most likely not happen here for a very long time, if at all. Not that I think we need something like that... we already have the Memorial Cross, which you can designate to up to 3 family members, IIRC.
The British are just catching up to Canada that has been issuing the Memorial Cross or "Silver Cross" since 1919 to commemorate the dead the First World War.  The UK design has the rose, thistle and shamrock in place of the maple leafs at the end of the cross arms otherwise it is the same layout as the Canadian Remembrance, the criteria for which was recently expanded. 

http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dhr-ddhr/chc-tdh/chart-tableau-eng.asp?ref=MC

gwp said:
The British are just catching up to Canada that has been issuing the Memorial Cross or "Silver Cross" since 1919 to commemorate the dead the First World War.  The UK design has the rose, thistle and shamrock in place of the maple leafs at the end of the cross arms otherwise it is the same layout as the Canadian Remembrance, the criteria for which was recently expanded. 

http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dhr-ddhr/chc-tdh/chart-tableau-eng.asp?ref=MC

Not entirely true,

The British may be "catching" up to the concept of a medal, however they issued The Next of Kin Memorial Plaque, AKA the Death Penny.  This was started in 1916, well before our Silver Cross;

http://www.iwm.org.uk/server/show/ConWebDoc.992/viewPage/1

dileas

tess

the 48th regulator said:
Not entirely true, The British may be "catching" up to the concept of a medal, however they issued The Next of Kin Memorial Plaque, AKA the Death Penny.  This was started in 1916, well before our Silver Cross;
http://www.iwm.org.uk/server/show/ConWebDoc.992/viewPage/1
dileas tess

Truth is that Canadians who died in WW I were recognized with both the Memorial Plaque and the Silver Cross. 

http://members.shaw.ca/jollytar/memorials/memorials.htm

To be more exact - The next-of-kin memorial plaque was presented to Soldiers of the British Empire, including Canadians.  The competition for designing this medal, conceived in 1916, closed on December 31, 1917 and production began in December 1918. 

Example - Lt-Col John McCrae's
http://www.mccord-museum.qc.ca/en/collection/artifacts/M997.13.6a

Truth is that Canadians who died in WW I were recognized with both the Memorial Plaque and the Silver Cross.

Not always - according to this post from a forum (on another site) discussing the Memorial Plaque.

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t129.html
As I may have mentioned in an earlier message, I have only three Memorial Plaques to Canadians in my collection, but one of them is to the family of a soldier who received no medals.
A conscript, drafted in early 1918, he was still in Canada when he became ill with influenza, and died in October. Because he had never left the country he was not eligible to receive any medals. Because his mother was already dead, and he was unmarried, no Canadian Memorial Cross was issued, so the plaque was the only recognition his family received.
I was especially happy that all the accompanying paperwork (scroll, mailing tube, King's letter, cardboard envelope, archives file, etc.) was still with the plaque when I obtained it.

Great idea. I'm that glad my family won't be getting one, and sad for the ones I know who will.

Back