• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Downward Diffusion of Combined Arms

I am going to stick to the discussion of Force Generation.  I agree with McG.  There is room to prepare for a broader spectrum of operations and also prepare more tightly focused,  cohesive,  Battlegroups/Task Forces/Field Forces/What-have-you.

The magic ingredient is time.

Time is bought by decreasing the size of the Force assigned to the deployed Task Forces, and thus increasing the number of Task Forces that can be generated, thus increasing the intervals between deployments, thus allowing more time for an ad hoc Task Force to complete common training and learning how to work with each other.

Similarly, the more time between deployments the more time can be spent by units in individual training, sub-unit training and formation training.

To get to this desired end state then the requirement is to get the politicians to accept a smaller deployed force. 

As to the argument that a smaller deployed force will be vulnerable or less able to fulfill certain tasks - the answer is of course.  But the counter is that every deployment we are capable of making is at danger of over-match.  We will always have to work with allies, otherwise we won't be going (this is not to say we shouldn't be doing more and shouldn't be able to lead more forcefully by getting ourselves into the fray more speedily).  But we willl always have to pick our fights.  Even the Americans have to do that - they can't deal with Iraq and N.Korea any more than they could deal with Russia and China simultaneously.

So if we accept a 1on 4 off deployment pattern and a requirement to deploy 2 forces concurrently then we come back to the need to be able to generate AT LEAST 10 Task Forces.  We have 12 Armd and Inf Units available so lets use them as the basis of the deployments.  With 12 units that means a 1 on 5 off schedule allowing 3 years between deployments.

The Units then could be structured with sufficient numbers of sub-units to both maintain a conventional fighting capability as a formed unit and also to be able to detach subunits in support of the task forces.

To take KevinB's proposed structure of one light, one mech, and one recce subunit, lets say under a  Mech HQ, then the Parent CBMG would comprise 1 Lt Unit 2 Mech Units and 1Cav Unit. One of the Mech Units would deploy with its HQ, Recce Pl, and 1 Mech Coy. The Remaining Sub-units would stay on base conducting individual training. 

Kevin's model requires a force structure of 12 Recce Sqns,  12 Lt Coys and 12 Mech Coys as well as 12 Recce Pl etc.  That demands that each of the 3 Armd Regts find  4 Recce Sqns each, that the 3 Lt Bns find 4 Coys each and that the 6 Mech Bns find 2 Coys each. As we have about 27 Lt or Mech Coys than that would work out about right. The 3 Extra Coys could be the source of the 3 extra Recce platoons and  reinforcements for the other coys. 

As we only have 9 Armd Squadrons and only 6 of them are officially Recce Sqns, then failing an increase in bodies or kit then the size of the Squadrons will have to fall to  support a long term deployment plan.  The Squadron will be able to do less, but it will be able to do it consistently and repetitively.  SOPs can be generated, force commanders will know its capabilities and our allies will know how we can work with them. I leave the make-up, kit, taskings etc to others.

With this structure:

3 brigades each with a 4 Squadron Armd Regt, a 4 Coy Light Battalion and 2x 2 Coy Mech Battalions then you might see the following situation;

1 CMBG has 2 Task Forces on Deployment for 6 months.  1PPCLI HQ and a Mech Coy Plus a Lt Coy and an Armd Sqn attached and 3PPCLI has one Coy deployed with a Mech and Armd sub-unit attached.

That leaves 2 PPCLI back on Station with a full complement of 2 Coys. It leaves 1 Coy of 1 PPCLI on Station.  It leaves 2 Lt Coys on Station and it also leaves LdSH on station with an HQ and 2 Squadrons.

2 CMBG is working up its two task forces for the next roto

5 CMBG is working up the roto after that

That still leaves a useable force for the area commander (2 HQs, 3 Mech Coys, 2 Lt Coys and 2 Armd Sqns) that could be engaged in individual training, conducting training with cross-attachments or supplying ready reaction forces.

We always used to expect that sub-units would be un-plugged from the parent and plugged into a sister unit in the formation, often on very short notice.  So I am having difficulty seeing where the plug'n'play concept is alien to what has been done in the past. 

The area that I see that is different is that in the past an Armd commander new what he was getting when he was assigned a Mech Coy and likewise a Mech commander new what a tank squadron was and what it could do.  This was because of standardization, training and SOPs.

Summarizing, why can't the system work if we accept that the reality of taskings for the foreseeable future are stability ops, that in order to maintain a viable force we need to reduce the size (not number) of commitments and then build a force structure that can sustain those commitments. With enough time between deployments then training can be geared towards maintaining our broad-spectrum of capabilities and with standardized units then SOPs can be developed.

I understand this may seem to some like putting the cart before the horse, essentially I am suggesting that we take the existing bodies and kit, divide by 12 and then ask ourselves what that result can do and then train to do that.  As opposed to looking for an ideal sized lego brick devised by our allies and then trying to figure how many units we can build and wondering why we don't have enough bricks or units.

The more time between deployments then the more varied can be the training and the more capable will be the CF.  In the meantime, the fact that all units that are going to deploy on a given Task Force are located on a single base and regularly train with each other will, along with common SOPs contribute to the necessary cohesion.

IMHO,

Cheers.

We always used to expect that sub-units would be un-plugged from the parent and plugged into a sister unit in the formation, often on very short notice.  So I am having difficulty seeing where the plug'n'play concept is alien to what has been done in the past.
In the past, a BG could expect to deploy with 2 or 3 plug & play sub-units and with 4 or 5 of its own sub-units.  Now, that BG might expect to deploy with 1 or 2 of its sub-units and with 4 to 6 plug & play sub-units.

Geographic dispersion will prevents the formation of solid affiliations between many sub-units and potential TF HQs (When would 2 PPCLI or 2 RCR train with thier light companies or armoured squadrons?  When would companies of 2 PPCLI or 2 RCR train with the armoured or light BGs that they might be plugged into?)

As fun as it is to play with all the "cut-and-paste" TO&E's (heaven knows I do it enough myself   ;)), I think that the original topic of the thread as I proposed it, the Downward Diffusion of Combined Arms, requires a corresponding downward diffusion in the way we organize our Personnel (as opposed to our kit).

Having all these units mish-mashed together in a standing "Combined Arms" battalion is only going half-way; it's just as ad-hoc as mish-mashing units with plug-and-play to send them on operations.   The transformation needs to be completed with a thourough Revolution in Human Affairs.   Why is this necessary?   Because hat-badge and regimental infighting seems to be a big administrative obstacle to filtering a cohesive, combined-arms function down to lower and lower levels.   As well, we're liable to see problems when combining units from different branches into a single combined arms battalion - with the logical outcome of grumbling on "who goes where" and "who commands what".   Get rid of it, I say.

First off, I have always been a proponent of a "single-badge" Brigade.   A soldier, no matter what his trade is, is a member of the Regiment (which is affiliated with the Brigade level formation).   This should allow soldiers of most trades to have suitable and varied career opportunities within his "Regiment".   Whether we want to build our Brigades off existing regular force Regiments (taking some and "zero-strengthing" others, which will piss some off), bring Regiments up from the reserves (to avoid hurting all Regular Force regimental pride), or create new Regiments from scratch (to avoid hurting everybody's pride - hey, if the British can routinely do it, why can't we?) is a matter of secondary concern.

For example, in a Mechanized Brigade setting:

-   Infantry soldiers and Armoured crewman can be posted throughout the 3 combined arms "maneuver battalions" within the Brigade.   As well, if we opted for a Cavalry/Reconnaissance function for the Brigade commander, opportunities would be there as well.

-   Sappers and Gunners can be posted to "Maneuver Battalions" as pioneers or to the Brigade Engineering/Artillery assets.

-   CS and CSS troops have the opportunity to go to Brigade Support and HQ units or to "Maneuver Battalions".

The Brigade setting provides a large enough basis for a "Regimental" system to exist in a manner that affords varied and interesting career paths.

As well, I am prone to LtCol Banks' approach to merging the Combat Arms into one branch as argued in the Canadian Army Journal:

http://armyapp.dnd.ca/ael/adtb/vol_7/CAJ_vol7.1_e.pdf

with the end result of merging of the Officer MOC's (to what extent is debatable)

http://army.ca/forums/threads/17788.0.html

The actual trade (MOC) of the Officer becomes less and less relevant as he progresses in rank.   We experience this everday as we see command of a Brigade is open to any trade and often unit commanders end up commanding sub-units from outside their trade in the Battlegroup setting.   With a "Combined Arms Battalion" and a merged Combat Arms branch, Officer career paths would play out differently.

- At the junior level (2Lt - Captain) the Officer is assigned his sub-MOC, which is trade specific.   He assumes command of a platoon/troop of the relevent sub-MOC (Infantry, Mortar, Engineer/Pioneer, etc, etc)

- At the senior level (Major - Col) the Officer is assigned a primary-MOC - a single "Combat Arms Officer".   Transformation into the new MOC will begin while the Officer is still and Captain and attends the Land Forces Command and Staff College.   Here, he is exposed to command and leadership of combat power from a Combined Arms perspective.   The sub-MOC is important, as when the Officer becomes a Major and is given command of a sub-unit, it will be a "trade-pure" one (Infantry Coy, Armoured Squadron, Arty Battery, Engineer Squadron).   However, with the new MOC, an Officer of any sub-MOC background is eligible for positions within the "Maneuver Battalion" HQs (Ops O, Adj, DCO, etc, etc).

- At the LCol level, the single primary-MOC of "Combat Arms Officer" will command the battalion.   Some deference should be made to sub-MOC for instances where Artillery Battalions and Engineer Battalions (remember, we've done away with pure branch regiments ;)) need CO's.   So, you will see Officer's with any combat-arms background commanding the "Maneuver Battalions" because all four Combat Arms functions exist within these units and the development of Officers should, right from the start, be oriented to increasing their understanding of the different capabilities available in a Combined Arms setting.

- As now, the Brigade (perhaps formed as I've outlined in the original topic post) are open to the CA Officer primary-MOC.

- General Officer ranks are a little beyond the tactical scope of this discussion, so we won't bother.

This, I believe, is a more thourough transformation then simply cutting and pasting what we have.   My effort in this proposal aims to solve the following problems:

1) The bleeding of combined arms functions from the maneuver battalions to the Engineers and Artillery, reducing their battlefield capabilities (essentially stove-piping).

2) The ending of the constant question of who is going to drive the damn IFVs.... :) (it shouldn't matter anymore, as a crewman can be posted to an infantry company within a Combined Arms battalion to drive the LAV).

3) Cross-trade confusion within the Combat Arms (doctrine and TTP's should stem from a common "Combined-Arms" well in Gagetown)

4) To reduce the friction that the ATOF cycle has placed on units and the unit commanders.   As much as we deride ATOF, it is a necessary planning function, as the extremely turbulent nature of the international arena means we must always be prepared to deploy - since we can't afford (in terms of money or in soldiers morale) to be held to high readiness at all times, a readiness cycle is required.   Being the primary "Unit of Action", the "Combined Arms" battalion (of which a Brigade should have 3) should be more then capable of providing its own organic sub-units from across the spectrum for any task required of it.   No more Plug-and-Play, which creates one (ad-hoc) viable combined-arms Battlegroup for operations while crippling 2 or 3 branch pure units in Canada.   Now, the next goal should be to get the Brigade and formation level training up to snuff in the potential situation of a Canadian Brigade taking part in Coalition Division operations.

5) Regimental infighting spurred by Regimental Associations and Senates which, in a petty interest in branch-pure Capbrass, confound issues in which operational necessity should be paramount (who cares what the PPCLI, the Vandoo, or the RCD get in terms or roles - for they are all Regiments composed of almost every type of trade in the Army).   Every soldier in the Army is a soldier first, tradesman second.   They belong to their Regiments as soldiers, not as an infantryman, sapper, clerk, or a signaller.   The trade can proudly be displayed on the cuff of the DEU.

Anyways, rough layout for true Combined Arms transformation.   I'm sure many issues will arise as we ponder the details.

Cheers,
Infanteer

For a bit of additional interesting input, here are four "Combat Group" TO&E's that Col. Douglas MacGregor proposed in his Breaking the Phalanx (found here ) - essentially Brigade Groups.   However, the "combined-arms" battalions are the maneuver centerpieces of each formation.   He makes some alterations to his original proposals in his follow-up book, Transformation Under Fire (found here), but the principle remains the same.   Both books are definitely worth the read.

Here they are as follows; I hope they can serve as a decent launch pad for some extra discussion:

1. A decisive, heavy combat Brigade Group.

2. A tracked heavy cavalry Brigade Group.

3. A wheeled, light cavalry Brigade Group (perhaps fitting in with 2Bravo's proposal here)

4. A air-mobile/air-assault Light Brigade Group (fitting in as part of the Light Infantry stuff that's been frequently discussed).

Cheers,
Infanteer

PS - Remember that this is American Lexicon:
Squadron = our Regiment (Battalion Level, hence ll)
Troop = our Squadron (Company Level, hence l)
Co = Coy (Company)

C4I Battalions? Nice work, if you can get it!

McGregor has outlined a very potent and flexible combined arms package, but I wonder a bit at the size of the command and control apparatus. (I suppose I souldn't be too surprised, our HQ and Sigs organizations are growing, but the troops to command and control are leaking away...).

Some more work will be needed to get a smaller, lighter and faster mooving HQ apparatus for these formations.

Actually, the C4I Battalion (Command, Control, Communications, Computers, and Intelligence) is essentially the Brigade Group Command and Control Structure.  Looking at its breakdown, it is something similar to the HQ of 3 Commando Brigade C2 structure.

I didn't want to get too much into this, leaving this thread for the focus on Battalion level organization, but here is MacGregor's layout for the C4I Battalion and his interesting new take on Staff Arrangements for the Brigade Group level:

Cheers,
Infanteer

My own idea (an extention on previous existing ideas coming from my grape) is too combine infantry and armour into one trade/branch. Engineers and artillery I think should stay as their own..

The new Maneuover Battalions/Regts will consist of
-HQ Company/Squadron
-4 x Maneuover Companies/SQN
-Service Support Company/SQN

The HQ Coy would consist of Battalion HQ, ISTAR co-ord cell, sigs platoon, int sect, MP sect, UAV detachment (From arty?) and Reconnaissance Platoon (SF trained maybe?).

The 4 x maneuover sub units would consist of
-HQ Platoon (OC, 2IC, CSM LAVIII include 1-2 sniper detachments and a coy weapons detachment)
-120mm mortar platoon (LAVIII for Fire Control, a CP and 2 x 120mm mortars mounted on LAV Chasis either the AC delco turret or similar to US Stryker MC)
-Direct Fire Support Platoon (4 x MGS)
-2 x Assault Platoons (Rifle platoons) each one mounted in 4 x LAV III and consisting of 2 x 8 man rifle sections, a weapons section with 2 x GPMG and the ALAWS and a 4 man HQ (LT, WO, 2 x Signalers)

My math puts these Maneouver call signs at 130-140 personnel

The service support company would consist of 3 x A Echelon support platoons, RQMS, Maintenance platoon, UMS, BOR and its own COY HQ.

Opinions?

I completely agree with permanently organized combined arms battle groups.  I have read and discussed this on previous topics.  My question is how do you go about this while at the same time preserve the regimental system?  The regimental system is a part of our national and military history and I would hate to see it done away with.  While I agree that it doesn't necessarily affect operations, it has been the foundation of the army forever. 

I'm curious if anyone has an idea on how to achieve permanent combine arms battle groups without losing the regimental system.  The only thing I could think of was mini-brigade group styled battle groups.  Example, 1 CMBG has 1,2 & 3 Combined Arms Battle Groups (CABG), 2 CMBG has 4,5 & 6 CABGs and 5 CMBG has 7,8 & 9 CABGs.  In this manner 1 CABG would have a HQ, '1' CSS Company, 'A', 'B' & 'C' Companies PPCLI, 'A' Squadron LdSH, 'A' Battery RCHA & '11' Field Engineer Squadron.  Then 2 CABG would have a HQ, '2' CSS Company, 'D', 'E' & 'F' Companies, PPCLI, 'B' Squadron LdSH, 'B' Battery RCHA & '12' Field Engineer Squadron, and so forth.  The actual battalions within the infantry regiments would no longer exist.  The regiment would consist of independent companies attached to one of the three Combined Arms Battle Groups.  The HQ's of the armoured, artillery and engineer regiments would also disappear.  The HQ of the CABG would exist like a brigade HQ, with personnel drawn from the armoured or infantry regiments.  The brigade headquarters would remain the same, except for the artillery's FSCC and ASCC would be permanently assigned to the brigade HQ as in a US Army brigade, as would the engineer's ESCC.

Combined Arms Battle Group:
- CABG Headquarters
  - Command Section
  - TAC CP (2 x LAV-III TCV)
  - Ops/Intel Sections (2 x LAV-III CPV)
  - Signal Platoon (2 x LAV-III TCV)
- Infantry Recce Platoon (8 x LUVW LIV)
- Combat Service Support Company
  - Coy HQ
  - Administration Section (Personnel & Finance)
  - Logistics Platoon (stores, general transport, fuel transport & food service sections)
  - Maintenance Platoon
  - Medical Platoon (HQ, UMS & 5 evacuation teams with LAV-III Ambulances)
  - Regimental Police Section (8 RPs in 4 x LUVW MPs)
- 3 Medium Rifle Companies
  - Coy HQ (2 x LAV-III TCV)
  - Sniper Team (3 snipers)
  - Light Mortar Section (1 x LAV-III MICV & 3 x 60mm mortars)
  - 3 x Infantry Platoons (4 x LAV-III MICVs) (sections organized with 9 dismounts, Sgt and two 4-man fire teams each led by a MCpl)
- Direct Fire Support Squadron
  - Sqd HQ (3 x LAV-III DFSV TCV-version)
  - 3 x DFS Troop (2 x LAV-III DFSV with TOW & 4 LAV-III MGS)
- Indirect Fire Support Battery
  - Bty HQ (including the Battle Group FSCC in a LAV-III TCV)
  - 3 x Fire Effects Detachment (1 x LAV-III Fire Effects Vehicle)
  - Mortar Troop (4 x LAV-III 120mm Armoured Mortar System & 1 x LAV-III TCV)
  - Artillery Troop (4 x LAV-III 105mm Self-Propelled Howitzer & 1 x LAV-III TCV)
  - Air Defence Section (6 x LUVW-based Starstreak or Stinger air defence vehicles)
- Field Engineer Squadron
  - Sqd HQ (2 x LAV-III TCV)
  - 2 x Assault Engineer Troop
      - Troop HQ (3 x Fennek Armoured Cars & 1 x MLVW)
      - 3 x Engineer Section (LAV-III Pioneer)       
  - Close Support Troop (4 x MPEV, 2 x Medium Loaders, 2 x Medium Dozers, 1 x Road Grader, 2 x Dump Trucks & 1 x ROWPU)

Under brigade control there would then be:
- Command Support Regiment (Brigade HQ, signal squadron, military intelligence company, military police platoon & CSS company)
- Brigade Reconnaissance Squadron (27 Fennek Armoured Cars in a SHQ of 3 and three troops of 8)
- Brigade Service Battalion
  - Logistics Company (supply & transport)
  - Maintenance Workshop Company (Role 2 and limited Role 3 maintenance support)
  - Service Support Company (laundry & bath, NBC decontamination, finance and postal platoons & battalion food service section)
- Field Ambulance (HQ, service platoon, 2 medical support platoons with Advanced Surgical Centres & 2 evacuation platoons)
- Tactical Helicopter Squadron of 26 Griffons (12 lightly armed reconnaissance, 12 utility/medical evacuation & 2 command & control- all upgraded to USMC UH-1Y Twin Huey standards.

***Vehicle notes:
LAV-III Medium Infantry Combat Vehicle is a Canadianized Stryker with a Protected Weapons Station.
LAV-III Tactical Command Vehicle is the command version of MICV
LAV-III Command Post Vehicle has a raised roof and bigger troop compartment.  Same as the M577 is to the M113 (www.mowage.ch)
LAV-III DFSV is the present LAV-III with a 25mm turret with a TOW missile launcher on either side of the turret (www.army-technology.com  see Piranha)
LUVW Light Infantry Vehicle is a soft-top recce variant of the G-Wagon LUVW (see Mud Recce Vehicle topic on this site)

I've argued before that the permanent dismemberment of the CERs is not a sustainable force structure: http://army.ca/forums/threads/22585/post-121434.html#msg121434
(I'll also point out that your "close support troop" is not.  It is just a "support troop.")

Mountie said:
I completely agree with permanently organized combined arms battle groups. I have read and discussed this on previous topics. My question is how do you go about this while at the same time preserve the regimental system? 
I think this was answered in several threads that propose altering the regimental system to include both manouevre arms in any regimental family.  http://army.ca/forums/threads/24461.0.html

MCG,

I actually remembered your point as soon as I had posted, but it was too late to change it.  You have corrected me so many times on the CER issue it actually stuck with me.  I would use three field engineer squadrons each with two field/assault engineer troops and a light support troop and one engineer support squadron.

My thoughts so far: we already know how to detach combat and administrative capability and function downward.  Nothing I have read yet convinces me the benefits of lending more formality and rigidity to what we can already do informally and flexibly outweighs the disadvantages of also having to push administrative capability downward and potentially introduce redundant layers of HQ for the sake of forming nice gaggles.

Common manoeuvre arms MOC(s) can be developed independently of any formal shifts in combined arms organization.

Is not the ATOC aimed at captains?  Does that not pre-empt the concern that manoeuvre arms sub-unit OCs won't know enough about combined arms?

Combined Arms Battalions could be easily formed by going back to the old infantry battalion structure and simply adding a few LAV-III MGSs to the battalion.

Combined Arms Battalion
Battalion Headquarters/Command Platoon
Headquarters Company
- Orderly Room
- Signal Platoon
- Supply Platoon
- Transport Platoon
- Maintenance Platoon
- UMS
Combat Support Company
- Recce Platoon (8 x LUVW C&R or German Light Infantry Vehicle version of the G-Wagon)
- Mortar Platoon (6 x 81mm mortars in LAV-III Mortar Fire Support Vehicles)
- Anti-Armour Platoon (6 x LAV-III TUA)
- Direct Fire Support Platoon (6 x LAV-III MGS)
- Pioneer Platoon (4 x LAV-III Pioneer)
3 x Rifle Company
- 3 x Infantry Platoon (4 x LAV-III Stryker with PWS in place of 25mm turret)
- Sniper Team

The Combined Arms Battalion has its own indirect fire support (81mm mortars), mobility/counter mobility support (pioneers), anti-armour and direct fire support assets (TUA & MGS) and close reconnaissance support (recce platoon) without seriously reorganizing the battalion and without introducing new doctrine, organizations or equipment (other than the MGSs).  The only conflict would be removing the MGSs from the Armoured Corps and giving them to the infantry.  A battery of 4 Denel 105mm LAV-III SPHs and a reconnaissance and surveillance squadron with Fennek armoured cars could be added, along with elements of the service battalion and field ambulance to form a very capable battalion group capable of peacemaking and peacekeeping operations in light and medium operations.

The US Army's Future Combat System Unit of Action/Brigade Combat Team is slated to consist of three combined arms battalions, a reconnaissance and surveillance regiment (US squadron), an artillery regiment (US battalion), a signal and intelligence company, a headquarters company an a service battalion (US support battalion).  A CMBG could be similarily equipped with the LAV-III as the common vehicle in place of the US FCS.  Each brigade could have 3 combined arms battalions dually trained in mechanized and light infantry.  The USMC infantry battalions are basically light infantry units that can also operate as mechanized infantry when carried in Amtracs.  Canadian infantry could be dually trained as light infantry and LAV-III Stryker equipped medium infantry. 

Back