• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The disability award "top up".....not until 2017?

• Thread starter Words_Twice
  • Start date
You can't say they're not friendly with all the hugs (xxx) in their correspondence.  Probably a ploy to distract from the slow services.

Tidbit of information from my last conversation w/ VAC:

"Letters" regarding the top-up will start going out Apr 1.
You know that letter saying, essentially; "we're going to give you some money for messing up your body, here are your options."? 
That letter.

Again, it STARTS on Apr 1.  That implies it may (read: will) take a while to get everyone's letters out.
THEN the wait time to actually receive the money will begin once VAC receives your reply.

Someone said they'd be surprised if they got any top-up before Sept 2017?  You're probably bang-on-target.

CombatMacgyver said:
Tidbit of information from my last conversation w/ VAC:

"Letters" regarding the top-up will start going out Apr 1.
You know that letter saying, essentially; "we're going to give you some money for messing up your body, here are your options."? 
That letter.

Again, it STARTS on Apr 1.  That implies it may (read: will) take a while to get everyone's letters out.
THEN the wait time to actually receive the money will begin once VAC receives your reply.

Someone said they'd be surprised if they got any top-up before Sept 2017?  You're probably bang-on-target. I have a feeling most letters are done and the send button just has to be pushed come April 1st.

With MY VAC Account the process is faster than waiting for the letter in the mail and mailing back a response

I was doing a little 'light' reading of bill C-15 which is the bill to implement the measures of the last years budget, which our top-up falls under. There is a section I have found that will provide clarity on one aspect that no one seems to be sure. I have included the entire portion of the text and bolded the appropriate section, however, please see section 106 as it will state the top up is to be paid as a lump sum. I am not here to start a debate or get anyone upset about this, as on multiple means, Facebook, private conversations, etc, no one seems to have an answer. I am just providing something from the Government in black and white as to how it will be administered.  I firmly believe VAC has a policy in place but are under orders not to talk about it until April 1. I also am a believer in the fact that all the work is currently done and they will provide us with information either via Canada Post or MyVAC within a few days after the date.
Again, just stating my feelings on how I think VAC is going to deal with this and providing hard copy of the 'formula' and how they are paying. Please see attached link and search section 106 and it will take you directly there

http://www.parl.gc.ca/HousePublications/Publication.aspx?Language=E&Mode=1&DocId=8385247

Disability Award and Death Benefit

Definitions

99 The following definitions apply in this section and sections 100 to 111.
Act means the Canadian Forces Members and Veterans Re-establishment and Compensation Act. (Loi)
dependent child has the same meaning as in subsection 2(1) of the Act. (enfant à charge)
Minister means the Minister of Veterans Affairs. (ministre)
survivor has the same meaning as in subsection 2(1) of the Act. (survivant)

Member or veteran who received disability award

100 (1) The Minister must pay to a member or a veteran who received, in whole or in part, a disability award under section 45, 47 or 48 of the Act before April 1, 2017, and who is alive on April 1, 2017, an amount determined in accordance with the formula
A − B
where

A
    is the amount set out in column 3 of Schedule 3 to the Act, as that Schedule read on April 1, 2017, that corresponds to the member’s or veteran’s extent of disability, as set out in column 2, for which the disability award was received, reduced — for every calendar year from 2016 until the year in which the disability award was received — by a percentage calculated in accordance with the method of calculating the percentages by which the amounts set out in Schedule 3 to the Act are periodically adjusted; and

B
    is the amount of the disability award that was payable to the member or the veteran under subsection 52(1) of the Act.

Death of member or veteran before amount paid

(2) If the member or veteran dies before the amount is paid under subsection (1), the Minister must pay that amount, in accordance with section 55 of the Act, to a survivor or a person who was, at the time of the member’s or veteran’s death, a dependent child.

Death of member or veteran before April 1, 2017

101 If a member or a veteran who received, in whole or in part, a disability award under section 45, 47 or 48 of the Act before April 1, 2017 dies before that day, the Minister must pay, in accordance with section 55 of the Act, to a survivor or a person who was, at the time of the member’s or veteran’s death, a dependent child — if that survivor or person is alive on April 1, 2017 — an amount determined in accordance with the formula
A − B
where

A
    is the amount set out in column 3 of Schedule 3 to the Act, as that Schedule read on April 1, 2017, that corresponds to the member’s or veteran’s extent of disability, as set out in column 2, for which the disability award was received, reduced — for every calendar year from 2016 until the year in which the disability award was received — by a percentage calculated in accordance with the method of calculating the percentages by which the amounts set out in Schedule 3 to the Act are periodically adjusted; and

B
    is the amount of the disability award that was payable to the member or the veteran under subsection 52(1) of the Act.

Disability award received by survivor or dependent child

102 The Minister must pay, in accordance with section 55 of the Act, to a person who received a disability award under subsection 50(1) or (2) of the Act before April 1, 2017, and who is alive on April 1, 2017, an amount determined in accord-ance with the formula
A − B
where

A

B
    is the amount of the disability award that was payable under subsection 52(1) of the Act.

Death benefit

103 The Minister must pay, in accordance with section 59 of the Act, to a person who received a death benefit under section 57 of the Act before April 1, 2017, and who is alive on April 1, 2017, an amount determined in accordance with the formula
A − B
where

A
    is the amount set out in item 3, column 2, of Schedule 2 to the Act, as that Schedule read on April 1, 2017, reduced — for every calendar year from 2016 until the year in which the death benefit was received — by a percentage calculated in accordance with the method of calculating the percentages by which the amount set out in item 3, column 2, is periodically adjusted; and

B
    is the amount of the death benefit that was payable under subsection 58(1) of the Act.

Application

104 Sections 100 to 102 apply in respect of each disability award received by or in respect of a member or a veteran.

Amount of award or benefit equal to zero

105 For the purposes of sections 100 to 103, a person is considered to have received a disability award or a death benefit even if the amount that was paid to them was equal to zero.

Lump sum

106 An amount that is to be paid under any of sections 100 to 103 is to be paid as a lump sum.

Fair enough, so that would imply there will be no letters of "how would you like to receive your benefits".  It will simply be paid out as lump sum, asap.

Maybe the letters the VAC employee I spoke to was alluding to are more along the lines of "direct deposit or cheque?" kind of thing.

Either way, I don't expect this to happen quickly.  My experiences with VA seem to transpire over years, not weeks or months.  Maybe I'm just jaded and cynical at this point.

CombatMacgyver said:
Maybe the letters the VAC employee I spoke to was alluding to are more along the lines of "direct deposit or cheque?" kind of thing.

Probably a letter stating your listed payable disabilities with each year, along with the difference between what you should have gotten, with a final sum and a statement about when you can expect to receive a direct deposit.

As someone stated above, people might end up with the letters after they've already gotten the deposit, similar to MyVAC showing approval for a disability award and weeks later the official letter shows up. I even had my Stage 3 "This will take 16 weeks letter" show up 2 months after it was dated, and 2 weeks later my award was approved online.

Another bigger issue here, is that if VAC knows the details on how they're going to do everything, they should be stating those facts to veterans instead of hiding from them. It proves the culture of deceit and hidden facts from VAC.

PuckChaser said:
Another bigger issue here, is that if VAC knows the details on how they're going to do everything, they should be stating those facts to veterans instead of hiding from them. It proves the culture of deceit and hidden facts from VAC.

So I'm not the only one who feels like I'm talking to a "used car salesmen". They remind me of the guy who won't look you in the eye when talking to him...

The rumour mill says an announcement is coming tomorrow wrt lump sum payment from the Minister.

Most questions and answers including calculation now posted by VAC.

veterans.gc.ca/eng/help/faq/disability-award-increase

If I wanted to calculate what it would be for a 5% awarded in 2016 it's still confusing on how to actually do that. Wish they provided an example.

Teager said:
The rumour mill says an announcement is coming tomorrow wrt lump sum payment from the Minister.
And here it is ...
The Government of Canada is delivering on its commitment to ensure that Veterans and their families are treated with care, compassion and respect.  Increasing the financial security of disabled Veterans, is the first foundational step in supporting mental health and well-being.

The Honourable Kent Hehr, Minister of Veterans Affairs and Associate Minister of National Defence announced today that, all Veterans with a Disability Award from Veterans Affairs Canada will receive an additional, tax-free, lump sum payment.

As announced in Budget 2016, the maximum Disability Award is increasing from $314,723.89 to $360,000.  This measure comes into effect on April 1, 2017.

Intended to recognize the non-economic impacts of a service-related injury or illness such as pain and suffering, the Disability Award is provided on a scale according to the level of disability and is in addition to income support benefits.

For those who have already received a Disability Award, no application is necessary to receive the additional lump sum payment.  Veterans who received a Disability Award and are getting monthly program benefits from Veterans Affairs Canada, as well as those who received a Disability Award payment within the last two years will automatically get a letter explaining the amount of their additional lump sum payment by mid-April.

Any Veterans who received a Disability Award more than two years ago and who are not currently receiving monthly program benefits from Veterans Affairs Canada are encouraged to contact the Department immediately to confirm their address and banking information.

If Veterans would like to manage their information online and receive communication regarding their Disability Award increase along with other benefits and services, they can register for My VAC Account at www.veterans.gc.ca/myVACaccount. Through this on-line service, Veterans will be able to provide information, if required, to expedite the additional lump sum payment. VAC will reimburse eligible Veterans for financial advice on how to manage or invest the money.

Budget 2016 also provided funding for Veterans Affairs Canada (VAC) Earnings Loss Benefit (ELB) to increase from 75% to 90% of a Veteran’s indexed military salary. This benefit provides financial security by offering income support to Veterans while they are participating in VAC’s Rehabilitation Program or until they reach age 65, whichever comes first. In addition, the enhanced benefit is fully protected against inflation. This means that the existing cap of 2% was removed to keep pace with inflation.

Quotes

“It is important that we recognize our ill and injured Veterans. Through Budget 2016, we have worked hard to reopen offices, hire more frontline staff and increase financial benefits for Veterans. I am proud today to announce that every Veteran with a disability award will receive an additional lump sum payment. This means approximately $700 million dollars for 67,000 Veterans which will directly support their financial well-being.”

The Honourable Kent Hehr, Minister of Veterans Affairs and Associate Minister of National Defence 

Quick Facts

The maximum Disability Award will be increased from $314,723.89 to $360,000 on April 1, 2017. In addition, Death and Detention Benefit amounts will be increased accordingly. This is consistent with the recommendations made by the Veterans Ombudsman and the Standing Committee on Veterans Affairs.

The maximum Disability Award lump sum amount will be comparable to or greater than similar non-economic compensation amounts payable in Canada under private and public sectors insurance plans, by the Workers’ Compensation Board or as non-pecuniary damages awarded by Canadian courts. 

Any Veterans who received a Disability Award more than two years ago and who are not currently receiving monthly program benefits from Veterans Affairs Canada are encouraged to contact the Department at 1-866-522-2122 (toll-free), Monday to Friday, 8:30 to 4:30, local time to confirm their address and banking information.

If Veterans do not update their information now, a letter will be mailed the first week of April asking them to complete and return a Verification of Address and Banking Information form.

I'm still confused, in my case I was at 10% disability in 2015 where I received 30 669.82$ (B) and the 100% was 306 698.20$. So now that the new award has been adjusted, the 2015 100% value is 350 128.13 with 10% being 35 012.81$ (A).

So is my award top up going to be A-B = 4 342.99$

OR:

New award 100% for 2017 is 360 000$ therefore 10% is 36 000$ (C)

So my award would be C-B: 5 330.18$

Any help would be great.

The first one. The second example (which is what it should be IMO) doesn't adjust by subtracting the COLA increases.

See Q10.

http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/help/faq/disability-award-increase?utm_source=myvacaccount&utm_medium=broadcast&utm_campaign=da031617

Is this true? Will the top up be delayed or reduced?

http://www.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1083919&playlistId=1.3335420&binId=1.810401&playlistPageNum=1&binPageNum=1#_gus&_gucid=&_gup=twitter&_gsc=s4NiuXm

jtdollah said:
Is this true? Will the top up be delayed or reduced?

http://www.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1083919&playlistId=1.3335420&binId=1.810401&playlistPageNum=1&binPageNum=1#_gus&_gucid=&_gup=twitter&_gsc=s4NiuXm

It's reduced by the CPI so you get the amount that you should have in the year you recieved your award. If all your info is good to go with VAC expect payment sometime in April.

Teager said:
It's reduced by the CPI so you get the amount that you should have in the year you received your award. If all your info is good to go with VAC expect payment sometime in April.

ahhh, I understand now. There's just so much info out there, it makes it a little hard to find the most accurate source.  Fake news, lol.

slayer/raptor said:
I'm still confused, in my case I was at 10% disability in 2015 where I received 30 669.82$ (B) and the 100% was 306 698.20$. So now that the new award has been adjusted, the 2015 100% value is 350 128.13 with 10% being 35 012.81$ (A).

So is my award top up going to be A-B = 4 342.99$

OR:

New award 100% for 2017 is 360 000$ therefore 10% is 36 000$ (C)

So my award would be C-B: 5 330.18$

Any help would be great.

Got my letter from VAC in my online VAC account stating the amount I would be getting. Unfortunately, it is Option A (first one). So the indexed amount minus the amount you actually received.

I guess so many people tried logging in this morning that they crashed the site.

It's good that VAC actually met a timeline... they said we'd receive a letter the beginning of April. They said, payments would be sent out by mid-month. Let's see if they meet that timeline too.

Back