• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The current navy uniform

I for one am VERY pleased to see the Navy as finally a member of the "Canadian" Forces...wearing the flag of our nation on our shoulders, along with the rest of the services.

That said, I still think the ship's crest should be on a velcro patch so it can be as easily swapped as the sailors seem to be nowadays...

NS

Pat in Halifax said:
We just let those in Ottawa think they are a Navy town but . . . THERE ARE NO SHIPS IN OTTAWA!!! - Hence no Navy town

HMCS CARLETON??
http://www.navy.forces.gc.ca/navres/1/1-n_eng.asp?category=95

HMCS Carleton is a building. 

Not a ship, despite the name.

It's a Naval Reserve unit.

NS

Used to be called cement frigates or landlocked frigates

:cdn:
Hawk

Something that makes a NRD feels like it abaord ship... Or part of the Navy does not a ship make.

Stone frigates!! I knew there was another expression, and I was too tired to put it together!  Cement frigate and land locked frigate were expressions we used at Esquimalt in the 1960's.

:cdn:
Hawk

Hawk said:
Cement frigate and land locked frigate were expressions we used at Esquimalt in the 1960's.

Not used by any sailor...  ;D

It's always been "stone frigate", which is any shore-based Naval establishment.

http://www.navalandmilitarymuseum.org/resource_pages/sailor_life/warship_terms.htm

see para (4) below the photo.  Very true - not an actual sea-going platform at all - thus not a "ship" in the normal use of the word.  But everything happens as it would onboard a sea-going ship.

I suppose it seems odd at first - and even wierder for army/air force types that "come aboard" and ask why we salute as we enter the bulding.  Sailors get used to it pretty quickly.

MARS said:
http://www.navalandmilitarymuseum.org/resource_pages/sailor_life/warship_terms.htm

I suppose it seems odd at first - and even wierder for army/air force types that "come aboard" and ask why we salute as we enter the bulding.  Sailors get used to it pretty quickly.

Saluting when entering a building? Yes, I must say, I do agree. It does seem odd.

Although I suppose that the reserve divisions also inherit the battle honours of the warship which they are named after? I guess I can follow that logic.

gcclarke said:
*SNIP*Although I suppose that the reserve divisions also inherit the battle honours of the warship which they are named after? I guess I can follow that logic.

Yes, the NRDs did inherit the battle honours of the previous ships they were named after. Sadly after unification and the closure of some NRDs, those honours were not retained. Only a few NRDs have been reactivated since unification and to add insult to injury, they were not named after the same ships, therefore not entitled to reacquire the previous battle honours, according to the naming conventions.

The Stone Frigate at Royal Military College of Canada in Kingston, Ontario was constructed during 1813 to store part of the fleet from the War of 1812 which had been dismantled pursuant to the Rush-Bagot Treaty of 1817. The former warehouse was converted into a dormitory and classrooms when the college was established in 1876.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stone_Frigate

I just wanted to ask a quick question regarding nametags and the cadpat. I'm a NCdt and I am intending to order my nametags soon (I do not really want to wait too long for them, so I am ordering from CP Gear), however I have hit a snag. I am attached to an Army base and no one seems to know exactly which side of the name the anchor is suppose to go on, so if anyone could help me it would be greatly appreciated.

Comahawk said:
I just wanted to ask a quick question regarding nametags and the cadpat. I'm a NCdt and I am intending to order my nametags soon (I do not really want to wait too long for them, so I am ordering from CP Gear), however I have hit a snag. I am attached to an Army base and no one seems to know exactly which side of the name the anchor is suppose to go on, so if anyone could help me it would be greatly appreciated.
The following link seems to indicate that it should go on the left:

http://cms.cadets.gc.ca/rcis/pac/content-contenu.aspx?id=64678&ekfxmen_noscript=1&ekfxmensel=e5a1dcbef_147_307&LangType=3084

Comahawk said:

All of my name tags have the anchor to the right of the name.

yoman said:
All of my name tags have the anchor to the right of the name.

The anchor (or crossed swords or bird) are before the name.  If you are looking at the name tag, it is to the left of your last name.

PMedMoe said:
The anchor (or crossed swords or bird) are before the name.  If you are looking at the name tag, it is to the left of your last name.

Not so. Only the Army and the old CADPAT Navy/AF name tags have that. My anchor is after my name, as is the albatreagle on my roommates name tag.

cheeky_monkey said:
Not so. Only the Army and the old CADPAT Navy/AF name tags have that. My anchor is after my name, as is the albatreagle on my roommates name tag.

Go figure.  Even the Army (or Navy or Air Force) has to be different in that aspect.  ::)

IIRC the army ones came out first and the rest decided to modify their placement after.....

:chessy:

NFLD Sapper said:
IIRC the army ones came out first and the rest decided to modify their placement after.....

I agree, let the Navy/AF go back to wearing their own uniforms.  ;)

Back