• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The CC-130-J Hercules Merged Thread

I've done many jumps from the SHERC - Stretched Herc C130-J - in years past and they are excellent aircraft (even if they do make me sick at low level  :p)

Canada’s First CC-130J Closer to Completion

During the evening of December 7th, the first two of Canada’s 17 CC-130Js moved to the front of the production line in Marietta. The CC-130J on the left in the photo below is the first and is in the position for interior trim. The CC-130J on the right is in the final assembly position. The aircraft will be delivered in the spring of 2010.

http://cc-130j.ca/2009/12/08/canadas-first-cc-130j-closer-to-completion/

It looks like the first one is out of the paint booth.  :)

http://www.lockheedmartin.com/data/assets/aeronautics/press_photos/2010/c130j_canadian-paint.jpg

KJK :cdn:

KJK said:
It looks like the first one is out of the paint booth.  :)

http://www.lockheedmartin.com/data/assets/aeronautics/press_photos/2010/c130j_canadian-paint.jpg

KJK :cdn:

Lookin good.

Are they going to keep it gray or repaint it the standard green color that's common with the current hercs?

Current Hercs are painted dark Grey with Light Grey markings. CF opted to paint the J the same as the C-17 ie USAF light matte grey with darker markings.

I seem to recall that the initial production C-130Js had a kind of shrink-wrapped plastic anti-corrosion coating instead of paint. This reduced weight, and was supposed to last longer, but I think I heard that it was shelved pretty early on in the program.

Does anybody know anything else about this?

I've never heard of the shrink wrap.  That doesn't mean it's not true, just never heard of it.  I have to imagine it wouldn't be practical though, I'd guess damage to the finish from, say, landing on a gravel runway might be a bit hard to patch.  Neat idea though.

I'd agree that it wouldn't seem practical. Might have started off as a good idea, until they realized it was easier(and cheaper) to just paint. The whole shrink rap sounds like a really tough job, even with the increased resistance.

I'm interested to see what the fuel bays look like. I've heard rumors of a mesh-gel-sponge inserted into all the tanks to increase fuel capacity?? Sounds like scuttle-butt, but who knows...man did walk on the moon right?

C-130J deal nets $2.3bn offset package for Canada
By Stephen Trimble
Article Link

In return for the $1.4 billion acquisition of 17 C-130J airlifters by Ottawa, Canadian aerospace industry will reap $2.3 billion in offsets over the life of the contract, Lockheed Martin says.

A $1.5 billion package of "industrial regional benefits" already approved covers the next six years. This offset arrangement requires Lockheed to accept Canadian companies as suppliers of spare parts and services for the C-130Js, as well as for a variety of other aircraft programmes.

Cyclone Manufacturing, for example, will build detail parts and assemblies worth $22 million for the P-3 Orion maritime patrol aircraft, Lockheed says.

The agreements also cover several programmes that are not directly affiliated with the C-130J or even Lockheed.
More on link

The ask (NPP attached):  "To assist the Department of National Defence (DND) in renting accommodation in the most economical manner, it is the intention of the Government of Canada to solicit offers from accommodation properties in the form of daily rates for Bachelor/Studios with Kitchen, One Bedroom Suites with Kitchen or Two bedroom suites with kitchen. The accommodation supplier will make every effort to offer accommodation to DND within close proximity to the AFBs in Marietta GA, Little Rock AR and Oxnard CA."

The winner:
.... Supplier Information:
EXTENDED STAY DELUXE ATLANTA MARIETTA
2225 INTERSTATE NORTH PARKWAY
ATLANTA
Georgia
United States

(....)

Amount  $334,000.00 USD"

News Room
Arrival Of The First CC-130J Hercules
MA – 10.023 - June 3, 2010

Trenton, Ont. – The Honourable Peter MacKay, Minister of National Defence, and the Honourable Rona Ambrose, Minister of Public Works and Government Services Canada, accompanied by other dignitaries, will welcome the arrival of Canada’s new CC-130J Hercules tactical airlift aircraft.

WHERE: 8 Wing, Canadian Forces Base Trenton, Ontario
WHEN: Friday, June 4, 2010
TIME: 11:20 a.m. CC-130J Hercules flypast; 12:00 p.m. arrival ceremony

Following the arrival ceremony, there will be a media opportunity with Minister MacKay and Major-General Tom Lawson, Assistant Chief of the Air Staff, as well as a conducted media tour of the aircraft. A media opportunity with the air crew and 8 Wing Commander, Colonel Dave Cochrane, will also be offered.

Media wishing to attend are required to pre-register no later than 8 p.m. on Thursday, June 3, either online at http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/news-nouvelles/media/contact-eng.asp or by calling the DND Media Liaison Office at 613-996-2353/1-866-377-0811.

Media are requested to arrive between 10:15 a.m. and 10:50 a.m. on June 4, and should report to the 2 Air Movement Squadron Passenger Terminal, off Highway 2.

Congrats to the air force hopefully these new planes will serve them as well as the old ones did and are continuing to do so .

Our 2nd CC-130J is here now and doing flights.  These shots taken yesterday at CFB Trenton.

CC-130JHerculesLandingPatternwPr-1.jpg

CC-130JHerculesLandingPatternwPropB.jpg

CC-130JHerculesLandingPatternwPr-2.jpg

Don't smoke as bad do they? Interesting. Just wont look right I agree 8)

WingsofFury said:
And one of the SAR H models...man I'm going to miss the smoke.

They're not going anywhere anytime soon - so no worries.

Back