• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The CC-130-J Hercules Merged Thread

geo said:
LOL, LOL not the same thing but, I remember years ago when the NORDAIR pilots would turn around at the Frobisher Bay terminal building and take off using the taxiway as their runway.  Betcha the Boeing boys didn't have that in mind when they built the 737

They used to have lotsa fun in Ft Chimo/YVP as well.  Many of the NORDAIR 737 jocks earned their spurs on their NAI & NAK F27's flying DEW Line laterals, so they knew the area well.

Saturday was a day of extra sections into the big mine up the coast and then last flight they would head back to Montreal with a few hundred pounds of mail & COMAT.  They wind  up those old 737's and as soon as they had lift, they'd wheels up/flaps up and roar down the runway at 30 feet and then over the village at 200 ft, do a steep turn & climb out with a wing waggle.

Stuff they'd  get fired for in Montreal !!

Ahhh the "wild west" days of flying in the great white north... I remember them well.

I remember a 737 come down in Nanasivik with a very heavy part that was going up to the mine at Little Cornwallis Island.
The pilot landed hard and blew something like 3 tires.  They had 1 spare on station ..... so they threw everything off the plane (passengers & cargo), flew the plane empty (after installing the 1 spare) up to Resolute where they picked up another spare & returned to Nanasivik to continue service (they said it was OK to fly passengers with 1 blown tire).  The Heavy part had to wait a few days :)

geo said:
Ahhh the "wild west" days of flying in the great white north... I remember them well.

Amen bro . . .  very fond memories of may unique people & places.  Always makes me smile when I think back.

Getting a craving for a hit of "DEW Line Wine" for some reason    :blotto: 

I just put on a Blue uniform 2 months ago and I've been wearing green for 7 years.  So I've heard the C-130J is more like flying a big pig then the old Herc and was wondering if it was needed that badly.  I know we have an aging fleet and updating is needed but with the few 17's we have would it not be just as effective to buy newer versions of the older Herc insted of the J which I understand has a longer fuselage making it harder to manipulate.

Haven't heard that at all.  In fact, the opposite.  Having flown on a RAF J in theatre, I'd say that is an unfounded concern.

G2G

Your comments are akin to saying that you really liked the 1980's version of the mini-van and can't stand the current 2008 model- we should just buy new 1980 mini-vans because they worked for us?

The J-model Hercules is the model of aircraft that is being milled and produced currently - there are no other versions out there for our purchase.  We have CF aircrews in the US right now undergoing training on the J-model - they are coming, be afraid...

The extended fuselage is nothing new nor does it affect performance.  As far as being needed badly--- definitely.  Several of the older ones have developed some structural problems that would cost more to repair than the aircraft is worth.

See this is why a silly ex-land guy asked the question.  And trust me I understand stress over time with usage of equipment and replacement cost in relation to purchase of new equipment.  I asked because I had a few people tell me the pilots didn't like them so I figured I'd ask and see what I came up with because after reading an article in IDG there was a difference in what I was being told.

Im Not Telling said:
...I asked because I had a few people tell me the pilots didn't like them so I figured I'd ask and see what I came up with because after reading an article in IDG there was a difference in what I was being told.

I.N.T., that's part of the problem from the "hear it from a friend2" phenomenon.  Unless it was a Herc pilot telling you the J was a piece of crap, I would be wary of what "a few people" tell you.  ;)

G2G

Funny...I've heard a couple "J" performance rumours (all leaning towards the lacking).  My conspiracy theory is it's the FE's and the Nav's trying to talk down the machine, maybe with some help from the Tanker and SAR Herc guys.

True the "J" isn't a hornet in TAL clothing, and I'm willing to bet the C-17 is a might faster than the "J", but I think "pig" might prove a bit harsh and unrealistic a description of it's performance.

yes, yes, yes, I get it, rumours bad.  I don't trade in rumours, personally I find keeping up with the gossip a bit annoying.  Having said I've heard negative rumours doesn't mean I believe or spread said rumours, just that I've heard them kicked around. 

A lesson to everyone though....rumours are bad.  When the guy telling you the rumour has never flown a "J", I'd not put too much stock in what your hearing.

My conspiracy theory still stands  ;)

hauger said:
Funny...I've heard a couple "J" performance rumours (all leaning towards the lacking).  My conspiracy theory is it's the FE's and the Nav's trying to talk down the machine, maybe with some help from the Tanker and SAR Herc guys.

LOL!!  That is probably true!!  The J model does not come with a crew compliment (or even seats) for the NAV or for the FE, so your conspiracy theory may hold some truth!!

hauger said:
True the "J" isn't a hornet in TAL clothing, and I'm willing to bet the C-17 is a might faster than the "J", but I think "pig" might prove a bit harsh and unrealistic a description of it's performance.

You cannot compare the two.  The C-130J and the C-17 are apples and oranges.  That's like comparing a pickup truck to a semi.
There is no comparison to draw between the two - they are quite different.
Of course the C-17 is faster than the C-130.  The C-17 is designed to cruise at Mach 0.76 or 445 kts true, and the J is deisgned for just over 360 kts true.  Turbo fan versus turbo prop.  They cannot be compared to one another in terms of speed, range or altitude.

The C-130J can do things that the C-17 cannot and, likewise, the C-17 can do things that the J model cannot.

You can only compare the C130J to the older models of the C130.  And, since I have flown the E, the H, HT-90s and H-30 and the J model Hercs let me tell you from first hand that the J model (including the C130J-30 stretch version) is NOT lacking for power.  It far outclimbs, outperforms and outcruises the E and the H models.  It also accelerates quicker - the landing gear speed is still the same, so one had better clean up quick and watch the speed, or else the gear will be oversped relatively quickly.

This is the right thing for Canada:  a mixed fleet of C-17s and C130J hercules.  NOT one or the other - we need BOTH.

Just my 2 cents - from a guy who has flown both the C-17 and the C-130 ................ extensively.

Yeah, but thousands and thousands and thousands of hours of experience on 17s and 130 notwithstanding, you should see the rumours fly after 'Smasher after a few margaritas!  In fact, wasn't that place you hung out, actually called that? :cheers:

http://p099.ezboard.com/General-discussion/fc130herculesheadquartersfrm2 Try this. It's the general discussion board. There's also a board on technical issues and one on history. The general discussion board is where all of the crying takes place over navs and oilers who are faced with being put out to pasture. It also has some really good stories about Herkie goings on past and present. The tech board gives some great examples of all of the knowledge that has been accumulated over the years. That kind of information exchange has been going on for years in the Herc. world and Bob Daley who runs the whole thing is truly Mr. Herc.

The C-130J: New Hercules & Old Bottlenecks
Article Link

Most American planes rely on the US market as their base, then seek exports. The privately-developed C-130J “Super Hercules” was different. Australia, Britain, Denmark, and Italy were all ahead of the curve, and have been operating this heavily redesigned upgrade of the popular C-130 Hercules transport aircraft for several years. By the time the C-130J finally reached “initial operating capability” for the US military late in 2006, these faster-moving foreign customers were already banding together to create a common upgrade set for their serving fleets. A number of variants are currently flying in transport (C-130J), stretched transport (C-130J-30), aerial broadcaster (EC-130J), coast guard patrol (HC-130J), aerial tanker (KC-130J), and even hurricane hunter weather aircraft (WC-130J).

Canada, India and Norway recently moved to join the global C-130J customer base. In America, meanwhile, some momentum is building. C-130J purchases are taking place under both annual budgets and supplemental wartime funding, in order to replace a US tactical transport fleet that’s flying old aircraft and in dire need of major repairs.

The C-130J program has been the focus of a great deal of controversy in America – and even of a full program restructuring in 2006. Some early concerns from critics were put to rest when the C-130J demonstrated in-theater performance on the front lines that represented a major improvement over its C-130E/H predecessors. A valid follow-on question might be: does it break the bottleneck limitations that have hobbled a number of multi-billion dollar US Army vehicle development programs?

This DID FOCUS Article describes the C-130J, examines the bottleneck issue, covers global developments for the C-130J program, and looks at present and emerging competitors. The latest news includes a new MC-130J variant to compete for US Special Operations Command’s solicited requirement – which has now come through via a significant order…
More on link

Hmmm June & July 2010 instead of December 2010... better than nothing I guess.

It'll take time to recertify our aircrew to fly the J version anyway so these two advanced copies will be a little help

thanks for the update GS

Keep em flying

Back