• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Canadian Commando Course

I did the French Commando course in 1986 with 2 VP in Germany , then onto the Jump Course in 1987, both the same length of time and both can bust your balls. I agree with # 7, I was at #4, great course but now a badge on the wall that we can't wear. I am sure there are a lot of other specialty courses out there that the troops can't wear, no sense showing anyone what we have done on our uniforms. Thanks to the talking heads in Ottawa for policies that reflect their issues with troops having some distinction that shows the desk jockeys up....just sayin..

Lockbo said:
I did the French Commando course in 1986 with 2 VP in Germany , then onto the Jump Course in 1987, both the same length of time and both can bust your balls. I agree with # 7, I was at #4, great course but now a badge on the wall that we can't wear. I am sure there are a lot of other specialty courses out there that the troops can't wear, no sense showing anyone what we have done on our uniforms. Thanks to the talking heads in Ottawa for policies that reflect their issues with troops having some distinction that shows the desk jockeys up....just sayin..

Ummmmmm.  Not to be condescending, but we are not the Boy Scouts.  Do we really need to wear "Merritt Badges" to show off to others what we have/may have done?

How about an MIR Commando badge? I would have qualified from my time on TCAT in 2008....

Lets get rid of all our trade badges, branch/Corps badges.  Cornflakes for all.  All Mess Kits will look the same.  No skill or qual badges. 

Eye In The Sky said:
Lets get rid of all our trade badges, branch/Corps badges.  Cornflakes for all.  All Mess Kits will look the same.  No skill or qual badges.

Come on!  I know you don't want to give up your spurs.  ;D

Eye In The Sky said:

Paul? Paul Helleyer? Is that you?  ;D

George Wallace said:
Ummmmmm.  Not to be condescending, but we are not the Boy Scouts.  Do we really need to wear "Merritt Badges" to show off to others what we have/may have done?

Merritt is a nice town, I'd wear one  ;)

Anybody remember that Dr Seuss cartoon where some of the dudes had stars on their bellys and the others did not? Than they paid a dude and went through a machine that gave them stars on their bellies so they could all look the same.... I guess the ones without stars envied the ones with stars (Hmmmm, sound familiar, kind of like "how come they get a cool badge and I don't?")

Maybe we should bin defence ethics training and have everybody watch Dr Seuss videos...

One of those boat people will read this and stroke out...the heresy. But not before mashing the reply button to tell us to leave the curls alone.

Eye In The Sky said:

We could also remove rank badges... I bet we would see a lot of distressed people; some people wear their rank, for others, it's the rank that carries them.

Lockbo said:
their issues with troops having some distinction that shows the desk jockeys up....just sayin..

Yes, all of us riding desks in Ottawa have nothing better to do than worry about troops looking more hardcore than us.

::)

CDN Aviator said:
Yes, all of us riding desks in Ottawa have nothing better to do than worry about troops looking more hardcore than us.

::)
I suspect that would depend on if "riding desks in Ottawa" is a stop on your career path or a career in it's self.

I know the discussion is old and it would appear that such a course most likely won't be developed.  Although I believe it would be a great course where soldiers can challenge themselves and learn new skills as well as build upon skills/knowledge they already have.  Plus not all members want to be in CANSOF,  but still want to strive to be the best at what they do.

CanadianGuy said:
There actually was a "Commando course" run not too long ago in August of 1988 .... 40ish candidates only 5 succeeded and can actually say they are graduates of the "Commando Course".

IMO a attrition rate like this would be counter productive.  The course shouldn't be easy,  but it shouldn't have the majority of the course RTU'd for injuries and failing POs.

Keeping the course realistic/relevant for the Army as it isn't training members for SOF,  but giving them skills that will be beneficial for the regular Army.

From the original article,  there is a few things that can probably be removed IMO such as flamethrowers and the portions below

c. Combat Survival including resistance to interrogation
AFAIK this is what CAC Lvl C is for

f. Combat Medicine including IVs, CPR, practical gunshot training and drug administration (2.5%1 16 hours).
This is also covered during First Aid/Combat First Aid and TCCC.

g. Foreign Weapons including training on all Russian company level small arms, RPGs and automatic grenade launchers, G3, MG-31, M-60, SA-80, Steyr AUG, MPS, FNC1‘ and FAMAS Fl. (10%1 62 hours).
Not sure how easy it would be to get some of these weapons,  as well as ammo for them.  As well,  the Russian/Soviet Bloc weapons are covered during unit training/work up training.

j. Tank Hunting with M72, RPG-7, V, mines and expedient weapons (4.50 %/ 28 hours).
IMO it might be better to stick with weapons already in use by the CF for this.

As well,  this isn't a PLQ course but students should be put in leadership portions during the field portion;  perhaps even having a MCpl or Sgt acting as the Platoon Commander, etc.  I think a course like this would have a mixture of CQB/FIBUA training(with some CQC) as well as patrolling in urban and rural areas,  raids, ambushes,  selecting/marking HLZs,  basic mountaineering/rappelling(focused on conducting combat operations in a mountain enviroment),  employing helicopters and zodiacs for insert/extract(start and end of FTX),  leadership skills, PT(runs,  long ruck marches, circuit training/HIT, swimming),etc.  Reinforcing and adding to Infantry/combat skill sets.  Making sure of course that this "Commando" course is unique and isn't too similar to already existing courses such as Basic Recce, Basic Mountain Ops, etc.

Students would be physically fit,  confident in the use and employment of weapons used in a Infantry platoon,  land nav(map/compass and GPS), how to talk on a radio/Voice Procedure,  etc.  Open to NCMs and Officers of the Combat Arms some Combat Support/CSS pers(such as Sigs an Medics), etc.  Open to both Regular Force and Reservists.

I am far from a SME on the subject,  these are just my thoughts from reading the article and comments.

The short lived Commando course was prior to JTF-2 and the later creation of CANSOFCOM and its subunits.

Want a Commando course now --> SOAC or the CSOR course  (which is SOBQ right?)

-Skeletor- said:
Students would be physically fit,  confident in the use and employment of weapons used in a Infantry platoon,  land nav(map/compass and GPS), how to talk on a radio/Voice Procedure,  etc. 

Infantry Battle School?

KevinB said:
Want a Commando course now --> SOAC or the CSOR course

Not everyone wants to go CANSOF, or pass selection/SFC/SOAC.

KevinB said:
or the CSOR course  (which is SOBQ right?)

SOBQ was the CSOR Operator course name,  but it is now called SFC. 

KevinB said:
Infantry Battle School?

Are you saying the pre-reqs would be skills possessed by those who have completed Infantry DP1?

-Skeletor- said:
I know the discussion is old and it would appear that such a course most likely won't be developed.  Although I believe it would be a great course where soldiers can challenge themselves and learn new skills as well as build upon skills/knowledge they already have.  Plus not all members want to be in CANSOF,  but still want to strive to be the best at what they do.

Instead of having another course that takes soldiers away from home and puts a burden on units to either run or pony up staff, why don't we include activities like this in more collective training events?

Skeletor,,, Arer you talking "Combat Inteligence Operator"
Infanteer... Uh-Huh.
SSF 1977-1986 "CIO"
I know Old Guard Old School. Lest I Trained like the old Guard
The Fst Special Service Force.  AKA Known as
"The Devil's Brigade.
What you got? LOL
Cheer's. Scoty B

wildman0101 said:
Skeletor,,, Arer you talking "Combat Inteligence Operator"
Infanteer... Uh-Huh.
SSF 1977-1986 "CIO"
I know Old Guard Old School. Lest I Trained like the old Guard
The Fst Special Service Force.  AKA Known as
"The Devil's Brigade.
What you got? LOL
Cheer's. Scoty B

???

Eye In The Sky said:

The guy is living in the past...

Wildman0101, get over it man... I also spent a few years in the SSF (in the CAR, actually) but I don't mention it in every single one of my posts.

Back