• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Canadian Commando Course

Jungle

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Long article, but I couldn‘t link.

Article from the (CDN) Infantry journal
The Canadian Commando Course
Capt (PERSEC)

The Army is suffering a moral crisis. It is losing it‘s "combat mindset", that outlook of the profession that sets it apart from the rest of society. Combat mindset is the way of thinking that causes leaders to ask "will this make my unit more capable of defeating the enemy" or "Will my soldiers be tougher?" as opposed to what will this do to my career... or why bother, anyone can be uncomfortable". Indications that a combat mindset exists are intense interest in weapons, and tactics, physical Fitness, combat survival and adventure training. Minor injuries are considered part of training, experimentation with methods and tools to defeat the enemy is encouraged and physical luxuries in the field are seen as weakness.
If the current decline in combativeness is not reversed quickly the army will soon be little more than a police force. One step toward instilling combat mindset into the corporate body of the army is to establish a school with the sole purpose of training soldiers mentally, physically and technically for close combat. I propose that the Army establish a "Commando Course" for this purpose.

AIM

The aim of the Commando Course shall he to indoctrinate soldiers with A combat mindset and improving the armies ability to right. It will achieve it‘s goal by:
Instilling combat mindset through rigorous indoctrination,
Vigorous training in close combat and covert mobility,
Creating a big desired qualification to improve morale,
Motivating soldiers to prepare themselves for a challenging course,
Creating a test bed for infantry weapons, equipment and tactics.
Creating a cadre of highly trained irregular warfare instructors.

SCOPE

The course will be based on the World War 2 Commando Course run at Achnacarry, Scotland. It is not a version of SAS selection, the U.S. Army Ranger program or Special Forces courses. It is a course in how to fight. It is a combat skills course not a leadership course nor a unit selection device.
The course would be six weeks long and would be based at the CTC. It would he open to any trained combat or combat support arm soldier who could pass the pre-course physical fitness test. Which would consist of the current combat swim test with all times and distances doubled, the 13,78 km battle fitness test in 1 hr 45 min minutes, 8 palm down pull ups and a bench press of the candidates body weight. Candidates would also have to fire
the infantry PWT to marksman and complete all tests of elementary training on rifle platoon weapons and the pistol within 3 months of attending the Commando School.
The course would last 45 days (39 training, 3 admin, 2 travel days). Each training day would consist of 16 training hours. The course content (with the percentage of course time devoted to each and approximate hours) would consist of the following:
a. Close Quarter Battle with small arms including training with pistols, M203, flame-throwers, jungle lanes, room clearing, night fighting, expedient weapons and unarmed combat (15.51/ol 97 hours).
b. Demolitions using issue, expedient and foreign explosives (12,5%/78 hours).
c. Combat Survival including resistance to interrogation and counter tracking dog techniques (14.5%/90 hours).
d. Watermanship including combat swimming and the use of assault and recce boats (6%/ 37 hours).
e. Mountaineering (19%/ 118 hours).
f. Combat Medicine including IVs, CPR, practical gunshot training and drug administration (2.5%1 16 hours).
g. Foreign Weapons including training on all Russian company level small arms, RPGs and automatic grenade launchers, G3, MG-31, M-60, SA-80, Steyr AUG, MPS, FNC1‘ and FAMAS Fl. (10%1 62 hours).
h. Live Fire Tactics including bunker,, building and trench clearing,
section and platoon ambushes, attacks and counter ambush drills (12.5%/ 78 hours).
i. Helicopter Operations including ILZ marking, rappelling and fast
roping. (3%/ 19 hours)
j. Tank Hunting with M72, RPG-7, V, mines and expedient weapons (4.50 %/ 28 hours).
k. Battle Indoctrination including close work with artillery, demolitions and gas (1%/ 6 hours).
l. Physical Training including cross country speed marches and assault courses (15%1 93 hours).

The course would he broken down into a number of phases:
Phase 1 (2 weeks)
Combat survival, mountaineering, watermanship, combat medicine
Phase 2 (2 weeks)
Demolitions, weapons, close‘ quarter battle, tank hunting, helicopter operations.
Phase 3 (2 weeks)
Weapons, demolitions, live fire tactics, battle indoctrination.
The school should have a number of foreign subject matter experts on staff to help ensure that the curriculum is first rate. Canadian staff would be expected to he graduates of Allied "combat" schools and would receive intensive preparation training over the course of a year. Classes would he
based on platoons of 36 students. Five to six classes would be taught annually. The stringent entrance requirements will keep intake low. Staff would fill all platoon and section command slots on tactical exercises with students acting as team leaders. Safety distances would have to be modified by approximately 50 % to increase realism. The number of safety staff required would need to be reduced as would the need for special identification or rules preventing them from fitting in with the unit, for example prohibitions on the safety staff from camming up and carrying
weapons. The ration scale and accommodation would be austere. There would be few amenities at the school. Students would train for war for six weeksand nothing else. The final exercise would consist of a platoon live fire air assault supported by artillery and attack helicopters followed by an attack on a bunker complex using demolitions, M72, M203 and flame throwers. Preferably, the requirement to climb a cliff could he fitted somewhere into the scenario.
On successful completion of the course the graduates would receive a ornate metallic badge, similar to those awarded for the French Commando Courses, to be worn on dress uniforms and DEUs and a subdued "Commando" flash to be worn on combat.

CONLUSION

The establishment of the Commando School just might save the Army by stopping the rot. It would mold the minds of junior leaders and, slowly fill units with tough combat trained soldiers with the correct combat mindset. Ideally in the future it would be expected that an infantry officer or sergeant major will have graduated from the Commando School and similar intensive training would become the norm throughout the Army. :cdn:

Is the flamethrower not outlawed by the Geneva Convention, and hasn‘t Canada agreed not to train in their use?

I don‘t doubt we‘d actually use them if we ever went to war, but I thought that we promised not to....

I stand open to correction, this is dimly remembered from a much earlier conversation I had years ago...

that‘s what I was puzzled about too. There were a few mentions to the flame thrower. I hadnt even known these were used since ww2. But hey what do I know?

Some of you always have to look for the glitch... LOL!!!
Seriously, I also believe flame throwers are out, but I remember being taught about a chinese model while in the CAR. We had one for the training but it was not functional. :cdn:

Section II. FORBIDDEN CONDUCT WITH RESPECT TO PERSONS

36. Weapons Employing Fire
The use of weapons which employ fire, such as tracer ammunition,flamethrowers, napalm and other incendiary agents, against targets requiring their use is not violative of international law. They should not, however, be employed in such a way as to cause unnecessary suffering to individuals.

It‘s a terrific idea, don‘t get me wrong.

How does it fit in with our current operational tempo....if we‘ve committed 1000 to 2000 more troops to Afghanistan for six months, to be replaced after six months time, seems to me the Army will be pretty busy along with out other commitments.

Wouldn‘t we be better off putting our resources to actual formation training (in anticipation of ground warfare in the Gulf), or mountain fighting (anticipating real combat in Afghanistan) rather than individual training in street fighting or jungle warfare?

Wouldn‘t the infantry units get more use out of doing this on a unit-by-unit basis?

Aren‘t they supposed to be doing all this stuff as a unit right now?

That sounds like an amazing course.

I think it would be a great thing for raising moral and the effectiveness of our infantry soldiers and other trades that would be interested in taking it.

Might lower the amount of people getting out of the combat arms too. Maybe even having a course like this tailored to each combat trade (artillery, engineers and armored). Obviously it wouldnt be a "commando" badge but something like it maybe.

We don‘t have that many combat arms soldiers though. I can see people at NDHQ easily thinking it‘s a waste of money. "Were not fightign wars were peacekeeping" or even people getting spooked because "commando" is associated with the Airborne Regiment.

I Think Ghost may be on to something. When it ultimately gets to the bean counters and gov‘t for approval, the statement that we already have JTF2 will come into play. Politicos have no concept of morale, training, etc. The bottom line is where they live.

The stringent entrance requirements will keep intake low
This point should be looked at again. This course should be open to more than just 36 per serial (x 6 courses), especially if it is to be used to increase moral and overall fighting skills. Reason, at the orignal pace, it would take years to achieve a critical mass of personel with these skills.

However, overall...I find the concept interesting, I would sign up for it!

The course sounds like the French Commando and a Ranger course put together. A Ranger course is not a SF course, any Tom, **** or Harry can get a Ranger course in the States if you pass the PT test, etc. I have the joining instuctions somewhere and prepackage. It is open to Legs and real men both. (HAHA)
A SF/JTF is different, 5 days of **** and then 30 days of more **** , then 6 months of training. The Airborne did have the Airborne InDoc and for us Armour types, Armour Airborne Indoc. 9 days of **** for a coin.
The PF course was open to jumpers only.
This course would be great, due to the Army is going Recce. The Inf and Armour and weeding out what courses to combine, what to throw in and what to throw out.

The course sound great. I just hope it‘s there by the time I get in and have some experience to apply for it. This is teh type of program the CF needs to keep people interested, and to give us the skills needed if and when we get into combat. It could easliy apply to Peacekeeping missions, because they do get hairy.

Its only hours to go before the big budget, I have my fingers crossed that CF gets at least 1 billion extra. Because they are going to need it if we go Afghanistan this summer for a whole year or more.

Isnt anyone afriad of the word "commando"?

I read somewhere that the CAR was originally going to be called the Airborne Commando Regt, but someone thought it was too "mean sounding".

IF this course was actually made to happen I wonder how long it would take for someone to look at the physical requirements and say

"Due to the fact that the canadian forces has a wide varity of soldiers in various forms of fitness and size we have to lower the standards to ensure all peoples of all sizes and fitness levels are guarenteed an equal chance to take and pass this new course"

So when is DND going to lower the physical requirements of combat for the same reason?
"It‘s just too hard for some people."

Don‘t worry, DoD will attempt to follow suit.

The article is from a back-issue of the Infantry Journal, dated (IIRC) from 1997 or 1998.

Jungle, did you find a way to navigate to the on-line back issues? The "front door" only leads to volume 34.

I foung it while searching the Infantry School page on the DIN. They have links to a number of issues of the Journal. :cdn:

Hey all,
It sounds great but here are two basic reasons it will not fly...
1. MONEY, nothing more need be said there...
2. It goes against the freindly peacekeeping image our gov‘t wants the world to have of our regular (vs JTF)soliders.

And would it be opne to all army trades or just the cbt arms?
Any arguements..... :cam:

First post on this forum. I don’t think we need a commando course. More realistic training is what we should be doing with live fires being the norm rather than the exceptions. My first 9 years in the military where in the infantry and I can tell you the best training was always with ream ammo. Looking foreword to all your comments.

Back