• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Canadian Armed Forces modernizes military ranks in French

OceanBonfire

Reaction score
JNSG4tr.jpg

As an Anglophile far away from the Ottawa River, who didn't know the French ranks to begin with, I assume that I don't need to worry about this.

I though the idea of changing some of the rank titles was to de-gender them.

I though the idea of changing some of the rank titles was to de-gender them.
Apparently that doesn't fly in French...
I mean Quebec kind of is unique in how they view being inclusive.
cough - sign laws - cough
It doesn't fly because French (currently) has gendered nouns, pronouns, and adjectives.

This is not specifically a Quebec thing - French (as in France) military has "mon [higher rank]" for the Army (and Air Force I think) regardless if they're referring to a male or female (or non-binary, I suppose) person.

It doesn't fly because French (currently) has gendered nouns, pronouns, and adjectives.

This is not specifically a Quebec thing - French (as in France) military has "mon [higher rank]" for the Army (and Air Force I think) regardless if they're referring to a male or female (or non-binary, I suppose) person.
I was poking fun - I understand the French language and the gendered issues, I just thought it was funny in the current day optics that the CAF was busy changing ranks to accommodate a specific minority group or others ;)

So does English. They decided 'aviator' and 'sailor' were better than 'airman/airwoman' and 'seaman/seawoman'.

I don't know all the rules and conventions. I'm not a cunning linguist.

So does English. They decided 'aviator' and 'sailor' were better than 'airman/airwoman' and 'seaman/seawoman'.

Your not French you don't understand...
:sneaky:

So, I am not a lawyer. But the NDA has a schedule that defines the ranks of the CAF, and an article of the NDA that says "You may use other designations of rank, provided they are in accordance with regulations made by the Governor in Council (GiC)" (paraphrase of NDA 21(2)).

Are these designations of rank? If so, QR&O volume I chapter 3 article 3.01 needs to be amended by the GiC. If they aren't designations of rank, then what are they?

Any lawyers want to weigh in?

Neither is the RCAF cunning linguists.

According to my Canadian Oxford (which is getting a little old now) "aviator" is defined as "an airplane pilot" and NOT a private who flies in or might work on planes. There is also a definition for "aviatrix" which is "a female airplane pilot".

Any lawyers want to weigh in?
Sure. My guess is it'll be done right after the RCN takes care of that "seaman / sailor" thing. So much to do! So little brainpower to do it with!

🍻

According to my Canadian Oxford (which is getting a little old now) "aviator" is defined as "an airplane pilot" and NOT a private who flies in or might work on planes. There is also a definition for "aviatrix" which is "a female airplane pilot".
"Airpeople" doesn't roll off the tongue as well :sneaky:

Not that this makes it better, but the Aussies recently made "Aviator" a blanket term for RAAF personnel as well.

Back