• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The C7 Assault Rifle, M16, & AR15 family (C7A1, C7A2, C7 replacment, and C7 vs M16)

I gave no credence to that argument because he references M16 stories from the Vietnam war era. Let us not forget that the first M16's that were sent to the jungles of Vietnam and issued to the masses had no chrome plating in the chamber and in the barrel. They were issued to troops who were trained on the M14 who had no prior training on the M16. The guns were issued without proper cleaning kits either. Moreover, the ammunition used a dirtier burning powder than the one previously intended to be used. These failures were due to the gun being pressed into service rapidly by the American DOD.

Vietnam era M16 does not equal modern day M16A4/M4 and especially not C7A2/C8A3. Today, allied Spec Ops (the ones that can buy whatever they want) overwhelming buy C8's. His arguments are fascicle and show utter ignorance on the subject.

Cdn Blackshirt said:
I apparently read a different op-Ed than others.

My main takeaway was that our infantry is not being provided with the best rifle possible which is ridiculous given the cost to replace all infantry rifles in the USA is roughly the cost of one fighter jet.

Same op-ed, but the supporting arguments for what comprises "the best rifle possible" are what some of us have issue with. Without these arguments, one could arguably say that the M4 is a competitive platform vice the current alternatives. The M4 of today is not the early M16 of which the author does not allude to.

We're not just talking about replacing the rifles/optics/accoutrements though, he's alluding to replacing the calibre, which is a whole other can of worms. Until something is a generational leap ahead of what has come before it, we likely will not see a key NATO partner change calibres.

Legacy issues have affected all service rifle purchases of every army. For the M16 it was the powder stock issue, the Snider was a way to make 58,000 new muskets relevant. so on and so forth. Replacing a rifle and calibre causes a whole ripple effect as apparently the French discovered recently that going with anything not bullpup means a complete redesign of all their weapon holders in barracks and in vehicles.

KevinB said:
new stuff

Some evolutionary - some revolutionary (ish) -- nothing cheap ;)

I will drop some pics and info prior to SHOT,  but have been swore to secrecy until then.

Is this what you're talking about Kevin?

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=944795395545729&set=vb.120357891322821&type=2&theater

Anyone heard anything more about this?

http://www.gdcanada.com/news/currentnews/may-26-2014-x3635.html

General Dynamics and Colt Canada to Make Data Exchange Possible Between Dismounted Soldiers and C2 Platforms

Incorporating Variable Message Format (VMF) into the soldier system ensures seamless integration into Canada's Land Command Support System and brings smartphone capability one step closer to the battlefield.

Ottawa, ON - General Dynamics Canada is incorporating the Variable Message Format (VMF) interface into Colt Canada's Soldier Weapon & Observer Reconnaissance Devices (SWORD) system, extending data exchange capability all the way to the dismounted soldier.

Developed as an alternative to radio-centric individual soldier systems, the SWORD system integrates weapon-mounted surveillance and targeting devices with ruggedized smartphone technology, bringing critical situational-awareness information directly to the soldier via their weapon.  Incorporating VMF into the SWORD system ensures compatibility with higher level command and control (C2) systems, including Canada's Land Command Support System (LCSS).

"Soldiers are comfortable using smartphones," says Jeff MacLeod, general manager, Colt Canada.  "Using smartphone capability to connect to higher level Command and Control systems provides soldiers with the information they need to conduct their missions successfully and safely."

"Systems like SWORD must be linked to higher level command and control system for overall operational effectiveness and the individual safety of dismounted soldiers," adds David Ibbetson, vice president, General Dynamics C4 Systems International.  "VMF is a standard method that has been adopted by several nations, including Canada, to provide critical information directly to soldiers ensuring servicemen and women are always connected and equipped for what lies ahead."

Based on commercial off-the-shelf components, the SWORD system provides power, data and navigation infrastructure within the weapon, including GPS and inertial navigation for GPS-denied situations.  Enhanced with modern smartphone technology and the ability to host battle management applications, these networked rifles will deliver the information soldiers need to execute missions safely and successfully.

SWORD will be on display at the Canadian Association of Defence and Security Industries (CADSI) CANSEC show being held in Ottawa May 28-29, 2014.

General Dynamics Canada is part of General Dynamics C4 Systems, a business unit of General Dynamics (NYSE: GD). For information about General Dynamics Canada please go to www.gdcanada.com.

Colt Canada is a wholly owned Subsidiary of Colt Defense LLC. For more information on Colt Defense please go to www.colt.com.

Thucydides said:

I can see us saving millions by not having to teach soldiers hand signals  ::)

Thucydides said:

Yes!

Not going to lie, I got fan boy excited about this when I listened to someone at Shot this year talk about this.

Indirect machine gun fire request from platoon commander to MG position or pintle mounted MG: soldier gets a prompt on his device, directs him where to aim and squeeze trigger. First round hit at max range from GL on a target out of LOS (demonstrated last year at Shot apparently). Can integrate drone use. Software capable of tracking barrel wear. On the domestic/civi side the system could be deployed to manage multi-jurisdiction crisis: every responder gets a wrist mounted unit issued when arriving. helping distribute and control assets.

If you are really interested and want the straight dope I can ask the guy I talked to to swing by here?

Curious:  Is there a concern if the enemy captures a rifle fitted with this equipment?  Can they use the equipment to hack into or disrupt the information system?

Privateer said:
Curious:  Is there a concern if the enemy captures a rifle fitted with this equipment?  Can they use the equipment to hack into or disrupt the information system?

Probably very easy to remotely disable the device's access to the system using (if its a smartphone) the unique equipment indentifier. The concern would be to zeroize the information its holding prior to capture, which may or may not be easy to do if the operator is incapacitated.

PuckChaser said:
Probably very easy to remotely disable the device's access to the system using (if its a smartphone) the unique equipment identifier. The concern would be to zeroize the information its holding prior to capture, which may or may not be easy to do if the operator is incapacitated.

You sir, just taught me a new word. Zeroize. thanks.

Is texting and shooting more hazardous than drinking and shooting?

Privateer said:

If you fabricate it from chocolate, the Infantry would eat it  ;D

PuckChaser said:
Probably very easy to remotely disable the device's access to the system using (if its a smartphone) the unique equipment indentifier. The concern would be to zeroize the information its holding prior to capture, which may or may not be easy to do if the operator is incapacitated.
We are in love with tech. So much so that soon the decision to shoot/not shoot will be taken out of the soldier's hands.

Crap like this will bite us in the a$$.

Hamish Seggie said:
We are in love with tech. So much so that soon the decision to shoot/not shoot will be taken out of the soldier's hands.

Crap like this will bite us in the a$$.

Considering it'll be trying to use frequency spectrum in an already crowded battlespace, and it may be possible to Direction Find individual soldiers with this equipment.... lots of stuff to worry about in a near-peer conflict.

http://www.alloutdoorstech.com/photo-video/tyan/colt-canada-developing-a-new-combat-rifle-us-marine-corps/

Colt Canada is developing a new combat rifle with the US Marine Corps

While I was conducting research for my article on building a Canadian C8 SFW clone, I found the Royal Canadian Military Institute (RCMI) presentation by the General Manager of Colt Canada. In it, he talked about a number of military weapon projects Colt Canada is currently working on. At 15:45 he talks about a future combat rifle development the US Marine Corps is actively involved with, as well as the Canadian Forces and the British Ministry of Defence.

My notes (with my comments) on this development in the Colt Canada presentation at RCMI:

The rifle is still based on the Stoner design (aka the M16 and AR-15), and it’s chambered for the 5.56x45mm NATO caliber. It features fully ambidextrous weapon controls, just like the latest versions of the Canadian C7 and C8. The weapon will be 1/2 pound lighter than a Colt M4 with a comparable optic, thermal and laser mounted.
    The current metallic cartridge small arms ammunition is at the developmental apex. Colt Canada is not looking at moving away from the 5.56x45mm NATO.
    Integrated sound suppressor. Keeping the direct-impingement action makes a lot of sense. As the suppressor is designed as part of the weapon from the start, there will be no point-of-impact shift issue to deal with.
    Monolithic upper receiver with modular accessory interface. It looks like the Magpul M-Lok system. Btw, Colt Canada developed their monolithic upper design way before Vltor and LMT did theirs.
    New collapsible stock. Finally! Colt Canada is moving away from the original Colt Fiberlite CAR stock design.
    Built-in modular power & data rail system. Optic and accessories mounted on it not only get power from the rail, but it also allow data communication between the devices. This could be a simple activation button, to feeding images from a thermal imager. The power & data interface is the dual small round contacts between the Pictinny rail slots.
    Central power pack at the rear of the weapon. From the look of it, it’s mounted under the buffer tube. The location is probably for counter-balancing the weight of the suppressor mounted at the front of the weapon.
    The digital optic sight. It’s probably a fixed 4x prism sight with digital display overlay inside showing range/ballistic data (for the rifle and the under-barrel grenade launcher), and allows image feed from thermal imaging device. In addition, the sight has an etched reticle and it will work as a simple traditional 4x rifle sight without power or if the electronics die.  It’s interesting to see who is the actual manufacturer of this sight. It is likely either ELCAN or Trijicon.
    Wireless networking built-in, wired data connection, navigation and inertial sensors. Well, I’m not so sure about having all of those mounted onto a rifle is a good idea. All of those features are part of the Canadian Forces/Colt Canada’s SWORD System.

interesting to say the least

Wireless networking etc etc. Those in the PBI are being overwhelmed by the Techies. What ever happened to the concept of marksmanship ie. putting accurate aimed rounds effectively on an observed target with the idea being to kill it?

I think the idea is to do as much possible with technology to aid the shooter to put more rounds accurately down range as possible, then again better way to do that IMO would be researching better ways to control recoil, better barrel harmonics, maybe a floating sight that doesn't move when the rifle is fired from the target location.

Sorry, in my very humble opinion this sounds very much like a salesman in a Purina checkerboard jacket and spotted bowtie's apologia. Tech usually equals weight and increased maintenance, floating barrels etc are fine for match grade weapons (competition shooters, snipers) but the great mass of soldiers need sound training in the basic shooting skills, solid simple robust weapons and much live fire as can be practically managed, not super weapons. Run a range with 1 relay firing, 1 pulling targets and the remainder undergoing some form of ancillary training (dry grouping springs to mind). Shoot on a monthly basis. Not a new idea! Sometimes looking/going backwards is the better way forward. Just sayin'

Back