• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The brown Temperate Combat Boot (AKA: Mk IV Cbt Boot) - No longer CADPAT

MCG said:
The boots on the left is the current hot weather combat boot.  It is smooth leather body with canvas tongue and canvas sides from the ankle up. 
The pair of boots on the right is the current temperate weather combat boot.  It is suede or nubuck thourout.

Oddly enough, the boot on the left is coloured much like chocolate Easter bunnies and has a significant amount of contrast with the arid uniform with which it should usually be paired, but it works really well with the temperate uniform.  The boot on the right is a little lighter and works well with both temperate and arid combat uniforms.

If the Army is still looking at one colour of boot for both uniforms, hopefully there is a lesson learned on how dark is too dark.

Quite so. Your post reminds me of this video. The boot that ended up brown was actually that lighter colour when it was being designed; now it is brown. It is described in this video and sitting right next to the cadpat boots.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbJueEcQ-o4

MCG said:
The pair of boots on the right is the current temperate weather combat boot.  It is suede or nubuck thourout.

I was just issued those boots, and the box says "Desert Combat Boot". I think you have it reversed, as the crappy Temperate boots were the ones with the brown no commercial retailer could match, aka the ones on the left.

MCG said:
The boots on the left is the current hot weather combat boot.  It is smooth leather body with canvas tongue and canvas sides from the ankle up. 

In your photo the boots on the left look like the Boots, Combat, Arid Region(on the label on the boot tongue) - going off the photos St-Cyr posted. Not sure if those are the LOTBs or something different.  The boots on the right are the current Hot Weather/desert boots.

As others have mentioned the brown boots with the fabric ankles and the brown boots with air holes all over them are ''Arid Region'' and ''Desert'' boots respectively.

We have yet to see any apparition of the land operations temperate boots. I've seen the MERX listings but have never seen a boot with ''Land Operations Temperate Boot'' written on its tag.

One hopes that they eventually release a boot with a colour that can be easily matched by other boots. The British MOD brown boots have many different good quality makers like Haix and Altberg and I'd get a pair of MOD brown boots if I was certain the brown was a match. Otherwise, if they could go for a suede boot in coyote brown the options for private purchase would be virtually endless.

Rest assured. They are probably trying to come up with a colour that you will only see in the CF. No aftermarket boot will match it, even remotely.

Sergeant Majors will love being able to spot aftermarket boots from 50 paces, with just a glance. ;D

If the boots with the air holes are now the Temperate combat boot, they look an awful lot like my desert boots, then fine, they were reasonably comfortable and make sense for the summer, issue every one those. I saw a power point about the army purchasing a NEOS style over boot, between the two and the issued socks I'll be good until I need my Muklucks.

recceguy said:
Rest assured. They are probably trying to come up with a colour that you will only see in the CF. No aftermarket boot will match it, even remotely.

Sergeant Majors will love being able to spot aftermarket boots from 50 paces, with just a glance. ;D

Quite so.  That is what I perceive to be their intent as well. Sad, I had my eye on the Blackhawk warrior in coyote brown for the longest time. That Vibram sole is fantastic.

PuckChaser said:
I was just issued those boots, and the box says "Desert Combat Boot". I think you have it reversed, as the crappy Temperate boots were the ones with the brown no commercial retailer could match, aka the ones on the left.

Yes and I have a pair, and there is no commercial boot polish that matches them either.  You could use clear polish but that doesn't cover scuff's at all, and these boots do scuff very easily.  So no my boots are even darker than issued as I use the standard brown polish that that civilian world uses :-/

Jon

Old EO Tech said:
Yes and I have a pair, and there is no commercial boot polish that matches them either.  You could use clear polish but that doesn't cover scuff's at all, and these boots do scuff very easily.  So no my boots are even darker than issued as I use the standard brown polish that that civilian world uses :-/

Jon

What? :eek:

Are you purposely trying to drive your RSM crazy? ;D

Don't worry, I'm sure Boulette will kindly develop a specific polish at a reasonable 25 dollars a tin.

To clarify I'm a bit confused, maybe I'm just misreading here, but the boots, combat, hot weather are the paler boots with the holes in them correct? And the arid are the darker brown?

markppcli said:
Don't worry, I'm sure Boulette will kindly develop a specific polish at a reasonable 25 dollars a tin.

To clarify I'm a bit confused, maybe I'm just misreading here, but the boots, combat, hot weather are the paler boots with the holes in them correct? And the arid are the darker brown?

Yep yep.

Speaking of Boulet, here is the new land operations temperate boot they came up with (and it's brown).

http://www.bouletboots.com/index.php?page=48&MCatID=1&CatID=20&PID=235

Mr. St-Cyr said:
As others have mentioned the brown boots with the fabric ankles and the brown boots with air holes all over them are ''Arid Region'' and ''Desert'' boots respectively.

Thanks for the clarification. Makes perfect sense that we have 2 different types of hot weather boot, but nothing for "temperate" wear yet.

recceguy said:

I have spoken with Niner about this and when the troops are issued these crap boots and our COA in response.

I am not confident the CF can supply us with anything close to the 80% solution.

recceguy said:

The RSM at 1VP has indeed seen them and only asked me "if they are the new boots" so I took that as an opportunity to educate him on the dogs breakfast boots in the Army has become :-/

Jon

It's so sad that the greatest concern in the army these days seems to be whether or not one's kit is issued or aftermarket. Issued kit is often purchased by the military from the lowest bidder and has often been trialled by people who are least likely to use it for it's intended purpose. I've found it odd how xenophobic Canada is about non-issued kit when most other military's around the world have embraced it and realized that not every soldier uses the same kit to operate effectively. There's clearly a reason why units like CANSOFCOM use little to no kit that's issued to the rest of the CF and when they do it's usually modified in a fashion that gives CSM's from other units aneurysms.

Canadian companies would spin it and ask why the CF isn't supporting local businesses and not "buying Canadian". Can you imagine the fall out of the CF purchasing boots from Danner or Rocky instead of getting a company in Quebec to make boots?  The new boots we're trialing look worse than what you would find at Walmart. Two styles even had gigantic tri-force logos taking up the whole width of the boot tongue.

I'm certainly not suggesting that the CF purchases foreign kit. In some cases purchasing the rights to manufacture foreign kit in a CADPAT would suffice ie. the British Bergan. However since it would be impossible to produce a boot that would suit every soldier in every situation why does upper management have such a hard on for non-issue boots. The British army found out in the Falklands that issued boots that were poor quality and not meant for the terrain they were operating in created as many casualties as the the enemy.

x_para76 said:
. However since it would be impossible to produce a boot that would suit every soldier in every situation why does upper management have such a hard on for non-issue boots. The British army found out in the Falklands that issued boots that were poor quality and not meant for the terrain they were operating in created as many casualties as the the enemy.

Why do you say "upper management" has a hard on for non-issue boots?  Every unit I have been in for the last say 10 years did not really care what boots you wear as long as they were black and military looking.  I have not even heard of people being harassed over their boots once they have passed basic training.

Before I went on pre-training for Afghanistan I had the foresight to get a boot chit to allow me to wear my Lowa's from the M.O. The pre-training was being run by 1 RCR and sure enough the first day that we were on the ranges I was confronted by the platoon warrant and told that as per the D.S I wasn't allowed to wear them. It was at that point that I presented him with my laminated boot chit. I agree it maybe  an extreme length to go to but I knew it would be necessary because of my past experience with the RcR.

Back