• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The brown Temperate Combat Boot (AKA: Mk IV Cbt Boot) - No longer CADPAT

NFLD Sapper said:
Seems Original Swat now has a brown boot that is close in colour to the new brown boot being issued.....

I spoke to one of the Original SWAT reps for Canada a few weeks ago at a CANEX demo. He's trying to stay in the loop with whats going on for the new CF boots, and as soon as they make the final decision and he can get his hands on a pair, he will colour match and produce boots in at least the Classic 9". He isn't doing anything now as he knows its not firm, and doesn't want to do a 5,000 boot run in a colour that's not final.

Seeing as how the ARCBs are stop-dropped, I wonder how long/what the heck I'm going to get for the custom boots that were ordered in August but have yet to be sized... I sure as hell don't want to be doing ruck marches in a safety boot, the GPs were heavy/ackward enough.

PuckChaser said:
I spoke to one of the Original SWAT reps for Canada a few weeks ago at a CANEX demo. He's trying to stay in the loop with whats going on for the new CF boots, and as soon as they make the final decision and he can get his hands on a pair, he will colour match and produce boots in at least the Classic 9". He isn't doing anything now as he knows its not firm, and doesn't want to do a 5,000 boot run in a colour that's not final.

Seeing as how the ARCBs are stop-dropped, I wonder how long/what the heck I'm going to get for the custom boots that were ordered in August but have yet to be sized... I sure as hell don't want to be doing ruck marches in a safety boot, the GPs were heavy/ackward enough.

Maybe buy yourself a pair of swats?

NFLD Sapper said:
Maybe buy yourself a pair of swats?

I have a set, purchased on my own dime. CF is responsible to find boots that fit me for my job, and I don't fit the off the shelf sizing. Even the SWATs aren't as good a fit as I'd like.

Please come into LSS Clothing Stores to be sized for a suitable substitute in either the CWWB (Cold Wet Weather Boot) or AFTCB (Air force temperate safety boots).

I didn't know Safety started with a silent 'C'.

TCB= Temperate COMBAT Boot.  8)

PuckChaser said:
I have a set, purchased on my own dime. CF is responsible to find boots that fit me for my job, and I don't fit the off the shelf sizing. Even the SWATs aren't as good a fit as I'd like.

You ever try wearing Danner's or Rocky's?  I just bought a pair of Danner's and they are amazing!  You gotta drop some money for them (my Danner's were $200) but they don't fall apart in 3 months and are a very high quality boot.  You should also be able to order a special size if you goto a boot store and get them there.

I had a set of Rocky S2Vs a while back, and were great until the eyes ripped out and shredded the laces after a month of use. I think they've done better on them now, but the experience I had with the dealer in Canada I bought them from left me gunshy to spend another $200 on boots that I may or may not be able to warranty if they fail.

I've got a mortgage soon and another kid on the way, shouldn't need to be buying boots to do my job. Was easy to put the cash away as a single guy, but not anymore. If the army wants to buy me Rocky's I'll wear them though.

They removed the eyelits on them as the coy noted they were ripping.  I agree with you though the CF should be providing soldiers with bootsa dn good boots at that.

Any updates on the brown boots? 

I'm down to 1 pair of black boots at the moment,  and don't really want to invest in another pair of black boots if I'm going to be allowed to wear my brown boots(private purchase, I have a chit) in a month or two.  Nor do I want to be the first guy to start wearing brown boots in the unit until I see others wearing them, or some documentation saying it's good to go. 

Last email I saw on the subj of CF kit was that the Brown boot went back to contracting, and they aren't anticipating delivery until Fall/Winter 2013, with the contract awarded sometime in the summer.

Great... So in other words we will sit and wait to hear that another contract has been canceled in a few months. I guess I'll buy one more set of black SWATs as mine are starting to fall apart.

Had some false hopes that the boot procurement would run along side the new combats we now have.... oh wait...  I'm down to one set of old ratty combats and I'm about to deploy to the field for 2 months.... awesome...

Have you guys seen the brown boots yet?

I ask because one of guys I work with has been issued them already, ill try and catch up with him tomorrow and snap a photo of the boots.

brandon_ said:
Have you guys seen the brown boots yet?

I ask because one of guys I work with has been issued them already, ill try and catch up with him tomorrow and snap a photo of the boots.

There's some pictures in this thread already, but since the brown boot failed, it may be a different one contracted in the Fall.

I just remembered that the email also stated that if you need boots and the there are no GP available in your size, they're issuing out desert boots as an interim.

bananaman said:
Great... So in other words we will sit and wait to hear that another contract has been canceled in a few months. I guess I'll buy one more set of black SWATs as mine are starting to fall apart.

Had some false hopes that the boot procurement would run along side the new combats we now have.... oh wait...  I'm down to one set of old ratty combats and I'm about to deploy to the field for 2 months.... awesome...

Back before Christmas I received an email coming down from the LFWA SM, and likely the result of a decision at AFC, that if you can not get two sets of GP boots due to shortages before the Brown boots hit the ground, supply is authorized to issue you AR boots and wearing them is authorized.  Myself I found the AR boots that I wore in 2008 very comfortable.  I have not yet seen people wearing desert boots in Edmonton yet, but if the Brown boots are delayed for QA reasons, we may very well see them soon.

PuckChaser said:
Last email I saw on the subj of CF kit was that the Brown boot went back to contracting, and they aren't anticipating delivery until Fall/Winter 2013, with the contract awarded sometime in the summer.
An update - this on MERX this morning:
.... The Department of National Defence (DND) has a requirement for Land Operations Temperate Boots (LOTB), spare laces and inserts in Brown Colour to be supplied in accordance with DND specifications. This procurement is divided in two phases:

Phase 1: A maximum of three contracts will be awarded for the supply of 200 pairs of boots under each contract. Delivery to be made to Gatineau, Quebec. These boots will be used for a User Acceptance Trial.

Phase 2: Following the User Acceptance Trial result, one or two contracts will be awarded for the firm total quantity of 80,000 pairs of boots, 40,000 pairs of spare laces and 40,000 pairs of spares inserts to be delivered to Montreal, Quebec and Edmonton, Alberta. The Contract also includes one option to purchase additional maximum quantity of 70,000 pairs of boots, 40,000 pairs of spare laces and 40,000 pairs of spares inserts exercisable during a period of 48 months from contract award date ....
Tender closes "2013-05-23 02:00 PM Eastern Daylight Saving Time EDT" -  a few more technical details also available in excerpt from bid documents here

In my estimation it will be another year at least before we see brown boots on general issue.

Jim Seggie said:
In my estimation it will be another year at least before we see brown boots on general issue.

And if the sizing is anything like the current boot, it's another one I'll never get issued.  ;D

One wonders how much money has been spent on failed boot purchases to date.

Loachman said:
One wonders how much money has been spent on failed boot purchases to date.

I know the $70 I paid to put Vibram soles on my own boots (twice) has been well spent.  :nod:

Unverified RUMINT that I am hearing is that the Land Operations Temperate Boots (LOTB) represents a convergence of the brown Temperate Combat Boot (TCB) and the brown Arid Combat Boot.  Instead of having two brown boots in the system for soldiers to select their preference for wear, there will be one brown boot and less cost to the crown.

So, aside from being a poorly-fitting foot-destroyer never available through the supply system in one's correct size, it'll also be too warm for wear in actual hot-weather areas...?

If "less cost to the crown" was really a factor, a boot allowance (yes, not going to happen, I know) would be the only logical choice.

No expensive trial.

No expensive warehousing.

No expensive rejection of every multi-thousand-boot order time and time again.

No running out of the most common sizes.

No constant bitching about fit and comfort, or lack thereof.

A boot designed to meet the rigours of commercial competition will trounce a boot designed by an uncaring manufacturer generously bestowed with guaranteed income regardless of performance.

Back