• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Blood Pressure Superthread

Swally said:
True yeah. And part of why I'm asking is reassurance that it is still possible to get in.
But there are two other parts of my question that I'm looking for answers to too namely what people have done to "prepair" for the medical because I have two months to get ready.
The other part is if BP changes anything in your career. Like if I were to get in, and then in 5 years I'm told I've got high BP, sorry you're stuck in an office for the rest of your career now.

Know what I mean?

All things will vary depending on circumstances.  In my case, my hypertension can be controlled with medication to keep it in the normal range.  I am not restricted from deployment and have done so more than once with a six month supply of pills in my pocket.  On the other hand, I have a friend whose blood pressure couldn't be brought down, no matter what they tried.  He's now a civilian.

Thank you and yeah that;s fair. I have been on these little pills for 13 or 14 years. Holds everything right where they need to be.

I had an interesting problem when I was much younger - my blood pressure was naturally low enough that there were a few times where a nurse got a panicked expression and immediately grabbed a doctor to get a closer look. More or less, it was low enough that I should have been falling on my face if I stood up too quickly. At least, so I was told. As it turns out it has to do with the fact that twins of my type tend to be smaller and slower in terms of development (I had to wait until I was 19 to get my driver's license because I still looked like I was 12 at 16), so they were basing the readings on a standard which couldn't reasonably apply to me.

Now, my twin brother is built like a reinforced brick wall, and I'm not that far behind him (different tastes in athletics are a significant factor in our physical divergence over the years). I've been extraordinarily lucky in regards to cardiac health, but since both of my paternal grandparents died as a result of CHF, I have to wonder if the higher risk factor could end up being a cause for concern, especially because my blood pressure is still on the lower end of normal.

Xylric said:
. . . I've been extraordinarily lucky in regards to cardiac health, but since both of my paternal grandparents died as a result of CHF, I have to wonder if the higher risk factor could end up being a cause for concern, especially because my blood pressure is still on the lower end of normal.

"Concern" in regards to what?  Your future health? Or, your enrolment medical?  If you are wanting input as to what it means for your future - talk to your doctor - the internet is no substitute for a trained medical professional.  If your immediate concern is the enrolment medical, talk to the trained medical professional who examines you, however (personally) I wouldn't worry about it.  While you are asked about family  history as part of an enrolment medical (and probably any other employment medical), the purpose of the medical is to determine if the applicant has any current or expectant (potential) medical conditions that would preclude him/her from doing the job that could be offered.  You have (according to you) a blood pressure that is usually in the normal range; unless there has been some past investigation of your cardiovascular health (especially if you've had a past diagnosis) or something else is discovered during the exam, the examiner is unlikely to delve deeper than usual into that aspect of your health.

Currently going through the PRes Re-Enrollment process here in Ottawa. Fit test went fine, medical was fine except elevated blood pressure (141/86). Which wouldn't come down after 5 mins of quiet resting.

Now I've always been classes as pre-hypertensive, but never an issue ( I'm 45). This was most disconcerting. However, despite abstaining from coffee for more than 4 hours, it was still elevated.

Now when you're over 40, they want your physician to review your health and weigh in. I spoke with him this am, and completely missed something....I take Siberian Ginseng every day as a supplement. This is known to give a fair amount of energy, but also to elevate resting blood pressure levels. So off it I go, drinking plenty of water, and requesting a re-visit to the medics in a week to have it re-tested.

Pay attention to what you put in your body folks....

Update on my situation:
File is on hold because I need to get two tattoos cleaned up a bit hehe
Blood Pressure though is still something that worries me and I recently did a bit ,ore digging.

I was wondering if anyone could help me out with the G2/G3. I read it as ANY prescription medication taken means you're a G3 (which would make me a G3).

http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/about-policies-standards-medical-occupations/cf-medical-category-system.page

Has anyone gotten in as a G3?
Anybody know of anyone on prescription meds that is a G2?

Cheers!  ;D

There are probably 1000's of members on some sort of medication that are G2, myself included.

Swally said:
Update on my situation:
File is on hold because I need to get two tattoos cleaned up a bit hehe
Blood Pressure though is still something that worries me and I recently did a bit ,ore digging.

I was wondering if anyone could help me out with the G2/G3. I read it as ANY prescription medication taken means you're a G3 (which would make me a G3).

http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/about-policies-standards-medical-occupations/cf-medical-category-system.page

Has anyone gotten in as a G3?
Anybody know of anyone on prescription meds that is a G2?

Cheers!  ;D

http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/about-policies-standards-medical-occupations/officer-ncm-minimum-medical-standards.page

Lots of trades that are a minimum G3 for entry, also ref footnote 2.

TrunkMonkey315 said:
http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/about-policies-standards-medical-occupations/officer-ncm-minimum-medical-standards.page

Lots of trades that are a minimum G3 for entry, also ref footnote 2.

No trades have a minimum G3 for entry (enrolment) - less CIC and COATS that footnote 2 refers to, but they can't really be considered in the same category as other trades in the CF.  The Common Enrolment Medical Standard is G2 O2, so the minimum enrolment standard for "all trades" is G2.  The medical standards are not just for enrolment, the minimum standards that are at that link you provided are also the minimum that current serving members have to continue to meet before their retention in trade (or in the CF) is reviewed - that's what that "G3" means.

Back