• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Blackadder thread...

Baldricks-Bullet

Inactive
Reaction score
Any Blackadder adicts out there????  I can't help it ... Baldrick is my hero.

Erm, what is the actual scale of this map, Darling?
Erm, one-to-one, Sir.
Come again?
Er, the map is actually life-size, Sir. It's superbly detailed. Look, there's a little worm.
So the actual amount of land retaken is?
Seventeen square feet, Sir

Blackadder 2: "Who's Queen?" "OK, there were these magnificent ORANGE elephants."
Blackadder 3: "No, just a wild stab in the dark... which is incidentally what you'll be getting if you don't start being more helpful!"
Blackadder 4: "I don't care how many times they go up diddly up dup... they're still GITS!"

The best series: It's neck and neck between series 2 & 4. But for me "Blackadder goes Forth (4)" has to win by a nose. (Any other quotes?... do they need adjusting in light of recent events?)

Hubby and I LOVE Blackadder. I've been meaning to buy him the DVDs but have a hard time finding them in stores around here.

I caught a Blackadder reunion type show quite by mistake once...only got to see the last 15 minutes of it. Loved it, but was upset I missed the majority of it. Haven't been able to find that one either.

CAW

Heh.... Love the Blackadder series.... Priceless!!
Like the WW1 series most of all.... and Ohhhh what a way to finish!  Marvelous!

I teared up watching that last episode of Blackadder goes forth. It was dead sad and i was about 10.
"Instead of Coffee its just mud"

Cdn Arty Wife; you can get the whole Blackadder DVD collection online at Amazon.ca;

http://www.amazon.ca/Blackadder-The-Complete-Collectors-Set/dp/B000EBCEVS/sr=8-1/qid=1171375695/ref=pd_ka_1/701-3995736-7601928?ie=UTF8&s=dvd

It includes all four seasons (series) plus the special "Back and Forth," which may have been the one you caught the last bit of.

I've been pinching my pennies for it myself. (I keep putting it on my XMas list, but I have to admit, 100 bucks is a bit steep for a prezzy).

My Fave Blackadder episode: "Corporal Punishment," from Blackadder goes Forth. The beginning scene where Blackadder keeps inventing "comms problems" to prevent getting the message to attack is gut-wrenchingly funny.

"Yes, George; it is an order to attack, but it seems to be addressed to a 'Cat-pain Black-Udder.' Do you know anyone named 'Cat-Pain Black-Udder' George?"

When I was an instructor in the Officer Sqn at the Sigs School (CFSCE), we would show that portion to the young Signal Officers, telling them "this is how the Infantry will treat you... get used to it!"

The neat thing is, I just spent a year in the UK at school; even British Army Majors enjoy quoting from Blackadder!

Cheers!

Thanks Pinto...

Since hubby spent his birthday in KAF, I think I can spring for that as an Easter/Late Bday gift for when he's home on HLTA. (I like giving gifts that I can get just as much enjoyment out of...I don't know if it is more for him or me. LOL)

A while back a few guys on here were commenting on their wives spending their tour pay on such things as candle and spice parties...I guess I'm an exception...I'm buying Blackadder DVDs, bullets with names on them, tshirts that say "Sexually Deprived For Your Freedom, Kandahar Afghanistan" and whatnot.  :dontpanic:

Downright the funniest series ever, I was going to call myself Blackadder when I first join, in fact.

I own all of the series on DVD, including the Christmas and Mellinium special.  Black Adder goes forth is one of my favourite, however they are all brilliant..

Blackadder "I spy with my bored little eye something beginning with... 't'."
Baldrick "Breakfast."
Blackadder "What?"
Baldrick "My breakfast always begins with tea, thenI have a little sausage. Then an egg with some little soldiers."
Blackadder "When I say it begins with 't', I meant a letter."
Baldrick "No, it never begins with a letter, the postman don't come until 10.30."

Blackadder (on Johnson) "I'd bump into cleverer people at a lodge meeting of the Guild of Village Idiots."
Baldrick "That's not what you said when you sent him your navel."
Blackadder "Novel, Baldrick, not navel. I sent him my novel."

dileas

tess

One of the regulars here has a Blackadder quote in his sig line.

Matthew.  ;D

Tell me Young crone, is this Putney?
That it be, that it be.
"Yes it is". Not "that it be". You don't have to talk in that stupid voice to me. I'm not a tourist.

Blackadder: [to Baldrick] This is a crisis. A large crisis. In fact, if you've got a moment, it's a twelve-storey crisis with a magnificent entrance hall, carpeting throughout, 24-hour porterage and an enormous sign on the roof, saying 'This Is a Large Crisis'. A large crisis requires a large plan. Get me two pencils and a pair of underpants!

"Deny everything Baldrick"
"Are you Private Baldrick?"
"No."
"But you are Captain Blackadder's batman?"
"No."
"Oh, come on, Baldrick -- be a bit more helpful, it's me." (Lieutenant George)
"No, it isn't."

the 48th regulator said:
Blackadder "I spy with my bored little eye something beginning with... 't'."
Baldrick "Breakfast."
Blackadder "What?"
Baldrick "My breakfast always begins with tea, thenI have a little sausage. Then an egg with some little soldiers."
Blackadder "When I say it begins with 't', I meant a letter."
Baldrick "No, it never begins with a letter, the postman don't come until 10.30."
Captain Blackadder: I can't go on with this. George, take over.
Lieutenant George: All right, sir. Umm... I spy with my little eye something beginning with "R"
Private Baldrick: Army.
Captain Blackadder: For God's sake, Baldrick. Army starts with an "A". He's looking for something that starts with an "R". Rrrrrrr.
Private Baldrick: Motorbike
Captain Blackadder: What?
Private Baldrick: Well, a motorbike starts with an rrrrm rrrrm rrrrm.
Captain Blackadder: Right, right, right. My turn again. What begins with "Come here" and ends in "Ow"?
Private Baldrick: I don't know.
Captain Blackadder: Come here.
Private Baldrick: [Blackadder punches Baldrick in the face] Ow!

Blackadder: Im gonna make an educated guess, something you, george, Couldnt do
George: yeah, education could go hang as long as you could sing the school song really lioud and take a hot crumbett from behind without blubbing
Blackadder: me however am a fully rounded human being with a degree form the school of life, a diploma from the school of hard knocks, and three gold stars from the kindergarden of getting the shit kicked out of me, and I deduce that we are finally going to go over the top
George: great scot, you dont mean, the time is finally here to go over the top and ive jerry a piece of our british spunk ?
Blackadder: or we'll all gonna get killed
George: oh, come now
Blackadder: give m your helmet lieutendant
(throw helmet over the top and gets riddled with bullets)
George: Yes, I think ill need some clever hat camoflage

The ending was surprising and moving considering it was a comedy. Like, blackadder telling everyone "good luck" was so out of character

Baldrick:  My father was a nun.
Blackadder:  No he wasn't!
Baldrick:  Yes, he was!  Everytime he was up in court, the magistrate would say: Occupation? And he'd say: None. 

Blackadder:  Dr. Johnson has just completed his book.  Apparently it has taken him ten years.
Prince George:  Well, yes, I'm a rather slow reader myself.

Lord Flasheart: All right men, let's do-oo-oo it! The first thing to remember is: always treat your kite
[Flashheart taps the picture of the Sopwith Camel with his stick]
Lord Flasheart: like you treat your woman!
[Flashheart whips the air with his cane]
Lieutenant George: How, how do you mean, Sir? Do you mean, do you mean take her home at weekends to meet your mother?
Lord Flasheart: No, I mean get inside her five times a day and take her to heaven and back.
Captain Blackadder: I'm beginning to see why the suffragette movement are wanting the vote.
Lord Flasheart: Hey, hey! Any girl who wants to chain herself to my railings and suffer a jet movement gets my vote!

Wellington: The men had a whip round and bought you this. Well, that is to say I had the men roundly whipped UNTIL they bought you this. It's a cigarillo case emblazoned with the regimental crest: two crossed dead Frenchmen on a mound of dead Frenchmen motif.

[Blackadder and the Prince Regent have exchanged clothes]
Prince George: Excellent, excellent! Why, my own father wouldn’t recognise me.
Blackadder: Your own father never can – he’s mad.
Prince George: Oh yes, yes.
Blackadder: Unfortunately, sir, you do realise that I shall have to treat you like a servant?
Prince George: [sarcastically] Oh, I think I can cope with that, Blackadder.
Blackadder: And you will have to get used to calling me ‘Your Highness’, Your Highness.
Prince George: ‘Your Highness, Your Highness.’
Blackadder: No, just ‘Your Highness’, Your Highness.
Prince George: That’s what I said, ‘Your Highness, Your Highness’, Your Highness, Your Highness.
Blackadder: Yes, let’s just leave that for now, shall we? Complicated stuff obviously.

Monk: Great booze-up, Edmund! [farts, leaves]
Aunt: Do you know that man?
Edmund: [looks behind himself as though he didn't really see] No...
Aunt: He called you `Edmund'...
Edmund: Oh, know him...oh, yes, I do.
Aunt: Then can you explain what he meant by `great booze-up'?
Edmund: [thinks ... ... ... thinks ... ... ... thinks ... ... ... thinks ] Yes, I can... My friend...is...a missionary...and...on his last visit abroad...brought back with him...the chief of a famous tribe... His name is Great Bu... He's been suffering from sleeping sickness...and he has obviously just woken...because, as you heard, "Great Bu's up"...
Percy: Well done, Edmund...

I also like how the show didn't take it self too seriously at times, knowing that some of the history was flawed, but as Richard Curtis says in the dvd extras, THAT'S British history to most people - most who aren't into it only remember mish-mashes from school lessons told to them by some dry toned anorak.  I also like, as you seen in some great comedies, where they're willing to toss in the lame joke and make fun of it, like when the Queen says: Oh, Sir Walter, really ... and Melchett is the only one who catches the play on words and laughs, then stops as no one else does.  Really clever insertion of a lame joke to get laughs at it being lame, not the joke itself.  Great shows and writers take those risks.

I think 'Private Plane' and 'Duel and Duality' are my favs.  I was living in the UK in '05, and Channel 5 did this 'top tear jerking' moments in television history thing, and that final scene in Goodbyee was in the top five, with all these guys talking about how you were prepped for a laughs, as usual, and then the final scene got really serious, esp. as you realised that the date was 1917.  Richard Curtis talked about choosing that ending, taking a risk, but then loving it, with the poppy-filled field.  Moving stuff.

Back