• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Battle of Long Tan, 18 Aug 1966 - Australians Vs Viet Cong

1feral1

Banned
Banned
Inactive
Reaction score
Well, 38yrs on, and Australians remember Long Tan today. In Army messes throughout the country, VN vets and friends are gathering, swilling down some tubes, and remembering that day, and those others who were killed, served, or suffered in the Australian commitment to the Viet Nam War. Australia from 1962-1972 sent over 50,000 troops to Viet Nam.

In a nutshell 38yrs ago, about right this very moment a small quantity of Australian soldiers were fighting a very large enemy force known as the 275 Regiment of the National Liberation Front (Viet Cong) on an unknown rubber plantation.

All though there were other battles fought with larger Australian military forces before and after Long Tan, the signifigance is that never had a battle been fought with such a small Australian force, for so long against an overwelming superior enemy force, and this proved to the VC and NVA that Australians were a tenacious and fierce fighting force not to be taken lightly. Lessons were learned by both sides.

The original canvas painting of the battle is on display at the Australian War Memorial in Canberra, ACT.

Australian casualties: 18 KIA, 24 WIA
Enemy casualties: some say several hundred KIA (offically listed at 245) and many hundred WIA

Wanna know more? try www.anzacday.org.au/history/vietnam/longtan.html. Have a good read.

Happy Long Tan Day to any old Diggers who surf this site.

Lest We Forget.

Regards,

Wes

The Long Tan Cross today at the battlefield site. If anyone chooses to visit, a permit has to be purchased, and a fee paid to put the plaque up on the cross (its even missing in this photo), as locals have removed it, and actually demand a fee to display it when a visiting party arrives. The plaque lists the men of the 1 ATF who were killed, and it was originally placed by the Australians years ago.

I guess anything for a US dollar these days. :mad:

Regards,

Wes

:salute:

I worked a few Australian helicopters when I was stationed in the Delta area.  Not many.  They mostly operated further north in 67-68.  Good bunch.  Everyone I met respected them.

Too bad things turned out the way they did, for all of us.

Jim

I watched a nice documentary on this. Good example on not to mess with a commonwealth nation :salute:

Back