• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The B52 bomber as a Maritime Patrol Aircraft

CougarKing

Army.ca Fixture
Inactive
Reaction score
Competition for the Orions and Poseidons?

Transforming the B-52 Into a Maritime Patrol Plane
Bomber gets radar pod for open-ocean search

1*DIbwe3_dXJe1SN41VhEx9Q.jpeg

The U.S. Air Force's B-52 bomber is not a natural sea hunter. Boeing designed the huge, eight-engine warplane in the 1940s for atomic raids against Soviet cities.

But today the venerable B-52 has become a powerful maritime patrol and strike plane, thanks to a long history of upgrades culminating in the recent addition of an unassuming-looking underwing pod containing a high-tech search radar.

Starting in April, the Air Force fitted an AN/ASQ-236 Dragon's Eye pod, an advanced electronically-scanned array radar built by Northrop Grumman, to a B-52H from the 93rd Bomb Squadron at Barksdale Air Force Base in Louisiana.

The Dragon's Eye AESA SAR is an effective sea-search sensor. And the dependable B-52 with its 35 tons of fuel and heavy payload is the perfect plane to carry the radar over the ocean. A bomber crew could use the SAR to scan the ocean and narrow down areas for further investigation. Flying lower, a B-52 could survey the waters in greater detail with an underslung Litening infrared targeting pod.

In other words, the B-52 is now a kick-*** maritime patrol plane. One that can also deliver more than 30 tons of weapons. Perfect for - oh, I don’t know - a future conflict with an increasingly heavily-armed China over the disputed China Seas.

Today's B-52Hs can also employ Harpoons in addition to a wide range of cruise missiles, laser- and satellite-guided bombs and unguided munitions. The Air Force is upgrading all 85 active B-52s with better communications and weapons compatibility.

They're now maritime patrol planes in their own right.

War Is Boring

No torps, no sonobuoys, no MAD.  I'll assume incredibly crappy low level cap (handling and fuel).  Not exactly what I consider a MPA.

MPA yes, ASW asset no...

Just look at the mighty Dash-8!  There are few governments who use these for Maritime Patrol, then there are those governments who think MPAs are a complete waste of money (UK). 

Regardless I think keeping the B-52 around as an MPA is a garbage idea, especially when the USAF is cutting back on other platforms, clearly the money spent on the B-52 could be better spent elsewhere.

Just a question, I'm certainly not an expert.  Isn't maritime patrol (in the United States) the responsibility of the US Navy, not the US Air Force.  Why is the USAF taking over USN duties, and with an aging aircraft not designed for that function.

Tom 

expwor said:
Just a question, I'm certainly not an expert.  Isn't maritime patrol (in the United States) the responsibility of the US Navy, not the US Air Force.  Why is the USAF taking over USN duties, and with an aging aircraft not designed for that function.

Tom

It's because of the US Militaries "swing to the pacific."  In order to keep funding the '52, and pay for upgrades, they need to make themselves more useful in that theatre.

Same reason as this http://www.navyrecognition.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1252.  Are you really going to keep a B-1 orbiting to use this capability?

As well, same reason as the USAF is trying to ensure that USN BAMS (Triton) is integrated into their Global ISR.

Its all about the money!

The fleet of B52's need to be retired.We already have the P8 for this role.

Back