• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Army and Rugby

It's not just at RMC -- rugby is played in the real military too    :whistle:

In fact, the MND got his elbow dislocated last spring playing with a CF team against the Ottawa Irish on the front lawn of Parliament Hill.

You'll have to wait until you're posted from zoomie tech school to see if your base has any rugby teams.

Pleased to hear they have rugby going on; even better Sevens (where a person of my sleek stature can get off the wing)!

Hey Guys

Anyone know of any Bases/Stations/Wings or units that have ingrained rugby programs ?

Thanks,
Halifax Tar

Hey guys,

Sorry to revive an old thread but, I am posted to CFJSR this summer (in Kingston, Ont) I was wondering if there is anyone on here that plays for the Kingston Panthers RFC ? I have a few questions. Please PM me.

So tomorrow is Exercise RUCKING RAM in 1 CMBG.  All rugby players in the Bde including 408 Sqn and 1 Fd Amb will be excused their normal duties (some people are coming back from exercise in Wainwright) and will have an opportunity to play the greatest game on earth.  Six Battalion / Regimental teams will duke it out in a double elimination 15's Tournament.  The best games will probably be 1 PPCLI vs 3 PPCLI and 1 Svc Bn vs 1 CER, but all games are sure to be competitive and hard-played.

Best of luck to all the lucky guys in 1 CMBG who get paid to play rugby!

PPCLI Guy said:
So tomorrow is Exercise RUCKING RAM in 1 CMBG.  All rugby players in the Bde including 408 Sqn and 1 Fd Amb will be excused their normal duties (some people are coming back from exercise in Wainwright) and will have an opportunity to play the greatest game on earth.  Six Battalion / Regimental teams will duke it out in a double elimination 15's Tournament.  The best games will probably be 1 PPCLI vs 3 PPCLI and 1 Svc Bn vs 1 CER, but all games are sure to be competitive and hard-played.

We have a few guys who are 'seasoned' rugby fanatics. Can I get them out there to give blood for their sport in a military context?

PPCLI Guy said:

That is great news!  Happy to hear it.  In case their are any former Tars out there we just won the NS championship and we are off to the maritimes in three weeks! 

Good luck at 1 CMBG lads!  Nice to see the game played in the CF

Halifax Tar said:
That is great news!  Happy to hear it.  In case their are any former Tars out there we just won the NS championship and we are off to the maritimes in three weeks! 

Good luck at 1 CMBG lads!  Nice to see the game played in the CF

Glad to see my old club is doing well.  Good luck at the Maritimes.

Now, if they could just sort out my son's registration, maybe he can play as well!

Pusser said:
Glad to see my old club is doing well.  Good luck at the Maritimes.

Now, if they could just sort out my son's registration, maybe he can play as well!

Pusser I didn't know you are a Tar.  We should get you on the old boys email list if your interested.  We usually enter an OBs side into the seahorse cup and have an annual golf tournament in PEI.

Halifax Tar said:
Pusser I didn't know you are a Tar.  We should get you on the old boys email list if your interested.  We usually enter an OBs side into the seahorse cup and have an annual golf tournament in PEI.

I think I am on the OBs list (at least I was).  I haven't heard anything for awhile though.  I gather the last golf tournament (Pictou?) went really well.  I would love to play in the Seahorse Cup again.  Unfortunately, Halifax is a bit too far to commute at the moment.  Luckily, I've just signed on with a "Vets" side here in the UK.

Pusser said:
I think I am on the OBs list (at least I was).  I haven't heard anything for awhile though.  I gather the last golf tournament (Pictou?) went really well.  I would love to play in the Seahorse Cup again.  Unfortunately, Halifax is a bit too far to commute at the moment.  Luckily, I've just signed on with a "Vets" side here in the UK.

Well any time you get Tars together you know its going to be a good time lol  More "whack-fuck" than actual golf played lol

If you ever find your self in Halifax again let us know we would love to have you out for a social.  By the way Rocky, Cabbage and Pedro say hi!

PPCLI Guy said:

Just to follow up on that, 1 PPCLI was victorious and took home the championship yesterday.

Just figured I would put it out there, but Rugby NS is putting together a team of club players to play two visiting Newfoundland teams (the Baymen and the Dogs) ahead of them playing the Halifax Tars and the Keltics.

If theres any guys on here, current or ex rugby players who want to get a run in, the Club side is looking for a few more players.

I thought this might be a good place to post this,

I'm currently at JSR in Kingston and I'm spearheading an effort to start a rugby team here.  One of the issues thats come up is that our PSP is advising its not an approved sport for CFB Kingston (I brought up Rugby at RMC and was advised 'they are a seperate entity with different rules')  and that there were no other CF rugby teams (Obviously not correct going from this thread).  Myself and several others have tried to find the approved sports list for CFB Kingston but no joy as of yet.

I'd very much appreciate if anyone on a team currently could give me a quick PM so that I could add known teams to my memo (or the name of one of the coordinators of the 1 CMBG event) so that our team has a better chance of being approved at the unit, as I've already compiled a large group of very interested people wishing to play. 

If anyone has pics or links to info about the "RUCKING RAM" in this thread, that will probably go a long way to helping us on our way to the pitch.

ringo598 said:

I'm currently at JSR in Kingston and I'm spearheading an effort to start a rugby team here.  One of the issues thats come up is that our PSP is advising its not an approved sport for CFB Kingston (I brought up Rugby at RMC and was advised 'they are a seperate entity with different rules')  and that there were no other CF rugby teams (Obviously not correct going from this thread).  Myself and several others have tried to find the approved sports list for CFB Kingston but no joy as of yet.

I'd very much appreciate if anyone on a team currently could give me a quick PM so that I could add known teams to my memo (or the name of one of the coordinators of the 1 CMBG event) so that our team has a better chance of being approved at the unit, as I've already compiled a large group of very interested people wishing to play. 

If anyone has pics or links to info about the "RUCKING RAM" in this thread, that will probably go a long way to helping us on our way to the pitch.

I am currently on PATA but I am with JSR.  When Im back in Jan I will give you hand.

ringo598 said:

Ex RUCKING RAM was a Brigade sports activity directed by Comd 1 CMBG.  The Base Comd in Kingston has the authority to make rugby an "approved" sport.  As far as I know, 1 CMBG did not go that route - they simply planned and executed the event.  If you need more, send me a PM.

Kat Stevens said:
nope, props are short and wide, second rowers slightly taller and less wide, #8 is a two story brick crap house.  Locks are just plain mean, fast and hard,  here endeth Introduction to Forward Pack Anatomy 101... ;D

depends on what you have. in a a team like the one I'm one( we have 20 players on our varsity team, I'm 5'10" & 165-175lbs, & I'm playing either prop or #8 this year. I'm also a good candidate for line-out lifter( the other guys are immature about being the back lifter  :p)

2 Brigade had a rugby tournament every summer I was posted there.  3 RCR, 1 RCR, RCD, 2 CER and 2RCHA/2 Svc Bn all fielded teams in the league.  It's 15-a-side as well. 

You do know that Kingston has very good rugby club right?  I've played for them before and will be playing again this summer, now that I have time to lace up the boots.

They have two full mens sides, an old boys side(35+), a womens side, U19, U16, U14 all the way down to U6 sides.  if you have no joy getting a base team started than I suggest looking to the Panthers.

Btw, we play touch every Wednesday at the field house, hope to see you there.

joning soon. said:
depends on what you have. in a a team like the one I'm one( we have 20 players on our varsity team, I'm 5'10" & 165-175lbs, & I'm playing either prop or #8 this year. I'm also a good candidate for line-out lifter( the other guys are immature about being the back lifter  :p)

And when you leave high school and get yourself on a proper mens rugby side you will be quickly switched to the back field.  Trust me, it happened to me.  I played flanker in high school and as soon as I got to university, I became a wing/fullback.  Average prop on my team was 225lbs, one of our starters was 6'0, 260lbs (he could run a 10.5 on the beep test though).  Locks were all at least 6'4 and 220+ lbs and the entire back row was over 200+ lbs.  If you aren't 200+ don't expect to see the forwards at all.

Back