• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The air cadet thread

condor888000 said:
Yeah, but hitting a rabbit with a car is more fun......

You people are weird....

Shooting a rabbit is more fun  ;D

So i think its final that im going to the ball.....now i'v got to make new sleeping arrangements....grr......

Nice, go black jack..............no I don't have a problem. Stop looking at me like that.........

*sigh*
God I hate this debate. Don't bother argueing with whoever told you this. In my experience they don't shut up. OFFICALLY, #1 West Montreal was the first. 2nd was 2 something, 3rd was 3 something, etc. The number was given in the order of the charter until we reached the high 900's and we are now reusing old numbers from sqn's that have folded. EX: New Sqn in Russell this year, 5. As well, Yoman, did you know 632 was the newest in Ottawa until 5 came around?

So technically they are not the second oldest OFFICALLY reconginized Sqn's. Now, some unit had been unoffical for years prior to April 1941 when the movement began. Example is 6 Sqn, they were founded in the mid 30's I believe. That is not their offical date, but it is the one they feel is correct. So, offically, #1 is the oldest. The highest number after that that has not folded is the second oldest. Unoffically, 6 is the oldest group of its kind in the country and I don't know any more than that. So in answer to your question, maybe. Helpful aren't I?   :p

Just read your actual question, so no, they are not the second oldest offically. They may be unoffically if there was a similar unit there before, but they are not the second oldest offically.

A good question, and a good way to get to know your Area Cadet League rep....

PV

Sloaner said:
Well, I've been lurking this site for far too long and have finally decided to sign on.   I was a cadet with 845 in Mississauga from 85 - 91 (yes I'm old).  

Hiya, I was in 845 Phoenix Sqn (Mississauga) from 82-85...I'm trying to picture someone named Sloan, the name rings a bell for sure! Maybe you had an older brother in the Sqn? I transferred to 540 Oakville for 1985-86 before going PRes & RMC.

condor888000 said:
As well, Yoman, did you know 632 was the newest in Ottawa until 5 came around?

Yes I did. Not bad for a squadron who beat the rest of the Ottawa valley eh? Did I mention we are also in the top 10 biggest squadron's in Canada? Go Taylor Trophy winners!  8)
And we aren't that new, the squadron is almost as old as I am.

Ok I am done advertising my unit

As opposed to a 64 year old beast like 51 you're younins. And 51 has still held it more than the rest of the untis combined. :p

condor888000 said:
As opposed to a 64 year old beast like 51 you're younins. And 51 has still held it more than the rest of the untis combined. :p

That's because you guys rigged it.  :p

Moving on... The entrance exam for Glider is in 2 weeks. Time to cram in some "ftgu" for the rest of my holidays... :p
Any good exam study tips?

(edited for spelling)

http://www.cadets.net/atl/rgs/courses/exam_instructions_e.asp

Left side. Bottom. Practice exams 1, 2 and 3. Used them to prep for power. Ended up with a 88% and the course. They're a useful tool. Other than that, study as much as you think is right for you. For glider, you're aiming for an 80%. People go with as low as a 68% but don't take that. Study plently of met, the light signals(always at least 1 question on that), def's (angle of attack, angle of incidence, chord, etc), nav will be limited, however, TVMDC will be on for at least one question, conversions are always a usefull thing to know as well(IE: 1.6Km/SM, SM=5280', NM=6080'). I'm not sure what else, just study everything pretty much. Best way I've found is to try to get your hands on an old copy of the exam and do it. Then see how you did. That will give you an idea of the questions and the answers expected. If you have any other questions ask, I"m sure someone here will be able to help  out.

Wow thats really useful! It looks very similar to my Sqn exam lol. Thanks condor

foxtwo said:
Wow thats really useful! It looks very similar to my Sqn exam lol. Thanks condor

I have exams from past years. If you would like some just pm me.

GINge! said:
Hiya, I was in 845 Phoenix Sqn (Mississauga) from 82-85...I'm trying to picture someone named Sloan, the name rings a bell for sure! Maybe you had an older brother in the Sqn? I transferred to 540 Oakville for 1985-86 before going PRes & RMC.

It was called 'Phoenix' at some point? Back in my time it was 'Avro Arrow'..

"Phoenix" was never an officially adopted name for the squadron.  It was always officially 845 Mississauga until the early 90's (92-93 I think) when the official name was changed to Avro Arrow.  At least this is what Sloaner is telling me as we sit in my cube.  The "Phoenix" nickname was commonly used until the official name change though, kind of represents how the squadron came into being.  Apparently a long story, can't be bothered to listen to Sloaner drone on today though.  I'll let him answer any direct questions.

That's cool. I actually went to MIssissauga's 2nd squadron - 800 Black Forest. A lot of 845 defectors jumped ship and joined the new sqn in '97.

Back