• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The air cadet thread

ITLC, learning the basics of leadership is just as, if not more important. Can't instruct if you don't have respect. Hard to get respect if you don't know how to lead.

....and also because Yoman has to be wrong. :p

Condor.... See what happens when I leave for a while?

ITIC would of been so much more usefull to me then ITL was. Everything they taught us in ITL minus a few little things I already knew. I would of much preferred spending that time practicing teaching, something that I find myself doing more of lately.

That my friend is why you have mutuals to do in level 4. ITIC is not required, ITLC can be useful if taken by the proper cadets.

Think about it, when would ITIC ideally be taken? Not before level 3, as you have none of the basics for the course as well as no need for it. After level 3 perhaps, but then you will be sitting in your level 4 IT class bored out of your mind due to the course. Not to mention that from my understanding, its pretty much level 4 IT, but in more depth. If thats the case, it makes more sense to take it post level 4, when you will be instructing. But by that point in time cadets are doing 6 weeks on course or staffing. So really, it has no point in time where it offers an effective choice.

ITLC on the other hand is wonderful for a advanced cadet to take between level 2 and 3 or a more average paced cadet to take between levels 3 and 4. A advanced cadet can take back the knowledge and help themselves advance quickly while an average cadet can use it to make that big jump from Cpl to Sgt. In my opinion, really ITL is a more useful course on the whole.

yoman said:
The officer in charge of supply in cadets came up to us and asked us what part of the uniform could be improved. All the cadets there told them that the new boots sucked and to bring back the old style. He seemed to listen to us.

Hmm...I doubt he'll be able to do much for the Cadets Yoman, as the boots are a CF issued item, these are the new style of boots that we have adopted, and thus these are the only styles available now. Unless there are stocks of the old stuff somewhere. Besides, VIBRAM soles are more comfortable then the old two piece sole IMO. Another interesting thing is the F/Cpl rank...wow...times have changed LOL. Back when I was a cadet...a LONG time ago, these things would've been unfathomable. But I guess it only makes sense to reflect the proper ranks within the Forces, as F/Cpl would be on par with the C/MCpl of the Army Cadets and something else (cant recall right now) of the Sea Cadets.

I've always felt that there was a rather large leap for Cpls when they were promoted and stuffed into a Sgts' position. Most of them werent ready. At least a F/Cpl would give them the chance to experience some leadership at a higher level prior to being given their third chevron minus tudor, and assume flight sergeant duties.

I already sit threw my level 4 classes bored out of my mind. Nothing much would change there.  ;D

Condor, you seem to know so much of the course when you haven't even done it.  ;) Out of all the stuff that I learned at ITLC, I knew about 75% of it already. For me, it would of been more advantageous to have taken ITIC.

MedTech said:
Hmm...I doubt he'll be able to do much for the Cadets Yoman, as the boots are a CF issued item, these are the new style of boots that we have adopted, and thus these are the only styles available now. Unless there are stocks of the old stuff somewhere. Besides, VIBRAM soles are more comfortable then the old two piece sole IMO.

I definitely agree that the new boots are more comfortable then the old style boots. I don't have a pair of the new boots so I can't comment too much on them. Everything I know about them is from the junior cadets telling me and me trying on a pair for a couple of minutes. 

I agree F/Cpl is a good thing. Its just most of us don't like the name. A lot of us would prefer M/Cpl. Ideally, I would rather have a rank structure identical to the CF.

yoman said:
I already sit threw my level 4 classes bored out of my mind. Nothing much would changed there.  ;D
Then your instructors aren't keeping you interested. Their fault.
yoman said:
Condor, you seem to know so much of the course when you haven't even done it.  ;)
Very true, however I did have the experience of being Flt 2IC as well as Flt Comd and observed the cadets who had taken each, as well when I was working in Trg I knew which cadets I could trust to do a class on a short time frame. Those with ITIC weren't on my list, they just didn't have the skills despite what they may have thought. I noticed that they seemed to just have a harder time overall and those who had only done IT throughout level 3 and 4 seemed to be better instructors.
yoman said:
Out of all the stuff that I learned at ITLC, I knew about 75% of it already. For me, it would of been more advantageous to have taken ITIC.
Which is why I pointed out that for the right cadet ITLC is a great course, I suppose you weren't the right cadet. As well, I'm sure for the right cadet ITIC is a great course as well, I just haven't met any of these cadets.

condor888000 said:
Then your instructors aren't keeping you interested. Their fault.

No its mine, I'm in (also in previous years) optional activities that teach me just about all the course material in level 4. Also, ITLC did help with me knowing some of the 404 stuff being taught. IE: SMEAC

condor888000 said:
Very true, however I did have the experience of being Flt 2IC as well as Flt Comd and observed the cadets who had taken each, as well when I was working in Trg I knew which cadets I could trust to do a class on a short time frame. Those with ITIC weren't on my list, they just didn't have the skills despite what they may have thought. I noticed that they seemed to just have a harder time overall and those who had only done IT throughout level 3 and 4 seemed to be better instructors. Which is why I pointed out that for the right cadet ITLC is a great course, I suppose you weren't the right cadet. As well, I'm sure for the right cadet ITIC is a great course as well, I just haven't met any of these cadets.

That's unfortunate, I know an ITIC grad who is an excellent cadet and role model.

It is great to see such discussion and information sharing amongst us as cadets. It would also be great to see that such information that we are passing along to each other is correct and factual.

There have been many discussions in regards to the Flight Corporal rank - it is interesting to see how this information has been dissiminated. One thing that must be remembered and taken into account with anything for the cadet program, as my CO says as well - is believe it when you see it! She says and cautions us all the time - since she knows we talk to each other - that Often times an idea will be pitched , however, the time that the idea is pitched and thought about, and discused ad agreed on - the original version compared to the final version may be very very different. Talking about the new rank of Flight Corporal is great - shows the enthusiasm, however, talking about whether or not current Cpl's will be grandfathered or not, this information is still unknown....and I find that the Officers at my squadron don't really know - when you ask them a question they are very tight lipped about it....

Also, a word to the caution - everything you write can be traced.....and I am sure that certain COs would find it very interesting that they are being named and mentioned that they have said something...when I am part of the same squadron and I know that they have really said nothing.

My CO has only ever said - wait and see, there will be a directive on it - and when it comes out in its final version that is when it will be announced officially.

Sorry to bust the bubble - I just don't like to see my CO being named for saying things when she has always tried to not get us excited about stuff until we see it and know the final decision....remember the band incident we had and we thought we won first...she said to not get excited until the final scores are tallied....and that they review the marks officially...and look what happened - we were crushed and came in third....

632 Phoenix-Telesat Squadron

I think that Fcpl might be a good thing. I mean, I underwent a major change in the sqn when I became a lv. 4 Sgt (from of course, a lv 3 cpl). This rank should help prepare other Cpls for the responsibilities of Sgt. This has been a very popular topic on www.cadet-world.com as well. You guys should join us over there....lots of stuff to look at! Go air cadets!

Sgt Kayla Sheppard
842 bomber RCACS
G.F.W, NL

I was on Cadet world but I never used it alot and now I forget the username

On Flight Corporal topic, I also think it is a good idea, I'm a level 4 Corporal, and I'm seeing level 2's say to me that they don't need to listen to me because they're a corporal too. (Funny how they still listen to me anyways)

So a Flight Corporal would be basically showing, that they have alot more experience at being a corporal than they do.

Well, First aid team practice was a few nights ago. And there was a loop in the rules, for ST John, the old captain can participate, but in MILITARY first aid, he cannot, puts him and i in a awkward position. Why is this possible :-\

Trakalo said:
whaa? who's the old captain? maybe osborne just wants him because he's experienced?

its Sgt Ridout, Oh my! what a technicality!

So just a quick question for you guys who are in the know.. I was in cadets a few years back before joining the reserves. This new F/Cpl rank seems like an interesting move. Are they going to delete the F/Sgt rank and convert it to the WO style badge, in keeping with making the Air Cadet rank structure more CF-current?

btw, i'm not related to the Osborne family of CIC personnel working with 848.

LordOsborne said:
Are they going to delete the F/Sgt rank and convert it to the WO style badge, in keeping with making the Air Cadet rank structure more CF-current?

HA! i wish......... ::)

(but you never know it might happen...... eventually)

LordOsborne said:
So just a quick question for you guys who are in the know.. I was in cadets a few years back before joining the reserves. This new F/Cpl rank seems like an interesting move. Are they going to delete the F/Sgt rank and convert it to the WO style badge, in keeping with making the Air Cadet rank structure more CF-current?

btw, i'm not related to the Osborne family of CIC personnel working with 848.

As far as I know, no they are not. But anything is possible.

Silly air cadets, always having to be different. ;D

Back