• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Agent Orange and Its Repercussions Thread

What is the life expectance of the dioxins and other chemicals used in Gagetown.
I was there in 1981 for RV. I was 19 then.  I slept on the ground and dug in the dirt.
I have twice been diagnosed with Hodgekins Lymphomia. As well both of my children
were born with learning disabilities and one was born with a defect of the eye which
required surgury.  I have also been diagnosed with anxiaty, depression, and some other
mental problems.  Before 81, I was a go lucky happy guy.

I am part of a class action that states anyone from 64 (I believe) to  85. If you were in Gagetown and have
certian symptoms you can apply.

Has anyone else heard of those in the early 80 being considered

As more and more information is found concerning this topic, it seems evident that the victims of the Gagetown Spraying were exposed to accumulative toxins. The spraying of chemicals in question happened during  almost every year from 1956-1984.  Accumulative means that before one toxin was handled by nature and its half-life, the same or another toxin was sprayed...

Just now, the Government is only recognizing two events during the summers of 1966 and 1967 and many of the items in the offered 'compensation package' are keeping the numbers low for those that qualify.

NL Supreme Court allows Class Action  by Gen. Ring (retired), to proceed against Canadian Government/DND for Chemical spraying in Gagetown.  I believe NL is the second province to allow a Class Action to proceed.

All those who believe they may have a medical condition that could have been as a result of training in Gagetown would be wise to join the Class Action.

On March 5, 2008 the Agent Orange Association of Canada published its official website, which can be found at http://www.agentorangecanada.com .  We hope this site will help to educate and inform anyone interested in following this tragic story.... or perhaps trying to find information concerning the compensation package... 

This story is far from over and AOAC will continue to work towards improvement in how veterans are recognized and helped. The compensation package is less than adequate and leaves many service members and civilians out but we encourage all those that do qualify to submit the application.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 100 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Instead of making a new thread I decided to post here instead, if not the right place MODS please move.

Noticed this in todays local paper.

Majority of applicants for Ottawa’s Agent Orange compensation get cheques 
The Canadian Press — Fredericton, N.B

More than 60 per cent of applicants to the federal Agent Orange compensation program in connection with spraying at a New Brunswick military base have received their cheques.
Figures released Friday by Veterans Affairs show that 3,000 applications had been received as of Jan. 12, for the ex gratia payment of $20,000.
Of those who have applied, 1,959 applications have been approved with 1,938 cheques having been issued to date.
The federal government announced a $95.6-million compensation package in the fall of 2007 for veterans and civilians affected by the U.S. military’s spraying of Agent Orange at Canadian Forces Base Gagetown during the 1960s.
Janice Summerby, a media-relations adviser with Veterans Affairs Canada, says 830 applicants did not meet the eligibility criteria.
The deadline for compensation applications is April 1.

From the comments I read about the Agent Orange payment, the $20,000 was paid to soldiers and civilians who were in Gagetown during the testing of AO by the Americans in 66/67. It is claimed that DND had been spraying the same chemicals plus other chemicals that are far worst than AO from 1956 to 1984.

Makes one wonder if soldiers from that time frame (1956 to 1984) who have medical conditions that are the direct result of the chemical spraying at Gagetown.

Dismiss Agent Orange lawsuit, N.L. court urged
Last Updated: Wednesday, September 23, 2009 | 9:00 PM NT CBC News

The federal government and two chemical companies went to court Wednesday in a bid to stop a class-action lawsuit launched by people who claim they developed cancer after being exposed to Agent Orange at Canadian Forces Base Gagetown in New Brunswick.

The suit, brought by more than 1,700 people from across the country as well as 35 from the province, was certified in the Supreme Court of Newfoundland and Labrador trial division.

On Wednesday, lawyers representing federal Attorney General Rob Nicholson, Minister of National Defence Peter Mackay , the Dow Chemical Company and the Pharmacia Corp. were in a St. John's courtroom seeking to have the certification order overturned.

nl-john-mallard-923.jpg

Retired Canadian soldier, John Mallard, says he was diagnosed with cancer because of Agent Orange at CFB Gagetown. (CBC)

The plaintiffs say they have been diagnosed with cancers including leukemia, Hodgkin's disease and non-Hodgkin's lymphoma because of their exposure to Agent Orange at Gagetown between 1956 and 2004.

"All the time I was at Gagetown was out in the field training — you're sleeping on the ground, you are eating your hard rations … you're eating with your hands, so basically your ingesting it," said retired soldier John Mallard, who is convinced his cancer stemmed from exposure to the herbicide at Gagetown."You're sleeping in it, you're burning bush to keep warm, so you're inhaling it."

Retired Brig.-Gen. Ed Ring, a Newfoundlander and another of the plaintiffs, was outraged by the bid to stop the suit.

nl-ed-ring-923.jpg

Retired Soldier, Ed Ring, of St. John's, Newfoundland, is a member of a class action suit claiming exposure to Agent Orange left him with cancer. (CBC)

"I am appalled that we have large organizations like the federal government and these chemical companies trying to deny us the opportunity to even have our case heard in court," he said.

The federal government and the companies maintain Agent Orange — a herbicide developed in the United States for use in the Vietnam war — was only one of 23 chemicals sprayed on the base, so there is no way to determine who was exposed to which chemical and for how long.

They also say there's not enough common ground among the ailments suffered by the plaintiffs to justify a class-action suit.

In September of 2007 the federal government announced a $96-million compensation package for people exposed to the herbicide at Gagetown —a $20,000 payout to anyone who qualified for it.

Members of the class-action suit refused to accept the settlement.

Hearings are scheduled to continue in St. John's Thursday.

im part of that class action lawsuit... damn them to hell...
will be phoning the merchant law group in the morming...
damn then to hell again......just had to get that off my chest
so to speak...
now back to your regular programming army.ca rocks

regards,,,
                            scoty b

No offense but did they take a family history of the complainants??  Chances are, they were predisposed to cancer but Agent Orange may have been the "accelerator". 

Scoty (aka wildman), hope you're doing okay.

PMedMoe
            thanks for the response... im doing ok... have my
good days and bad... i carry on.. the reason i contacted
merchant law group (i found out about this class action
through this website) was in regards to some health issues
after i was 3-b released...
skin disorders-chloracne
male reproductive-low sperm count(had probs making babies
during my sevice-petawawa and later after i got married and
was wondering what the hey)
neurological- headaches/weakness/dizzines/irritability/depress-
ion/insomnia/fatigue/tremors/numbness in toes and fingers/
withdrawal/
lung problems-asthma
chronic pain/suffering
all this was listed on the class action info merchant law sent me.. i bloody near freaked as i was med released 3-b 1986..
anyway if anyone else that served around my time (1975-
1986) and have similar conditions  please contact me via
army.ca msn messenger  ...
dont know whats happening with this class action ,,,last i
heard the offer for compensation was refused by the class
action (merchant law group) ...can anyone update me on this
anyway ill shut up now,,(thanks again pmedmoe) for taking
the time and caring...  :salute:
                    best regards all,,,
                        scoty b

Hi wildman....  The most up-to-date information about the Class Action, that I know of, can be found at http://www.agentorangecanada.com/classaction.php

It seems at this time, the court in Saskatewan in on hold because the Judge is spending time reading documents, which we know are many many many. We are not sure when we will hear from the Judge but the main thrust of the Class Action is being made in Saskatewan courts at this time....

Hi PMedMoe.... No, they were not interested in medical history but instead it seemed that they just wanted to compensate someone, anyone so they would be able to say they did a good thing. Every thing else has been swept under the filing cabinets...
Actually, when my husband died in May 2005, our family doctor ordered an "Agent Orange Autopsy" I was told by the pathologist that he had no idea how to accomplish the task and that there were no labs, that he knew of, that could do the tissue testing that was needed. I later found out that even our Environmental Illnesses Clinics, (we have 3, one in Halifax, one in Ottawa and one on the west coast) had no idea where the lab tests could be done....
Like many others, I am STILL looking for the TRUTH behind all this "Gagetown Toxic Chemical" story.

Thank you for your interest  *MIKsam*

pmedmoe thanks
miksam- thankyou for the update...
sorry for the slow response, my isp
was having a mixup with with my local
server... go figure,,,
hope they sort it out right (agent orange)
with members who served and all that
were exposed,,,  all we can do is wait till
it all comes outta the wash... thanks again...
                      best regards,,,
                              scoty b

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2009/12/07/12072341-sun.html
'Widows on a Warpath' demand apology, compensation

By Kathleen Harris - SUN MEDIA

OTTAWA — Seven “Widows on a Warpath” have travelled to the capital demanding an apology and more compensation for exposure to Agent Orange on CFB Gagetown.

Bette Hudson, who lost her husband in 2004 to lung and bone cancer, said the federal government’s existing compensation program is too narrow and excludes too many victims. She is calling for wider parameters for time periods and the diseases associated with exposure to the deadly defoliant.
“Our family has suffered a devastating blow with his death. I don’t know if we will ever recover because it is an emotional battering which one takes when one loses her life partner,” she said.

Hudson said the $96.5 million allotted so far will help 4,500 victims, when 400,000 could have been exposed. The widows are also demanding a full public inquiry and a minute’s silence in the House of Commons to honour Agent Orange victims.
“For us, there is always hope. We have optimism that we can move somebody to start doing something in honour of our husbands and families,” she said. “This can not go on, because this tragedy will continue for a great many generations.”

The widows will appear at a Senate committee Tuesday.

kathleen.harris@sunmedia.ca

Marlene Jennings holds News Conference on AGENT ORANGE MOTION

OTTAWA - Liberal Deputy House Leader, the Honourable Marlene Jennings, will hold a news conference to discuss her recent motion calling on the Conservative government to hold a full public inquiry for the victims of Agent Orange.

Date: December 8, 2009
Time: 11:00 a.m.
Location: National Press Theatre, 150 Wellington Street, Ottawa

WHO:
-- The Honourable Marlene Jennings, P.C., M.P.,
    Deputy House Leader for the Official Opposition and
    Liberal Critic for Democratic Reform and Government Ethics
--The Honourable Ujjal Dosanjh, P.C., M.P.
    Defence Liberal Critic for National
--Affairs Mr. Rob Oliphant, M.P.
    Liberal Critic for Veterans
--Mrs. Carol Brown Parker
    Agent Orange Association of Canada. Inc.

The National Press Theatre is only accessible to journalists accredited through the Parliamentary Press Gallery

Interesting to see the Liberals standing up so clearly for this issue now. This thread was started while they were in power and the following is taken from the first page of this thread:

By KATHLEEN HARRIS, Parliamentary Bureau
http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/OttawaSun/News/2005/05/17/1042903-sun.html

The Liberal government yesterday vowed to compensate sick and dying soldiers affected by Agent Orange, but has no plan to track down those potentially poisoned by the toxic chemical.

Under fire in the House of Commons yesterday, Veterans Affairs Minister Albina Guarnieri denied the government tried to hush-up the danger. She insisted veterans will receive disability pensions where "sufficient evidence" finds a link between their medical condition and exposure to the deadly dioxin.

"We will always go that extra mile to assist any veteran in need," she said.
Veterans Affairs has granted two pensions for afflictions related to Agent Orange, but 19 claims have been rejected since 2000. The herbicide, used by Americans during the Vietnam War to clear trees and ground cover, was tested at CFB Gagetown in 1966 and is known to cause cancer, diabetes and birth defects.

Too bad they didn't do more when they had the chance.

Albina Guarnieri

Judge halts Agent Orange class-action lawsuit
Court
ROSIE GILLINGHAM
The Telegram

A Court of Appeal has decertified a class-action lawsuit relating to Agent Orange at a former military base in New Brunswick.

More than 3,000 people from across Canada - including close to 70 from this province - were involved in a class-action lawsuit against the government and the chemical manufacturers.

They were seeking compensation for being exposed to Agent Orange.

However, a decision by Newfoundland and Labrador Court of Appeal Justice Margaret Cameron to overturn a previous ruling by a lower court means the claimants now have to file individual lawsuits.

That process would be more costly and time-consuming.

Retired Brig. Gen. Ed Ring of St. John's - who put his name forward on behalf of all the claimants in the lawsuit - was unavailable for comment Wednesday.

However, last fall, when the merits of the appeal were being argued, he told The Telegram that if those involved have to file individual lawsuits, "98 per cent of them would walk away from this, either because they can't afford it, don't have the time or are too ill."

In the fall of 2007, the federal government announced a $95.6-million compensation package for veterans and civilians who were at the base in 1966 and 1967 and were affected by the U.S. military's spraying of Agent Orange at the Gagetown base.

A one-time, lump sum payment of $20,000 each was paid to those who qualified for compensation. Roughly 4,500 people were eligible for the payment. But many believe it fell short of what the veterans and their families deserve.

In December 2007, Justice Leo Barry ruled the class-action lawsuit against the federal government would proceed in this province, as opposed to New Brunswick.

Since then, the case had been dragging through the system as the government and chemical companies file various motions and appeals.

Last fall, lawyers from both sides argued the merits of an appeal, filed by the government and the chemical manufacturers Pharmacia Corp. and Dow Chemical Group, seeking to halt the class action.

At that time, several people involved in the class action also came to court.

Their fight was all about people who were affected by the U.S. military's spraying of Agent Orange at the Canadian Forces Base Gagetown in New Brunswick.

Agent Orange - a herbicide used by the military to control vegetation and clear dense brush - was used in Gagetown between 1956 and 2004.

The powerful and toxic defoliant was proven to have caused serious long-term health effects on those who were exposed to it.

Used by the U.S. military in the Vietnam War, Agent Orange was recognized to have caused such illnesses as Hodgkin's disease, lymphoma, respiratory cancers, prostate cancer and Type 2 diabetes.

David Eaton, who represents Dow Chemical Group, had told the appeal panel that because of the large numbers involved, the diversity of the group and the specific circumstances of each, it would be difficult to deal with it as one case.

Eaton declined comment Wednesday.

Ring - who served 34 years in the military and was diagnosed with cancer in 1996 - had said they have a right to a fair hearing, despite the complexities of the case.

"This is a significant effort by large companies and the federal government to deny us that right.

"There's a common issue involved here. It's all about what happened in Gagetown."

But the appeal panel agreed with Eaton and didn't believe there was enough to establish the criteria for certification.

For example, Cameron noted that the class may have been too broad, and that it is difficult to narrow its scope.

One issue she had was with the wording of the class: it's defined as "all individuals who were at CFB Gagetown between 1956 and the present and who claim they were exposed to dangerous levels of dioxin or hexachlorobenzene while on the base."

"While various numbers have been used to estimate the potential size of the class," Cameron pointed out, "it is generally agreed that it is in excess of 400,000 people and, thus defined, includes everyone who was at CFB Gagetown, for any period of time, between 1956 and the present, whether exposed to herbicides or not.

"It lacks the rational connection to the causes of action and common issues identified by the plaintiffs. Given the pattern of spraying, its time frame and size of the base, not every one of the 400,000 plus potential claimants in fact have a claim."

She said as it's worded, it "limits class members to those who 'claim they were exposed' rather than those who 'were exposed.'"

Cameron also questioned real common issue in the class.

"The trial division judge did not address the question of whether the (primary) common issue is a common issue for the whole of the class or a series of common issues to be determined for various subclasses," Cameron said.

"Unless the relationship between various chemicals and all types of lymphomas is the same, the determination will have to be made for each type of lymphoma."

The lack of criteria for certification in this case, Cameron said, "undermines the trial division judge's decision that a class action is the preferable procedure."

rgillingham@thetelegram.com

she did what???????????
unfu****G believeable
does she realize what she just did...???????????
jumping jesus-h Cr***........
end rant(mods-please modify (thanks)
now im gonna have to open the bar(fridge door)
drink copious amounts of milk(fortified with same
amout of vodka) get properly snokered and send
this woman an e-mail...... having said that if you
dont hear from me in a while ill probably be
spending some time in the crow-bar hotel..........
now if youll excuse me im feeling real thirsty......
i bloody rest my case.......hic
best regards (send smokes and booze thanks)
cheers mates and april fools ya bums
        scoty b

sorry forgot to insert last
am taking ms bit**(the judge to task)
have contacted my laywer (no duff)
any help would be appreciated...
i say again this is a no-duff
thanks again mates appreciated
            scoty b

This from a VAC media advisory:
The Honourable Jean-Pierre Blackburn, Minister of Veterans Affairs and Minister of State (Agriculture), along with the Honourable Keith Ashfield, Minister of National Revenue, Minister of the Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency and Minister for the Atlantic Gateway, will announce important changes to the Agent Orange ex gratia payment.

In September 2007, the Government of Canada announced a one-time, tax-free ex gratia payment of $20,000 related to the testing of unregistered U.S. military herbicides, including Agent Orange, at Canadian Forces Base Gagetown in New Brunswick during the summers of 1966 and 1967.
  199 Queen St, Fredericton, New Brunswick

Date: Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Time: 1:00 p.m. ....
Hmm, maybe an extension?  The only reason I guess this is because of the big print at the top of this page
http://www.veterans.gc.ca/clients/sub.cfm?source=services/pensions/orange
as of this posting (screen capture attached):
.... Veterans Affairs Canada does not have the authority to make payments after October 1, 2010.

The deadline for applications was April 1, 2009 ....

Are they just waiting till 90% are dead so then they can save money? What is taking so long? They already admitted it was their fault. 20 k will cover a funeral and a few credit card bills. This is SOP for VAC. Give a little, promise a lot and then bring out the "Living Charter" we're working on it press release. Banana republic, penny pinching bull$%!t is what I call it.

This crap was used in a few fields up in Pet as well wasn't it? Maybe just a rumour. What about them?

Back