• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Thanksgiving Recipe Contest

big bad john

Banned
Banned
Inactive
Reaction score
O.K. Thanksgiving is coming up very soon and I need some recipes.  Plus the Recipes thread is just slowing down and it shouldn't.  I'm trying to get Canadianized here folks.  So lets have somethings that go for the up coming holiday.  We'll give the winner a bottle of Crown Royal (it being Canadian) or the whisky of his or her choice for the BEST RECIPE!  All decisions final.  Contest ends Friday 6 October 2006.  Any disputes to be settled by the Mods. 

As a bonus I will contribute $2.00 per recipe posted here (no cut and paste) to the RCR Hospital Kit Bag Fund.  If we get a minimum of 25 recipe's, I will make it a full $100.00 to the fund in the contests name.  Let's have at her!

You looking for full thanksgiving meals with all the fixing's or just dishes in particular?
I make a mean blueberry grunt!

Hello..........the Mrs. likes to make this variation of squash

Peel and cook squash.  Drain and mash.  Mix in some butter and add a good dollop of maple syrup.  She also adds some freshly grated nutmeg.    (Amounts depend on the amount of squash cooked).  She makes this ahead and puts it in a casserole dish to be heated right before serving.

Our menu for Thanksgiving is this: (recipes to follow)

Cocktail hour: Martinis served with stuffed smoked salmon appetizers

First Course:  Roasted Garlic Creme Soup with Chipatti bread and dipping oil (wine served: Penfold's Bin 28)

Second Course: Green Salad with Strawberries and Blue Onions with a Raspberry wine dressing (Wine served: Wolfblass Shiraz - haven't decided the vintage yet)

Third Course: Lobster and Tomato Spicy sauce served over Angel hair pasta done in herbs and olive oil ((Wine served: Wolfblass Riesling)

Palate cleanser: Lemon sherbert

Main Course: Roast Turkey (marinaded in tea) with sage and juniper berry stuffing, twice baked potatoes, carmelized sweet potatoes, steamed mixed veggies, served with a reduced wine gravy. (Wine Served: Wolfblass Chardonnay)

Dessert: Lemon Cheescake with Lime Creme Fraiche, Chocolate mousse or  Wild Blueberry Creme Brulee with Cinnamon crusts. (Wine served: Dessert Ice wine)

Coffee, tea with Canadian cheese tray.

Sorry John, I figure this is worth at least one wounded kit...;)

Roasted Garlic Soup

1 whole head of garlic - peeled
1 onion diced
1 tbsp olive oil
4 cups chicken stock
1 cup 35% cream (that would be whipping creme)
2 cups diced, peeled potatoes
1/2 cup white wine

coarse salt and ground black pepper

Pre heat oven to 400F (200 c) Rub garlic and onion with oil, and wrap in tin foil. Roast for 45 mins. Let cool.

Place roasted garlic and onion in stock, creme and potatoes in a large saucepan and cook over a medium heat until potatoes are tender. Let cool slightly, place in a food processor and puree.  Return to saucepan and simmer (DO NOT BOIL!!). Add salt and pepper to taste.  (serves 4-6)

Drink wine while cooking.

Stuffed Salmon

3-4 fillets of smoked salmon - thinly sliced
1 cup creme cheese
1/2 cup fresh parsley
1/2 cup fresh cilantro
1/2 cup fresh dill
Juice from 1/2 lemon

Finely chop herbs and set aside.  In a bowl, cream the creme cheese and add the lemon juice, herbs. Creme until smooth.  Lay out the salmon fillets and scoop creme cheese mixture onto fillet.  Roll fillet up.
Chill for 2 hours.  Slice on the diagonal and serve with crackers. 

Garvin's Gravy so Simple a Grunt could do it:

Once your main turkey has been roasted, remove bird from pan.

Pour drippings into container.  Keep brown matter in roasting pan (don't remove)

Scim 2 Tablespoons of fat off the top and place in a bowl.

Remove and discard remainder of fat.  Ensure that you have 2 cups of liquid.  Add water or stock to bring up to 2 cups.

Add 2 Tablespoons of flour to the 2 tablespoons of fat, and mix together.

Place this into the roasting pan with the brown matter

Heat and stir and mix such that the paste is brown and bubbling.

SLOWLY add the 2 cups of liquid and stir constantly.

Bring to a boil.  Boil and stir for one minute

Voila!  Gravy that even a Strathcona could love!  ;D

Enjoy!

Spicy Lobster Sauce on Angel Hair

Sauce:

6 tbsp of olive oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 stalk of celery, finely chopped
1 small red pepper, seeded and finely chopped
1/2 cup red wine
1 tbsp of red wine vinegar
1x 14 oz can of plum tomatoes - chopped in their juice
salt and fresh ground pepper
2 lbs fresh lobster meat
2-3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
3 tbsp of fresh chopped parsley
1 piece dried chili, crumbled or chopped

1. In a heavy skillet, heat half the oil, add onion and cook over low heat until soft.  Stir in celery, pepper and cook for 5 mins. raise the heat to medium high and add wine, vinegar and tomatoes. season with salt and pepper. Bring to boil anf cook for approx 5 mins.

2. Lower the heat, cover and simer until veggies are soft (about 30 mins). Let cool slightly and then puree in food processor.  

3. Coarse chop the lobster meat.

4. Heat the remaining oil in a clean skillet. Stir in garlic, parsely and chili. Cook over a moderate heat, stirring constantly until garlic is golden (don't let the garlic brown it'll get bitter tasting). Add in tomato sauce and bring to boil.  

5. Stir in the lobster. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat slightly and simmer until lobster is firm (approx 4-6 mns). Remove from skillet and serve over pasta.

Pasta with herbs and oil.

3/4 cup fresh basil leaves
3-4 cloves of garlic, peeled
3 tsp pine nuts
1/2 tsp salt
5 tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
4 tsp freshly grated pecorino cheese
fresh ground pepper to taste
8-10 nests of angel hair pasta

1. place basil, garlic, pine nuts, salt and olive oil in a blender or food processor and process until smooth.  
2. Remove from bowl and stir in cheeses.
3. Cook pasta in a large pan of rapidly boiling water until it's AL DENTE.  Just before draining take 4 tbsp of the cooking water and add to sauce.  
4. Drain pasta and toss with sauce, serve immediately. (serves 5-6)  

Strawberry and Blue Onion Salad and Raspberry Wine dressing:

Mixed Greens

I usually use romaine, endives, bokchoy, and baby spinach (although spinach is at a preminum now with the recent e coli contam)

1/2 pint of strawberries, washed, and sliced
1 large blue onion, peeled and thinly sliced

Dressing

1/2 cup AND 2 tbsp of EEV olive oil (that would be extra extra virgin)
4 tsp of raspberry juice
1 tbsp of red wine vinegar
1 tsp Djion mustard
Whisk ingredients together in a bowl, or shake in a jar, chill and pour over salad just beofre serving.

(makes 3/4 cups)

Tea marinade for turkey

1/4 cup dried black tea
1/2 cup boiling water
zest and juice of 1 orange
1/2 cup of soy sauce
1/4 cup of brown sugar
5 tsp of roasted Szechaun peppercorns
8 scallions cut into 1 inch lengths
1  2-inch stick of cinnamon
1 2-inch piece of fresh ginger, thinly sliced
coarse salt

One thawed or fresh turkey

Brew tea in boiling water, then cool. In a roasting pan, mix tea tgether with ingredients. Place turkey in pan and marinade overnight. Remove marinade and cook turkey in a preheated oven at 350F until done.  Use marinade to bast turkey with.

Stuffing:

3 large onions chopped
1 package sausage meat - cooked
1 turkey liver finely chopped
3 tsp of olive oil
2 sprigs of fresh sage
3 shallots chopped
1 bay leaf
2 lemon quarters plus 1 tsp of juice
2 tsp of juniper berries crushed
salt and pepper to taste
4 thin slices of bacon or pancetta chopped
6 tbsp dry white wine
2 tsp brandy

In a skillet, sautee the onions and shallots in oil, add sausage meat, liver and bacon, add sage, bay leaf , berries and cook until tender.  Add liquids and bring to boil for 5 mins.  Reduce heat, remove from pan and stuff turkey. 

Twice baked Potatoes

4-6 large jacketed potatoes
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 cup 35% creme
2 tbsp butter
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (the older in age the better)
1/2 cup mayonnaise
salt and pepper to taste

Bake potatoes in the oven in their jackets until tender, (350F).  Remove from oven and open jackets and remove potato meat. Place meat into a large bowl and set the jackets aside. 

In a large bowl, creme together, creme, potatoes, onions, garlic, mayonnaise and butter.  When smooth, scoop back into jackets.  Cover with shredded cheese and bake in oven at 350F for approx 30 mins. In the last 2 mins, place under grill and brown the tops of the potatoes.  Serve.   

24 Alexander Keith's India Pale Ale
Funnel
Bib
Advil

Great combination for any long weekend.

Hey, it's his birthday tomorrow, 211!

Reduced wine sauce

1 1/2 cups dry white wine
1 medium onion cut in half
6 cloves
2 cups 35% creme
2 cloves of garlic
2 bay leaves
2 tbsp prepared horseradish

Heat wine in a pan over medium heat and reduce to 4 tablespoons, set aside.
Stud the onion with cloves and place in a pot with creme, garlic and bay leaves. heat over a medium-high heat until creme is reduced to 3/4 cup.  Strain out onion, garlic and leaves. Add reduced wine and stir in horseradish.  Pour warm sauce over turkey.  

Ok last one...

Lemon Cheesecake with Lime creme Fraiche

Lime creme fraiche

1 1/2 cups 35 % creme
1 1/2 cups of sour creme
juice and zest of 3 limes
2 tsp sugar

In a bowl, blend together the creme and sour creme with a hand blender.  Cover with a clean tea towel and let stand at room temp overnight.  Next day, line a sieve with a clean cheesecloth and over a large bowl pour the mixture into the seive and let drip for 12 hours.  Discard liquid that has drained off.  Stir in lime and zest with sugar and refridgerate. 

Cheescake

2 tbsp of butter melted
3/4 cups graham cracker crumbs
3/4 tsp icing sugar
1 1/2 pounds  creme cheese - room temp
1 cup granulated sugar
4 eggs separated
juice and zest of 2 lemons

Preheat oven to 450F Line bottom and sides of 9 inch springpan with parchment paper.

In a large bowl, combine butter, graham cracker and icing sugar. Press into bottom of pan. 
In a mixing bowl, cream together cream chesse, and 3/4 cup of sugar until smooth and light.  Beat in  egg yolks, lemon juice and lemon zest together. 

In a separate bowl, whip the egg whites with remaining sugar until soft peaks are formed.  Fold eggs into cheese mixture, Pour into preapred pan. 

Bake for 10 minsthen reduce oven heat to 250F and bake for 1 hour.  Turn off oven and slightly open the door. Let cheesecake stand in the warm oven for 1 hour.  (this keeps it from cracking) Remove and let cool competely.  Unmold and chill, serve garnished with a dollop of lime creme fraiche.

1. Get in Car
2. Drive 900km to Mom's house
3. Eat yummy Turkey, Ham, stuffing, potatoes, corn, pumpkin, peach & applie pie, buns.. and so on.
4. Do dishes for Mom
5. Sleep
6. Get back in Car, drive 900km home.

;D Is it Friday yet???

OK here is a few of my fav's

Crab Salad

2 cups lettuce chopped up
1/2 cup Cucumber diced
1/2 cup Celery diced
2 Green onions sliced
1 tin of Crab or fresh 4-5 ounces
1 cup Baby Shrimp

1/2 cup Mayo
1 Tbsp Ketchup
1 Tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 Tsp Lemon Juice
1/2 Tsp Salt
1/4 Tsp Pepper

Combine first 5 in a bowl. In another bowl mix mayo and ketchup add worcestershire lemon juice,salt and pepper. Add dressing to crab and shrimp mixture and serve cold.

Ham Glaze

1/2 Tsp dry mustard
1/2 Cup brown sugar
2 Tbsp Orange juice
Warm orange juice in microwave mix in mustard and brown sugar. Spoon over ham during last 1/2 hour of cooking time.

Harvest Apple Pie
Folks I have to admit I cheat I buy frozen pie crust.

Filling
1 egg
1 cup sour cream
3/4 cup sugar
2 Tbsp flour
1 Tsp cinnamon
3 cups peeled and sliced Mac apples

Topping
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup butter

1 9 inch unbaked pie crust

Mix together egg, sour cream,sugar 2 tbsp flour and cinnamon. Add apples and pour into pie shell.
In another small bowl combine topping ingredients until they are crumbly. Sprinkle over apple mixture. Bake @ 450 for ten minutes reduce over temp to 350 let bake for another 35 minutes till filling is set. Let stand for about 5-10 minutes before serving.

couldn't resist this....hehehe  ;D

PREGNANT TURKEY STORY
One year at Thanksgiving, my mom went to my sister's house for the traditional feast. Knowing how gullible my sister is, my
mom decided to play a trick. She told my sister that she needed something from the store.  When my sister left, my mom took the
turkey out of the oven, removed the stuffing, stuffed a Cornish hen, and inserted it into the turkey, and re-stuffed the turkey.
She then placed the bird(s) back in the oven.

When it was time for dinner, my sister pulled the turkey out of the oven and proceeded to remove the stuffing. When her serving
spoon hit something, she reached in and pulled out the little bird.  With a look of total shock on her face, my mother
exclaimed,  "Patricia, you've cooked a pregnant bird!"  At the reality of this horrifying news, my sister started to cry.

It took the family two hours to convince her that turkeys lay eggs!

Yep..................SHE'S BLONDE!

Back