• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

term of service

puckhead

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi Folks - I have searched and can not find some very basic information.  In the officer world I have read that there is a factor of years of education X by a number which gives you the number of years that you are required to serve.  How about for NCM?  If I join a trade and get an "offer I can't refuse" in the civy world, can I just quit the military??

Any info would be great.

Cheers

Good day,

When you join the Regular Force, you are expected to sign on for several years of service.  The CF offers terms of service (also called engagements) of differing lengths. If you are found suitable and offered employment the first engagement you will receive is called a Variable Initial Engagement (VIE). 

The length of a VIE varies depending upon the operational requirements of each occupation and the training time required for an individual to become fully employable.  VIEs range in length from three to eleven years, however, officers enrolled under subsidized education plans can receive a VIE up to 13 years to cover academic training. 

If you are selected for employment with the CF you will be presented a job offer.  You will be given an adequate amount of time to decide to accept or decline the offer.  If you accept the offer you will be expected to report for basic training.  Effective 1 April 2009, no requests for voluntary release (VR) will be granted to candidates undergoing basic training during the first five (5) weeks of training.

The training environment at the CF Leadership and Recruit School (CFLRS) can be daunting for many new enrolees who may be far from home or may be away for an extended period of time.  An analysis of the available information indicates that after five weeks of basic training and confinement to barracks, the probability of success in graduating from basic training is very high.  This new policy will allow recruits and officer candidates to remain with their platoon and be given more time to adjust to their new surroundings.  The Commandant of CFLRS will have the discretion to process a VR request at any time should circumstances justify doing so.

If you graduate from basic training and then wish to release at a later date the CF may consider your request prior to completion of a term of service but is not bound to grant it if operational requirements dictate otherwise.

Back