• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

team building suggestions

korgano

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm looking for suggestions on how to improve the team mentality, to make things more like a family. Maybe through an exercise, or just general practice.

Any help would be apreciated. thanks.

A few suggestions. Before I start, I do not believe in the "faddy" team-building beloved of some civilian organizations. To me it is something that will take time if it is to be meaningful, so  my suggestions are not "one-shot quick fixes".

a) start with your leaderhip, so you're not building the team by yourself. Show your subordinate leaders that you will listen to them and actually consider what they have to say. You don't have to agree with everything they say, but when you don't you should be able to show in a rational way why you don't;

b) give credit to other people's work and ideas-don't be afraid to stand aside to let a Private or junior officer be praised for a great idea;

c) be a shyte umbrella for your people-don't take your superiors' hissy fits out on your troops;

d) never demand respect-earn it. This is one of the hardest lessons for team leaders, but if you can do it you will be surprised at the effect it will have;

e) demand a high standard when it's required, but let folks off the leash whenever you can. If you have to keep people working till midnight: fine, but if you can let them go at 14:00, that's fine too;

f) give subordinates a chance to be in charge of things-this shows trust, improves the image of the subordinate, and may reveal qualities that you never knew the person had; and

g) encourage honesty, no matter how painful it is. Painful truth is often more use than pleasant BS.

Cheers.

It's difficult to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear - if your organisation hasn't selected team players, it'll be quite challenging to convert them ...

However, in lieu of thorough research into the ethos of leadership and esprit de corps, there are a few simple tricks of the trade.

When it comes time for recreation or social activities, team sports/activities can be encouraged (i.e. it's fine and dandy for an organisation to encourage people to run in marathons, however it's not necessarily going to do much for the rest of the team - sure, perhaps the organisation benefits by having their name mentioned in the media, but the rest of the group are usually left out of the spotlight).

And, teams need leaders - the upper echelon of the organisation needs to set the example.

However, it's difficult to make too many suggestions without knowing more about your organisation - thus, one recommendation is to listen to the members - sometimes they'll have excellent suggestions (after all, they're already part of the team ... whether they know it or not!)

Good luck!

By successfully obtaining the goal of any operation, usually the team will be left with a certain sense of "family" through their accomplishment.   However, I've known of some evolutions, in which the team wasn't successful, but they left with the same "family" spirit.

Ultimately, and if you paraphrase both posts by bossi and pbi, it comes down to Leadership, and the Principles of such.   I'm sure you're aware of the 10 Principles of Leadership, and if not, let me know and I'll gladly post them.  

In my opinion, you are already on the road to success, as you are obviously open to suggestions.   Hopefully, fellow posters will offer you plenty of helpful ways in which to apply the Principles of Leadership, through some types of team building exercises.    

Good Luck
CHIMO!

this will help, it's given me a few things to work towards. I also dont beleive in the "team building" civie corporation style, that's not the way to fake teamwork.

I guess what I am really looking is suggestions for a junior leader. I am at the bottom rung of leadership and would like to know what I can do. I've been told and have told others that old saying "dont like the way things are going? then become a leader and change things for the better". Now being a junior leader myself, what should/could I be doing to make things run better?

thanks

If you want to build a team get involved in some small party tasks.  These tasks are challenges that allow team members to think out of the box, recce, plan using an Orders group, execute and supervise.

These tasks can be anything.  I used to build patrol leader skills by getting them to get their patrol up to the second floor of the balcony without using stairs, or improvise a block and tackle to lift an Iltis to change a tire, retrieve a body in a parachute from a tree, organize a pistol shoot for the unit.  Rig a rope across a chasim and have the soldiers shinny across.  Extract a person from a roll over and give first aid. 

This builds the confidence of junior leaders and really can get competitive when you introduce time factors or other teams.  Like I said you are only limited by your ability to think up challenging tasks that practice military skills.  You can stay clear of all that "new Age " crap and really challenge your leaders and team members and nothing builds moral like physical and mental challenges.

BG

Hey bgreen how's it going? Cheers.

For myself, it all starts with PT. As you are all aware, people are at different standards of physical conditioning. Well, Regimental PT isn't going to make superstar athletes out of anyone but that is okay. If people want to get fit, they can do PT on there own, before or after work. There should be no stragglers during a PT period. Mbrs who struggle or who fall out, but don't quit, should be picked up and encouraged by there peers. No quitters, well that is another story...........

There are many team building exercises that can be done. Have your sections plan training......this forces all members to participate.

CHIMO!!!!!!!!!!!

For all you guys out there who know anything about RMC, all I can say is FYOP. Made me closer to the people in my flight than I ever thought possible.

Small party tasks are great "team builders", as are "tactical walks" (I doubt Staff Rides would go over well these days). Pose a question and encourage all the junior members to contribute to the answer/solution.

Show you care. My troop once showed up at a member's "Q" when a window was broken and CE told him it would take a week to come around to fix it. (This was a big concern since a; he had small children and, b; it is pretty cold in Calgary during the winter). It took most of the day, but we figured out how to replace a window, and everyone came out a somewhat better person.

Be supportive. If you are stuck with the guy who is only good for sweeping the hanger, at least stick up for him, and let him know you apprieciate his work.

Never tell your troopies to do something you would not do yourself! and, of course, leading by example will go along way to earning their respect. Even if they don't like each other, chances are that they'll work together for your sake!

Slim :warstory:

Back