• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Taste Is On The Agenda For Military Meals Ready To Eat

Now that you mention it, I also remember butter in tubes as well, but I certainly remember the "glass in the cheese in the tubes" quarantines (or at least that's what the rumour mill said, anyway)....

Blackadder1916 said:
Maybe I ate too many meals from the mess tins, but wasn't it butter in the green toothpaste tube and the cheese (Australian, no less) was in little flat green tins that you opened with the P-38.  When the temperature was elevated, the butter poured out of the tube.

Butter, cheese, jam and peanut butter all went to the tubes eventually.  ;)

milnewstbay said:
Now that you mention it, I also remember butter in tubes as well, but I certainly remember the "glass in the cheese in the tubes" quarantines (or at least that's what the rumour mill said, anyway)....

Ahhh, the glass one ... yep - circa 96 that particular quarantine occured, a couple of lot #s were involved with that one; damn you're old.  >:D

Bob Terwilliger said:
"Dairy Spread"

LOL. Although I'm not sure it would scientifically meet the standards of truly being classified as "dairy".  :)

ArmyVern said:
Ahhh, the glass one ... yep - circa 96 that particular quarantine occured, a couple of lot #s were involved with that one

Could that have been 86 (I was only in between '78 and '89)?

ArmyVern said:
damn you're old.  >:D

True, but I'm also as young as I'm ever gonna be right this second, right?  ;D

ArmyVern said:
LOL. Although I'm not sure it would scientifically meet the standards of truly being classified as "dairy".  :)

Every now and then on the airplane, we get something marked "Gel-type desert"  :-X

The canned Cross and Blackwell chocolate walnut cake in the old IMPs was awesome, I've seen fights started over a pilfered one.

We got the Cross and Blackwell canned cake as an arctic ration supplement. Damned good, puncture the top, put it in the pressure cooker for a bit, now thats good eatin'!

Bob Terwilliger said:
We got the Cross and Blackwell canned cake as an arctic ration supplement. Damned good, puncture the top, put it in the pressure cooker for a bit, now thats good eatin'!

I've heard the current equivalent is the apples in caramel sauce.  Heated up it's darn good.

Back