• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

tankless watwer heater

OLD F of S

Inactive
Reaction score
  Has anyone any experience with this type of heater, I am considering buying one but would like some real input rather than the slick adverts. 

Regards OLD F of S

Are you talking about the in-line heater? I have a buddy here in Calgary that has one, and from his experiences.... well, I would go with a tanked heater. He so far has had it break down twice in 6 months, and while it was out getting fixed, he had to have ice cold showers and no hot water other than what he boiled for ~4 weeks of those 6 months. Tank heaters are proven and work, so that's what I would suggest, but I ONLY know what my buddy has experienced. He otherwise says that they're good, but if you have the hot water turned on at too many points or too high a flow rate, you can start to lose heat.

Excellent systems, most have excellent engineering behind them.  Are more fuel efficient and thus less costly to run. 
The bugaboo is that most techs are not specifically trained on them, and those that are generally see very few and have little experience. 
They are a small market system - making parts expensive and frequently a long wait time.
Have limits to hot water production, like all hot water heaters, but no tank to act as a buffer if demand for water exceeds supply, thus creating warm water.
It's a good system, a good contractor WILL perform a calculation to figure out how big a burner is needed to supply hot water at peak load, and size the system accordingly.  A good contractor will install the system right the first time, and have worked on these before and stock replacement parts.  Many good contractors don't install these, simply due to low demand. Set up this way you will save money.  If any of these parts are missing, skip the tankless, spend a bit more on energy, but save the hassles.

TR23

Back