• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

tankers personal weapons and 9 mm vs 5.7 mm

jordan22

Inactive
Reaction score
what do the tankers have for personal weapons? Is it the C7??? cuz i heard from someone that they also have 9mm SMG's

Someone told you a falsehood (lie).  Tankers used to carry SMGs and pistols as their personal weapons, but when the C7/C8 came into service, they replaced all the FN C1s and SMGs.  Now they will carry a C8 or Pistol (most often the C8).

A esky full of cold drinks and a gas cooker also help armoured blokes get out of sticky situations. Nothing handier then giving infantry guys hot water, a jaffle and a cold soft drink (pop i think you call it) to keep them happy.

Drivers and Commanders have C8 with 9mm pistol and loader and gunner get just a C8.

Hale said:
A esky full of cold drinks and a gas cooker also help armoured blokes get out of sticky situations. Nothing handier then giving infantry guys hot water, a jaffle and a cold soft drink (pop i think you call it) to keep them happy.

Maybe 10 years ago here.Now we got young guys playing playstation drinking cold pop in their LAV 3's.While we were out pounding tracks.

The kids today ExRCAC, they dont know how lucky they are!  :warstory: When i was driving 113's i had to get up at 4 in the morning, change every piece of track, make tea, do a battle run, make lunch for the Regiment, go on piquet, then my crew commander would beat me to death before i went to bed to 0430 which is half an hour after i had to get up. But you tell that to the youth today and they wont believe you. :mad:

Joking aside, i do feel your pain. I finished on carriers last year (re-role). People dont realise how much work went into them. Pounding track...i grew arms purely from pounding track. That was the one good thing that came out of it. Well, that and not dying after losing control.

Theres plenty of threads on the old gats i see. Interesting to read about it. We've an F1 in our armoury, not a C1 granted but still good if your after the LCF. Not so good if old mate is shooting at you from over 100m though i suppose.

Hale said:
The kids today ExRCAC, they dont know how lucky they are!  :warstory: When i was driving 113's i had to get up at 4 in the morning, change every piece of track, make tea, do a battle run, make lunch for the Regiment, go on piquet, then my crew commander would beat me to death before i went to bed to 0430 which is half an hour after i had to get up. But you tell that to the youth today and they wont believe you. :mad:

And of course you did it all for 120 dollars a month.(although they never mention rent was 4 dollars a year and you could get a movie,popcorn and drink for a shiny nickle  ;))

Hale said:
Joking aside, i do feel your pain. I finished on carriers last year (re-role). People dont realise how much work went into them. Pounding track...i grew arms purely from pounding track. That was the one good thing that came out of it. Well, that and not dying after losing control.
No pain!
Its all about LCF ;)

All joking around aside,nice to see the pistol has become a WEAPON and not a sign of authority anymore.

RecceByForce said:
Drivers and Commanders have C8 with 9mm pistol and loader and gunner get just a C8.
For now.  The future might be 5.7 mm pistol & 5.7 mm PDW.

http://www.remtek.com/arms/fn/57/index.htm
http://www.remtek.com/arms/fn/p90/data/concept.htm (personally, I'd be uncomfortable with the fore grip on this wpn)

RecceByForce said:

This is the ideal, but may not be the norm.  Everything will depend on the type and amount of weapons that the Unit will hold. 

MCG said:

http://www.remtek.com/arms/fn/p90/data/concept.htm (personally, I'd be uncomfortable with the fore grip on this wpn)

Sources?

MCG said:

The claims of penetration from those rounds are a bit on the scary side.....that is a lot of Kevlar that is being penetrated, and I would hate to see those weapons in the hands of any opposing force.

I suppose we can all see it happening. This thread is sliding into the fields of others (unless exRCAC and i can keep it totally irrelevent!) but, the theory behind giving crew member SMG's is, i think still very sound. If a vehicle brews up, the crew will want to just blat off rounds and fall back to where they'r protected by others. Having an SMG does that better then a C8 does. At least that's what i think. I'd be very jealous if you guys got issued the P90. Its small, combact and perfect for armoured crews. I'm a tiny bit sceptical of the armour piercing specs but hey, it looks awesome and would do a VERY good job of making the crews feel protected and warry.
...and lets not forget the LCF, the most important feature for us young blokes. 8)

Hale,
I believe the reason we use the C8 and not a SMG any more is because you could use it effectively (for the most part) up to 300m where an SMG would fall short, I like that idea, as I would rather try to hit someone at 300m rather than up close. Mind you, the way I shoot they would all have to be up close!!
Don't get me wrong, some SMG's are nice and I have seen pics of the P90 but I have no idea about the specs, so if it could hit targets at a range, then sign me up! I too like the LCF!

Hale said:
I suppose we can all see it happening. This thread is sliding into the fields of others (unless exRCAC and i can keep it totally irrelevent!) but, the theory behind giving crew member SMG's is, i think still very sound. If a vehicle brews up, the crew will want to just blat off rounds and fall back to where they'r protected by others. Having an SMG does that better then a C8 does. At least that's what i think. I'd be very jealous if you guys got issued the P90. Its small, combact and perfect for armoured crews. I'm a tiny bit sceptical of the armour piercing specs but hey, it looks awesome and would do a VERY good job of making the crews feel protected and warry.
...and lets not forget the LCF, the most important feature for us young blokes. 8)
I have it on good authority from contacts in the U.S. Military(Marine Recon) and a few ex- U.S. Navy Seals that the P90 is a useless piece of crap, fit for nothing but law enforcement roles.

Cheerz
Paul

Dodger1967 said:
I have it on good authority from contacts in the U.S. Military(Marine Recon) and a few ex- U.S. Navy Seals that the P90 is a useless piece of crap, fit for nothing but law enforcement roles.
Any coherent reasons that they don't like it?  Maybe they were using it for the wrong purposes.

MCG said:
Any coherent reasons that they don't like it?  Maybe they were using it for the wrong purposes.

I think its mostly about the wounding potential of the 5.7mm round.  The fact that it will poke a hole the size of pencil in a lot of stuff including armour is nice.  Of course it will also only poke a pencil sized hole in people.  Very little production of cavities, temporary or permanent.  I believe I6 has some more information on it.

Just spoke with the guy testing it.  No fragmentation.

Back