• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Tan berets and other CANSOFCOM, JTF, and CSOR fashions [1st split: CSOR]

Who came up with these idea that the CSOR will be wearing tan berets?

its the standard color worn by special ops forces in the commonwealth, namely British and Australian forces.

I ask again, where did you all get the idea the CSOR was going to wear tan berets?

For "Short Final", there really is no "standard" anything for Commonwealth militaries.  22 SAS does wear a tan beret, which was copied by the SASR in Aus.  This hardly makes it standard.

I believe is states somewhere on DND (this is where I read it) that CSOR was going to be issued tan berets. I think they stick to the maroon beret for traditions' sake, but thats a minor issue.

Again, does anyone know anything about the role of the SF Coy in CSOR?

thanks

bick said:
I ask again, where did you all get the idea the CSOR was going to wear tan berets?
Listen to the video back on page 13 or 14. It's mentioned.

Scott57 said:
Listen to the video back on page 13 or 14. It's mentioned.

It says that ALL of CANSOFCOM will wear tan berets, doesn't it?

Thanks for the info about the berets.  The video wouldn't come through for me.  i thought someone was reading too many SAS books.

ArmyRick said:
ENOUGH WITH THE BERETS!!!   :mad:   Maroon, tan or pink, who cares?

Tan IS the tradtional colour for forces of this type, not maroon, to respond to the statement at the top of the page.

Jungle said:
All CANSOFCOM pers will wear the tan beret, including a new capbadge, because it will be the only Formation in the CF that will be trained, equipped and mandated to conduct special operations. Pers assigned to CANSOFCOM in the beginning will wear the original capbadge, but eventually there will be a Spec Ops capbadge.
When the Canadian Airborne Regiment was first proposed, the intent was that members would wear the maroon beret but retain thier parent regiment's capbadge.  This notion quickly died.  David Bercuson was very critical of this in his book Significant Incident.

Now that they have selected the tan beret for the SOF I wonder if they will select a new hat badge for the SOF or will they have many different hat badges... (CSOR, SOAS, etc.)

It will be interesting which hat badge they select for the "Tan Tams"  :p... I guess we will find out soon enough.

The current plan is that all members of the CSOR will wear their parent corps/regimental cap badge - there is no plan at this time for a unit badge.

Michael O'Leary said:
The current plan is that all members of the CSOR will wear their parent corps/regimental cap badge - there is no plan at this time for a unit badge.

Jungle or muskrat or someone posted in another thread that a new cap badge was being contemplated for future issue down the road....

Michael Dorosh said:
Jungle or muskrat or someone posted in another thread that a new cap badge was being contemplated for future issue down the road....

Possibly, but not according to the briefer from the CLS's office I spoke to on the 8th.  It was in response to a specific question I put to him during his briefing.

Twas me... that's the info I received from a good source.

Michael Dorosh said:
Jungle said:
Twas me... that's the info I received from a good source.
Can you say from where?

If it is desired for all CANSOFCOM, why not use a Bde patch and leave the parent regt capbadges?

... can picture a variation on the JTF globe and dagger badge... am sure that something has been thought of and is going the rounds of the Puzzle palace.

I know that this ain't original but how's about this. The old Special Service Force shoulder patch except the sword and wings will be metal on top of a black cloth shield background. Instead of a scroll with "Osons" under it there can be a new motto or whatever.

Jungle said:
PM sent...
Seen.  I still think if they are looking for some unifying symbol for all CANSOFCOM to wear, they should consider a command pin or bde patch (or both).

MCG said:
Seen.   I still think if they are looking for some unifying symbol for all CANSOFCOM to wear, they should consider a command pin or bde patch (or both).

Command pin is the best idea.  Would there be an advantage to attaching subunits to different brigades?  Guess it depends on how they are employed...

Back