• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"Taliban will lose ground: Canada's Top Soldier"

vonGarvin

Army.ca Legend
Subscriber
Reaction score
LINK
An improved Afghan army that has grown to more than 60,000 trained soldiers will help NATO forces gain ground on the Taliban this winter, says Canada's top soldier in Afghanistan.
Brig.-Gen. Denis Thompson told reporters Friday that he expects the Taliban will retreat into the mountains this winter, and his troops will do everything they can to prevent them from doing so.
In recent years, the Taliban have retreated into remote areas, the mountains and Pakistan during the winter months.
"We have a distinct advantage in that we can continue to conduct operations throughout the cold winter months, while the insurgents typically have to limit the scope of their activities," Thompson said.
While recent operations have focused on disrupting Taliban activities, Thompson said his troops will now attempt to cut off the Taliban in their expected retreat and will build police substations to reinforce the ground they take.
"My intent, therefore, is to deny the insurgents the ability to rest, resupply and reconstitute their leadership in Kandahar province over the winter months," he said.

More on link

"My intent, therefore, is to deny the insurgents the ability to rest, resupply and reconstitute their leadership in Kandahar province over the winter months," he said.

You should already be going through your Mission Analysis, eh MR?  ^-^

Infanteer said:
You should already be going through your Mission Analysis, eh MR?  ^-^
Damned Straight!  I just never expected to get direction via CTV News! ;D

This really means hunt them down and.....I will leave the rest up to your imaginations.

Go get some and I wish I could be with you.

Having not been to Afghanistan or being of the army type can someone answer this maybe simple question. What makes the Taliban slowdown/retreat during the winter months?

Klinkaroo said:
Having not been to Afghanistan or being of the army type can someone answer this maybe simple question. What makes the Taliban slowdown/retreat during the winter months?

the cold. Only Canadians and Russians, plus a few nutty Nordic types relish it

Heck, having been there in the winter months, it still sucks! When you are used to +50C temperatures, the climate literally drops 30 degrees in a few days (almost froze without the second part of my sleeping bag). It feels way colder than the temperatures actually are, but water will tend to freeze at night and we got snow that would melt when the sun came up. I also likes to rain and turn nice sandy mountains into sloppy mud puddles.

What makes the Taliban slow down during the winter months is that the do not have ample winter supplies. I would not say that the are retreating by no means. They will resort more to suicide bombings and large IED'S to inflict casualties on coalition forces. At the same time the will be reequipping themselves for the summer fighting season.  When April and May roll around they will stand up and fight the best the can again during the summer months. More IED's, More Suicide bombings, More ambushes initiated by RPG's or 82MM rockets. The difference being is that they can lay in the dirt for hours watching us without freezing their B***'s off!!!! It will be summer time and by then the (famed) Royal 22nd Regiment will be in charge. Go get em lads!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tow Tripod  

Mortarman Rockpainter said:
While recent operations have focused on disrupting Taliban activities, Thompson said his troops will now attempt to cut off the Taliban in their expected retreat and will build police substations to reinforce the ground they take.

Interesting parralels here with Northern Ireland where the framework of the security forces' footprint was based on police stations. However, there are significant challenges with this approach, not least of which is deploying enough troops to protect the police stations and essentially committing a large number of infantry to a relatively static, dispersed mode of defense. If we adopt this approach, when the bad guys come out to play again, we'd better be ready to send the 'cavalry' in to rescue these little forts.

No offence General Thompson, but does anyone else find it odd that, after several years of COIN experience, we still have Generals who talk about an enemy who 'retreats' and a freindly force that is apparently keen on 'taking ground' and then 'reinforcing' it?

"Heck, having been there in the winter months, it still sucks! When you are used to +50C temperatures, the climate literally drops 30 degrees in a few days (almost froze without the second part of my sleeping bag). It feels way colder than the temperatures actually are, but water will tend to freeze at night and we got snow that would melt when the sun came up. I also likes to rain and turn nice sandy mountains into sloppy mud puddles."

So what is the problem here...this perfectly describes Wainright to a tee during the fall and spring! Lets just get the job done, and done right. Ubique

Good to hear from Gen. Thompson. It's unfortunate that Canada is withdrawing in 2011, long before the job is completed. Harper disappointed me considering he was spouting the 'we won't cut and run' line just a few years ago. The Manley Report has stated it will take decades to help Afghanistan and it appears Harper has ignored it.

Well ALPHAQUP, the age old adage is... " Ours is not to wonder why..Ours is but to do or die". The mandate is set, and we have our orders. Ubique

Alpha.... 1st point.... we're there now and we haven't gotten to 2011 yet.  Much can change between now and then.

2 - who says Harper has ignored it... just cause you aren't privy to his thoughts doesn't mean it isn't being considered.

I do believe, (and I may be mistaken) that we will withdraw from a combat role in 2011.

Yup, then we will call them "peacekeeping sorties". ;)

Back