• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Taliban attempts to use his 10yo Sister as a suicide bomber

The_Falcon

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
We heard about this the other day, words can't describe how messed up this is.  She is safe and sound for now, how long that will last ???

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/01/08/girl-10-who-refused-to-carry-out-suicide-mission-fears-family-will-strap-another-bomb-to-her-if-she-goes-home/

Girl, 10, who refused to carry out suicide mission fears family will strap another bomb to her if she goes home
Associated Press | January 8, 2014 1:17 PM ET
More from Associated Press

AFP/Getty ImagesSpozhmai, 10, was allegedly about to be used by the Taliban as a suicide bomber, is pictured at a police office in Helmand province.  Afghan police on Jan. 6 searched for a Taliban commander who allegedly forced his 10-year-old sister to wear an explosives-packed vest for an aborted suicide attack in the southern province of Helmand.  .
TwitterGoogle+ LinkedIn Email CommentsMore
TumblrPinterestRedditDiggFarkItStumbleUpon
.The 10-year-old girl has petitioned Afghanistan’s president to help her find a safe, new home days after her brother — a Taliban commander — allegedly strapped an explosives-packed vest to her.

In an interview Wednesday with The Associated Press, the girl known as Spozhmai says she fears that if she returns to her family she again will be asked to blow herself up in a suicide bombing attack. She asked Karzai to put her “in a good place.”

We never do this, especially with girls
.Spozhmai, who authorities say is 10, was detained by police Monday after what they described as a botched attempt to blow up a police checkpoint in southern Khan Nishin district. She is in protective custody in the Helmand provincial capital Lashkargah. Police continue to search for the girl’s brother, who they say escaped with the suicide vest.

NOOR MOHAMMAD/AFP/Getty ImagesSpozhmai, 10, sits in a police office in Helmand province on Jan. 6, 2014. .Border police in the southern Afghan province arrested the girl’s father, Abdul Ghfar, and were searching for the brother, a police commander said. The girl said her brother is a Taliban commander.

Taliban spokesman Qari Yousef Ahamdi denied any involvement in the alleged plot, which he dismissed as government propaganda.

“We never do this, especially with girls,” he said.

Spozhmai spoke to journalists Monday after Afghanistan’s Interior Ministry announced her detention and said she was just 10 years old.

Addressing television cameras, she said her brother, named Zahir, told her to approach a checkpoint and ask the deputy commander for a ride with him to neighbouring Kunar province.

“I agreed, then he attached the vest on my body and told me to spend the night here and leave in the morning,” she said.

But after she and her brother spent the night somewhere, she said she had second thoughts.

“I said I won’t go, then he took off the vest and tried to convince me that they [police] will die and I will remain alive,” Spozhmai said. She said her brother then fled with the vest.

Police said they believed her account.

“The guy named Zahir had the suicide vest and escaped, but she was still there and when our commander of the battalion heard her voice, they surrounded the area and brought this girl to their base, and we all heard her story on how she was forced into this action,” Col. Hamidullah Sediqi said.

Although the Taliban deny it, human rights groups say the insurgent group has occasionally dispatched children for suicide bombings. But girls have been used only rarely, according to Heather Barr, Afghanistan senior researcher at Human Rights Watch.

“There have been very few documented cases of girls being involved in suicide bomb attacks,” Barr said. According to Human Rights Watch, an 8-year-old girl was killed in central Uruzgan province in 2011 when a bag of explosives the Taliban instructed her to carry to a police checkpoint detonated.

.With files from the Associated Press, National Post

There's a reason the Muslim world, writ large, sneers at the Taliban.  During their short stint running Afghanistan, only three countries recognized them as the legitimate government (our 'friends' - Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, UAE).  So if even their brother Muslims think they're dirt bags, why would we expect more?

Journeyman said:
There's a reason the Muslim world, writ large, sneers at the Taliban.  During their short stint running Afghanistan, only three countries recognized them as the legitimate government (our 'friends' - Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, UAE).  So if even their brother Muslims think they're dirt bags, why would we expect more?

And two of those countries, KSA and PAK, created the Taliban.

It, Taliban, means, literally, students, and most of the Taliban were students at madrassas in Pakistan which were funded, almost exclusively, by Saudis and which taught a doctrine called Deobandi which is, in form fit and function, a South Asian twin of the Arabic Wahhabi doctrine. Many (most, I understand, but I am dangerously out of my lanes here) Muslims reject both the Wahhabi and Deobandi interpretations of Islam but few Muslims are prepared to criticize them, openly. Maybe it's like mainstream American Episcopalians or Canadian Anglicans who don't approve of e.g. Appalachian snake handlers but, equally, don't, formally, denounce them.

I am confident that there is a special circle of hell for parents who allow their children to be murdered in this way.

jeffb said:
I am confident that there is a special circle of hell for parents who allow their children to be murdered in this way.

Unfortunately, if that is truly the end result, their beliefs are the opposite and that this is one guaranteed path to Heaven. 

George Wallace said:
Unfortunately, if that is truly the end result, their beliefs are the opposite and that this is one guaranteed path to Heaven.
This isn't mocking because I honestly don't know, but would a 10-year old girl get access to their heaven for being a suicide bomber?  Would the brother get 'bonus points' towards entry?

E.R. Campbell said:
And two of those countries, KSA and PAK, created the Taliban.

It, Taliban, means, literally, students, and most of the Taliban were students at madrassas in Pakistan which were funded, almost exclusively, by Saudis and which taught a doctrine called Deobandi which is, in form fit and function, a South Asian twin of the Arabic Wahhabi doctrine. Many (most, I understand, but I am dangerously out of my lanes here) Muslims reject both the Wahhabi and Deobandi interpretations of Islam but few Muslims are prepared to criticize them, openly. Maybe it's like mainstream American Episcopalians or Canadian Anglicans who don't approve of e.g. Appalachian snake handlers but, equally, don't, formally, denounce them.

It's not far from the truth, however most Muslims remain ignorant of what goes on and work hard not to notice such things. if the Iman says the sky is green, then many of them will try to point what a lovely shade of green it is despite seeing the sky is blue. It's to show they are a truer Muslim than Achmed down the street. They are all deathly afraid of being considered a "bad Muslim" often for some very real good and practical reasons.

I note Wiki claims Deobandism started around 1860, but as I recall from my reading it started much further back than that, Whabbism started around 1740 and my understanding its that the founders of Deobandism attended Islamic studies with the founder of Whabbism in Arabia. I will see if I can find that reference again.

Let's put it bluntly: these barbaric fanatics will bend the word any which way to suit their agendas.  Have a look at this Iman being asked about anal sex in a homosexual way to carry out jihad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6d7Nr3K5K_4&feature=youtu.be

Now remember, anyone can become or proclaimed an Iman, so their educations and knowledge may at times be lacking in what they preach or make judgement on. 

George Wallace said:
Let's put it bluntly: these barbaric fanatics will bend the word any which way to suit their agendas.  Have a look at this Iman being asked about anal sex in a homosexual way to carry out jihad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6d7Nr3K5K_4&feature=youtu.be

Now remember, anyone can become or proclaimed an Iman, so their educations and knowledge may at times be lacking in what they preach or make judgement on.

Be careful ... there are a lot of strange, small (and not so small) sects in most major religions. There are lot of pretty odd Christians out there, many of whom believe things, and do things for which I think they ought to be, at the very least, publicly flogged.

E.R. Campbell said:
Be careful ... there are a lot of strange, small (and not so small) sects in most major religions. There are lot of pretty odd Christians out there, many of whom believe things, and do things for which I think they ought to be, at the very least, publicly flogged.

The westboro baptists, spring to mind.  Some of the locals I interact with regularly have been talking about this, and are not very happy, and think this was beyond evil.  But I am also in Kabul, which doesn't have the same level of radicals/radicalism as where this incident occurred.

The Taliban's response?  LIES, all lies!

Back