• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Tactical Armoured Patrol Vehicle - RG-31, LAV Coyote, and (partial) G-Wagon Replacement

Ludoc said:
The back of the vehicle is taken up by the engine. About half way back sits the rear sentry and they have a hatch.

You can see where the sentry sits in one of the pictures I have (tried to) attached. The other shows the hatch open, it is immediately behind the RWS.

ah does not have the narrow rear passage way like it's grandfather the V100/V150

The shoehorning of everything imaginable into a relatively small vehicle (with an awkward internal layout) is bound to cause problems in service. I had the opportunity to look at some proposals to fit out the TAPV for use in IA (particularly as a patrol vehicle for PSYOPS teams) and the results were not pretty (especially since we would essentially have to rewrite the doctrine to fit a team into the space provided in a TAPV, or use two per team).

Sadly, we are probably stuck with this for the next 25 years before a clean sheet of paper approach can be instituted.

I wonder if the tire is a blindspot for the RWS. Not necessarily it's sights, but it's barrel.

Looks to me you'd have to get the GIB to cover that arc with a pistol.

This from the Info-machine ...
Canadian Army conducts its first training on the new Tactical Armoured Patrol Vehicle

August 18, 2016 – Ottawa – National Defence / Canadian Armed Forces

Keeping with the Government of Canada’s commitment to providing Canadian Armed Forces personnel with the equipment and training they need to carry out important missions at home and abroad, the first six Tactical Armoured Patrol Vehicles (TAPV) arrived at 5th Canadian Division Support Base Gagetown on Friday, August 12.

Starting next week, the 5th Canadian Division Support Base Gagetown will start the first iteration of training on the new vehicle. The initial cadre training for operators and maintainers will be provided by Field Service Representatives from Textron Systems Canada Inc. with oversight provided by the Canadian Army’s Directorate of Land Requirements and the Combat Training Centre.

Following inspection and acceptance of the vehicles, the Canadian Army is now preparing to operate the TAPV. This initial cadre training is another phase in the delivery and fielding of this important vehicle. The TAPV is part of a fleet of multipurpose vehicles to be used in both domestic and expeditionary operations. They are mobile and provide a high degree of protection for the crew.
Quotes

“As a former member of the Canadian Army reserves, I can speak first-hand to the importance of reaching this milestone in the TAPV project.  The rigorous testing that was involved in preparation to receive these vehicles has resulted in a design that will help to ensure our Canadian Armed Forces are well-equipped and properly sustained to succeed at operations.”
    Harjit S. Sajjan, Minister of National Defence

The delivery of the first six Tactical Armoured Patrol Vehicles to the Canadian Army demonstrates our Government’s commitment to provide our men and women in uniform with the right equipment to do their jobs, while ensuring that taxpayers are getting the best value for their money.”
    Judy M. Foote, Minister of Public Services and Procurement Canada

“The design, purpose and the variety of roles the TAPV was built to perform will only enhance the capability of the Canadian Army and ensure our soldiers have the equipment required to perform their role in support of operations.”
    Brigadier-General Derek A. Macaulay, Chief of Staff Army Strategy, Canadian Army Headquarters

Quick Facts

In June 2012, Textron Systems Canada Inc. (Ottawa, Ontario) was awarded two contracts. One contract was for the acquisition of 500 vehicles, valued at $603.4 million, and the second contract was for vehicle support valued at $105.4 million.
    The Department of National Defence will procure a total of 500 vehicles with final delivery expected in December 2017. There is also an option for an additional 100 vehicles. 
    The TAPV will partially replace the Coyote Light Armoured Vehicle, completely replace the Armoured Patrol Vehicle RG-31 and complement the Light Utility Vehicle Wheeled.
    The TAPV was acquired with the view to perform a variety of battlefield roles, including but not limited to, reconnaissance, surveillance, security, command and control, cargo and as a protected troop transport. The vehicle’s mobility and crew protection characteristics enable it to be employed within a wide spectrum of potential operational environments.   
    The TAPV was chosen after a rigorous evaluation process that included testing for mobility, firepower, survivability and human factors, as well as a paper-based evaluation of other technical and financial criteria.
    The TAPV will provide a very high degree of protection to the crew while remaining highly mobile. It is designed to tackle tough terrain in any environment, providing troops with a cross-country capability, and a greater flexibility in traversing various routes.

- 30 -

Does the CC have a duplicate set of controls for the RWS?  Can he/she see what the gunner sees?

...NOT trying to turn this political in the slightest, just an observation...

But, Judy Foote - hate to break it to you.  Your government had nothing to do with this project.  While I understand you are the Minister now in charge of procurement, you had absolutely nothing to do with this procurement - other than to be minister when the vehicles were finally delivered.

Great job though, at patting yourself on your own back. 

CBH99 said:
...NOT trying to turn this political in the slightest, just an observation...

But, Judy Foote - hate to break it to you.  Your government had nothing to do with this project.  While I understand you are the Minister now in charge of procurement, you had absolutely nothing to do with this procurement - other than to be minister when the vehicles were finally delivered.

Great job though, at patting yourself on your own back. 

Yeah, but she's also taking heat for the crap pay system she got saddled with by the previous group. So just think of it as taking the good with the bad.

I would say the Tories did that too, but did we have any procurement projects started in the late 1990s they could take credit for?

Also interesting that the TAPV "partially" replaces the Coyote. LAV6 as the other half replacement?

PuckChaser said:
Also interesting that the TAPV "partially" replaces the Coyote. LAV6 as the other half replacement?
Yes, there is going to be a Recce version of the LAV 6 showing up in the next year or so. It is designated the LRSS, unfortunately I don't remember what it stands for. Having talked to some guys in the know (I am currently posted to a Recce Sqn) it's new surveillance gear is supposed to be pretty impressive.

Ludoc said:
It is designated the LRSS, unfortunately I don't remember what it stands for.

If I remember correctly from the briefing I received, it stands for Long Range Surveillance Suite.

Ludoc said:
Yes, there is going to be a Recce version of the LAV 6 showing up in the next year or so. It is designated the LRSS, unfortunately I don't remember what it stands for. Having talked to some guys in the know (I am currently posted to a Recce Sqn) it's new surveillance gear is supposed to be pretty impressive.

So basically Recce Squadron is going from G-wagon/Coyote to TAPV/LAV 6LRSS, geez why not just give them a leopard with improved optics at this rate, keeps getting bigger and bigger

Ludoc said:

Ack, thanks. Was hoping they weren't going to keep an orphan fleet of 'Yotes around, and glad they're upgrading the surv suite with the vehicle. Probably the only time 2 projects talked together in the history of modern CAF procurement.

PuckChaser said:
Ack, thanks. Was hoping they weren't going to keep an orphan fleet of 'Yotes around, and glad they're upgrading the surv suite with the vehicle. Probably the only time 2 projects talked together in the history of modern CAF procurement.

Jinxed it!

PuckChaser said:
Given that the LAV 3 was upgraded to LAV 6 with enough left-over parts to assemble LAV 3 monuments, it is unfortunate that the Coyote (a LAV 2) was not upgraded to LAV 6 in the same way.

... or maybe it is not too late for that idea.

MCG said:
Given that the LAV 3 was upgraded to LAV 6 with enough left-over parts to assemble LAV 3 monuments, it is unfortunate that the Coyote (a LAV 2) was not upgraded to LAV 6 in the same way.

... or maybe it is not too late for that idea.

The Chassis are different.

George Wallace said:
The Chassis are different.
The same is true of a LAV 3 to LAV 6.  That is why there is a whole LAV 3 remaining as a monument when the upgrade is complete.

Correct. Extremely little of the "old" vehicle survives into the new one. It is an upgrade in name only.

The replacement-by-another name is cheaper than what the US Marines are doing, which is an upgrade.

Loachman said:
The replacement-by-another name is ........

>:D

Our Federal Government is getting quite good at that in all Departments in the last decade.  Job Cuts got a whole new misleading name, if I recall correctly..... [:D

Shhhh! Workforce adjustment is like the Scottish play which shall not be named.

Or that Rowling dude, Volde--

Back