• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Tactical Armoured Patrol Vehicle - RG-31, LAV Coyote, and (partial) G-Wagon Replacement

GnyHwy said:
I could barely fit my leg into a Ferret, let alone a tac vest and rifle.  I guess the concept of the Ferret is still there (whatever than means), but the Ferret is about the same size as the box lunches that feed this beast.

Which is why crewmen were armed with pistols and SMGs ;D

recceguy said:

I've fired the SMG.  I think I'd rather have a water gun filled with lemon juice.  ;D

recceguy said:
LOL too true.  I like to think they also had the best weapon in the form of a radio and the ability to use it to great effect. 

recceguy said:
However, it likely doesn't also use a forward\ reverse lever to enable it to utilize a five speed transmission to make the vehicle go as fast backwards as it does forwards either ;)

Although the ability to go fast forward and in reverse probably didn't hurt...  :salute:

MJP said:
LOL too true.  I like to think they also had the best weapon in the form of a radio and the ability to use it to great effect. 

Although the ability to go fast forward and in reverse probably didn't hurt...  :salute:

Armoured recce has always considered our radio to be our main weapon and we take pride in being able to use it more effectivley than most.

We always liked the idea of being capable of getting out of trouble faster than we got ourselves into it. ;D

recceguy said:
That is quite a bit larger, likely far more noisier and has an effective gun.

Those three reasons alone take it out of the Ferret category.

However, it likely doesn't also use a forward\ reverse lever to enable it to utilize a five speed transmission to make the vehicle go as fast backwards as it does forwards either ;)

But I get your point.

That's more of a Fox than a Ferret, which going by UK 1960 recce model was part of the plan, Ferrets, backed by Saladins, Foxes and Scorpions doing recce.

Ferrets mmmmmm louder inside than out side, finger eating driver vision flap/ hatch, what ever it was called. All wheeled drive with open drive shafts running down either side of your legs. Reverse tilted steering wheel to real mess with you sense of normalicy and preselect gears with selection pedal (not a clutch). No room to put kit any where other than skinny little wheel shaped bins, and "a la gypsy" strapped, tied, wrapped around the vehicle.  No heater, windshield, or crew comfort, all that and capable of 60 mph on non radial tires.  Now that was a recce vehicle!

Tank Troll said:
Ferrets mmmmmm louder inside than out side, finger eating driver vision flap/ hatch, what ever it was called. All wheeled drive with open drive shafts running down either side of your legs. Reverse tilted steering wheel to real mess with you sense of normalicy and preselect gears with selection pedal (not a clutch). No room to put kit any where other than skinny little wheel shaped bins, and "a la gypsy" strapped, tied, wrapped around the vehicle.  No heater, windshield, or crew comfort, all that and capable of 60 mph on non radial tires.  Now that was a recce vehicle!

There's a difference between using one day in and day out as opposed to sitting in a museum display to gain experience.

Never sat in one in a museum. We had 4 at the Strathcona's that we rebuilt and ran on a regular bases with the Historical vehicle Troop. I never had to live out of one in the field but from driving it and working on it one can easily see the pros and cons of the vehicle compared to other Armour vehicles that I have used and done trials on.

Sharing the TAPV regional benefits bounty....
The Honourable Bernard Valcourt, Associate Minister of National Defence, Minister of State (Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency) (La Francophonie) and Member of Parliament for Madawaska-Restigouche, today announced that Rheinmetall Canada has been awarded an important contract by Textron Systems Canada Inc. to provide the Canadian Army with new and improved Tactical Armoured Patrol Vehicles. 

( .... )

The Tactical Armoured Patrol Vehicles project is one of four Family of Land Combat projects announced at Canadian Forces Base Gagetown in July 2009. These new vehicles offer a strengthened degree of safety and protection for crew members over our Canadian Army’s Light Armoured Vehicle II (Coyote) and the Armoured Patrol Vehicles (RG-31).  Once in service, these vehicles will perform a number of critical roles, including reconnaissance and surveillance, command and control, and cargo and armoured personnel transportation.

This $205 million subcontract is a result of the Government of Canada’s $708.7 million contract award to Textron Systems Canada Inc. and is a prime example of the high quality work Canadian industry is carrying out as a result of the Government of Canada's Industrial and Regional Benefits policy. When Textron Systems Canada Inc. was awarded the contract for the Tactical Armoured Patrol Vehicles, it committed to ensure that 100 per cent of the contract’s value would be directed to activities of benefit to Canada.  The subcontract award announced today is expected to sustain and create dozens of high quality, skilled jobs in Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Québec. 

( .... )

Rheinmetall Canada will perform critical engineering, production and in-service support work at its facility in Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Québec. During the production phase of the Tactical Armoured Patrol Vehicles fleet, Rheinmetall will perform the final assembly and test of the vehicles.  Rheinmetall will also integrate essential sub-systems such as the Remotely Controlled Weapon Station (a system installed on a combat vehicle which allows the user to safely operate the system’s weapons from inside the vehicle) the Vehicle Navigation System (a system that provides the user with information on its location, direction of movement and destination with or without external aids such as GPS in order to enhance the vehicle crew’s positional awareness) and the Driver Vision Enhancement System (this system consists of two sensors (one forward and one rear) and a display screen which provides the driver with thermal imaging views of the external forward and rear images). Further, the company will be the primary in-service support hub for the vehicle fleet during its service life ....
DND/CF Info-machine, 30 Oct 12

Tank Troll said:
Yay an other vehicle built in Quebec
And of course the major question is ,will we be offered the usual options of either non functional brakes or rust?

By combining regional expertise's, we can get squeaky brakes that rust and seize. The main problem is how do we reproduce a bilingual "squeal"?

I wonder how they will improve on the design to make it more difficult to do any 1st and 2nd line repairs.

I know Bombardier did a really great job with the ML's and the Iltis.

Enough complaining already! If they get the vehicles to squeal loudly in both official languages and it rust equally fast in Quebec and the rest of Canada, then its been done politically correct and thus forth Canadianly  :cdn: :facepalm:

MORE industrial benefits, this time for a London, Ontario company....
The Honourable Bernard Valcourt, Associate Minister of National Defence, Minister of State (Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency) (La Francophonie) and Member of Parliament for Madawaska-Restigouche, today announced a significant subcontract that will sustain and create high-quality jobs while providing the Canadian Army with new and improved Tactical Armoured Patrol Vehicles.

Kongsberg Protech Systems Canada has been awarded this $100 million contract by Rheinmetall Canada Inc. in support of the Tactical Armoured Patrol Vehicle project which will help to sustain 16 jobs and create approximately 16 more jobs – doubling the workforce at KONGSBERG Canada’s London, Ontario production facility.

(....)

The Tactical Armoured Patrol Vehicles project is one of four ‘Family of Land Combat’ projects announced at Canadian Forces Base Gagetown in July 2009. These new vehicles offer an increased degree of safety and protection for crew members over our Canadian Army’s Light Armoured Vehicle II (Coyote) and the Armoured Patrol Vehicles (RG-31).  Once in service, these vehicles will perform a number of critical roles, including reconnaissance and surveillance, command and control, and cargo and armoured personnel transportation.

This subcontract is a result of the Government of Canada’s $708.7 million contract award to Textron Systems Canada Inc. and is an example of the high quality work being carried out by the Canadian defence and security industry. Thanks to the Government of Canada's Industrial and Regional Benefits policy, when Textron Systems Canada Inc. was awarded the contract for the Tactical Armoured Patrol Vehicles, they committed to ensure that 100 per cent of the contract’s value would be invested into the Canadian economy .... 

milnews.ca said:
MORE industrial benefits, this time for a London, Ontario company....

I sense a strategy unfolding  :eek:

708 MCAD on TAPVs creates all these contracts with all these companies all over Canada (Ontario and Quebec in particular) and all these jobs
1215 MCAD on Upgrading LAV IIIs creates all these contracts with all these companies all over Canada (Ontario and Quebec in particular) and all these jobs
9000 MCAD on CF-35s creates all these contracts with all these companies all over Canada (Ontario and Quebec in particular) and all these jobs

Kirkhill said:
I sense a strategy unfolding  :eek:

708 MCAD on TAPVs creates all these contracts with all these companies all over Canada (Ontario and Quebec in particular) and all these jobs
1215 MCAD on Upgrading LAV IIIs creates all these contracts with all these companies all over Canada (Ontario and Quebec in particular) and all these jobs
9000 MCAD on CF-35s creates all these contracts with all these companies all over Canada (Ontario and Quebec in particular) and all these jobs
Also know as business as usual............the real Government motto isn't " Mari Usque Ad Mare" it's " Got Pork?"

May of missed this while readying the thread but any one know whats going to happen to the Coyote fleet? I'd like to see some of them reach the reserves in various roles our vehicle fleet is lackin in something similar to what the reg force uses to train on.

GK .Dundas said:
Also know as business as usual............the real Government motto isn't " Mari Usque Ad Mare" it's " Got Pork?"

sort of translates to "Da nobis pecunia" according to Google translate from "give us money"

MilEME09 said:
May of missed this while readying the thread but any one know whats going to happen to the Coyote fleet? I'd like to see some of them reach the reserves in various roles our vehicle fleet is lackin in something similar to what the reg force uses to train on.

And who will maintain the vehicles?  Who will pay for spares for an orphan fleet?  What role will the vehicles perform?

Back