• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Tac Vest does not make the grade.

Reaction score
0
Points
10
a google search revealed nothing, anyone have a pic of the fat wannabe?

also, its good to see Canada going the right way for its troops...anyways
since when do troops being shot at in afstan know what they need
 

PuckChaser

Moderator
Staff member
Directing Staff
Mentor
Reaction score
1,726
Points
1,060
jonathan_power said:
a google search revealed nothing, anyone have a pic of the fat wannabe?

Back one page in this thread.
 

old fart

Member
Reaction score
1
Points
230
Anyone's Grunt said:
To use a British expression..."Happy with that"...as of course I am sold on SORD.. :nod:

Anyway, anyone in Gagetown who may want to try it out...PM me...

Pouches you can't see, dump pouch attached to back of large utility.  PLB pouch is beside the small utility. A hydration cover and rad pouch on rear.  The pistol holster is not SORD although I do have the SORD pistol attachment to which I have fitted a Blackhawk CQB.

My preference was to keep the blackhawk/paddle on my belt so when I dropped the rig I could quickly relocate my pistol.

Not a fan of the front opening stuff as mentioned before that seems to have been pushed at the trial.

SORD is scalable and releasable..and in my experience is very well made.  I never had any problems with the velcro what so ever...Old fart out  :cdn: :salute:

 
 

KevinB

Army.ca Legend
Subscriber
Reaction score
8,157
Points
1,140
Well thats about the dumbest places to put a pistol.

I'm a little disappointed that Paraclete nor Crye where tested.

Caleb Crye being a Canadian (though Crye is a US co.), and probably has the most forward thinking designs, and a fav of US SMU's
 

PMedMoe

Army.ca Legend
Donor
Reaction score
763
Points
940
Loachman said:
It's a commercial company. They are market-driven, not "PC"-driven.

They are producing them in that size because they foresee sufficient sales for them in that size.

When I was leaving work today, I saw a military guy walking out of the hospital and he looked like he would have needed the 70" vest.  :eek:
 

NL_engineer

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
0
Points
410
Well I was joking with a few of my friends today about that, we think we will be asking for that size when we get home to fit over all the artic gear we are going to be wearing to get through the winter  ;D. 
 

Garett

Full Member
Reaction score
0
Points
210
Theres another .pdf document makings its way around now with pictures and more detail.
 

Jarnhamar

Army.ca Myth
Reaction score
3,672
Points
1,060
So we need a new tacvest.
There are (probably) dozens of vests out there that could fit the bill. Instead of just buying those vests for our soldiers we're going to spend another 10+ years designing and producing one? Which we will give to the lowest bidder to manufacture?
 

Kokanee

Member
Reaction score
0
Points
210
Flawed Design said:
So we need a new tacvest.
There are (probably) dozens of vests out there that could fit the bill. Instead of just buying those vests for our soldiers we're going to spend another 10+ years designing and producing one? Which we will give to the lowest bidder to manufacture?

Negative. Next few roto's will get commercial-off-the-shelf (COTS); this is in parallel w/ a new vest design process. That's how it's been explained to me.

Unless someone's heard different?
 

birdgunnnersrule

Jr. Member
Reaction score
0
Points
60
When the new vest does come in, for those that want to gripe and complain on this form, I recommend that you take the time to fill in the TFRs and UCRs that are avail on the DWAN.  This will highlight problems and issues to the project staff so that they can be fixed/addressed and money allocated in the correct places.  If you really want to make a difference this is a perfect spot.  Apologize for the bitterness, but working in the procurement world does that to a person, especially when people like to complain about issues instead of using the system to see them properly addressed.

It is apparent that this form will live on in infamy even if a new vest is bought as everyone has and is entitled to an opinion. Not a chance in hell that everyone will be happy so we will all soldier on.

 

PuckChaser

Moderator
Staff member
Directing Staff
Mentor
Reaction score
1,726
Points
1,060
TF 3-09 is auth at-own-expense purchase at the discretion of JTFA Comd for tacvests off the shelf... TF1-10 is supposed to be given COTS vests as an interim measure. At least that's what I read out of the CANLANDGEN.
 
Reaction score
0
Points
210
birdgunnnersrule said:
When the new vest does come in, for those that want to gripe and complain on this form, I recommend that you take the time to fill in the TFRs and UCRs that are avail on the DWAN.  This will highlight problems and issues to the project staff so that they can be fixed/addressed and money allocated in the correct places.  If you really want to make a difference this is a perfect spot.  Apologize for the bitterness, but working in the procurement world does that to a person, especially when people like to complain about issues instead of using the system to see them properly addressed.

It is apparent that this form will live on in infamy even if a new vest is bought as everyone has and is entitled to an opinion. Not a chance in hell that everyone will be happy so we will all soldier on.

Surely the points of issue will be too many/too few PALS channels, crappy pouch selection/styles and other minor issues compared to the glaring FUBAR tacvest deficiencies. As long as the new getup is completely modular and points toward TT MAV and/or MOFOCR style, I think any gripes will be more on the cosmetic vice function side. Even then, with a huge selection of pouches out there, not hard for anyone not 100% satisfied with the upcoming issued range can always augment.
Once a modular tacvest replacement is in the system, any new versions after that should be relatively easy to work out, as the vest and its components can be changed/upgraded in pieces and not do a complete overhaul.
 

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Relic
Reaction score
11,354
Points
1,160
birdgunnnersrule said:
When the new vest does come in, for those that want to gripe and complain on this form, I recommend that you take the time to fill in the TFRs and UCRs that are avail on the DWAN.  This will highlight problems and issues to the project staff so that they can be fixed/addressed and money allocated in the correct places.  If you really want to make a difference this is a perfect spot.  Apologize for the bitterness, but working in the procurement world does that to a person, especially when people like to complain about issues instead of using the system to see them properly addressed.

My understanding is that most troops have about as much faith in the UCR process to effect meaningful change as they do in the Tac Vest they want to get rid of. However, I'm the last guy on this forum to comment with any accurate knowledge.

Can you give us a good example of a successful change brought about through using the UCR process? Other than the tobasco sace in the IMPs, of course  ;D
 

dapaterson

Army.ca Relic
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
7,081
Points
1,090
daftandbarmy said:
My understanding is that most troops have about as much faith in the UCR process to effect meaningful change as they do in the Tac Vest they want to get rid of. However, I'm the last guy on this forum to comment with any accurate knowledge.

Can you give us a good example of a successful change brought about through using the UCR process? Other than the tobasco sace in the IMPs, of course  ;D

Tabasco in the IMPs came from those little comment cards in the IMPs.

UCRs sometimes fail to make a differnece because they are incomplete, incoherent, or both.  A rambling screed stating "THIS SUX!" is not helpful to the LCMM to identify and rectify problems.

On the other hand, "The current limit of four magazines is insufficient for prolonged firefights when dismounted." is somewhat more helpful.

Touch on the five Ws and H and you'll be much farther ahead.
 

The_Falcon

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
0
Points
410
Given the wording in the CANLANDGEN about the use/procurement of COTS vests, that some UCR's did in fact reach the upper echelons of the puzzle palace, that or someone of enough rank and influence has been reading all the ranting on this forum.
 

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Relic
Reaction score
11,354
Points
1,160
Hatchet Man said:
Given the wording in the CANLANDGEN about the use/procurement of COTS vests, that some UCR's did in fact reach the upper echelons of the puzzle palace, that or someone of enough rank and influence has been reading all the ranting on this forum.

I'd like to see some evidence of that before believing that the UCR process worked in this case.
 

The_Falcon

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
0
Points
410
Well I doubt that is going to happen anytime soon, unless someone makes an FOI request to see what became of the UCR's that were submitted.  Really it could be any number of factors that have led to this development (UCRs/bitching on this forum/bitching in real life to higher ups/etc.).  Unless those up top care to enlighten us on why this about face, then we are going to be stuck guessing at the reasons why.
 
Top