• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

System Upgrade: Please Report Problems

This morning's issue was a problem with the database (upgrade gone slightly awry). All good now, though we did see a heavy load throughout the day that I will have to keep an eye on.

The Wiki: Sigh. I should have known the Children of the Internet would fall upon us. The accounts should be working again, and I have just finished reverting the Wiki database back to a clean backup image.

tango22a, your issue has me stumped. Does it only happen from one computer?

MCG said:
Looks like it has been hit by vandals already, and my log-in is not working.

Mike Bobbitt said:
The Wiki: Sigh. I should have known the Children of the Internet would fall upon us. The accounts should be working again, and I have just finished reverting the Wiki database back to a clean backup image.

Spent an hour or so playing in Wiki.  90% or more of the Wiki is now taken up by spam posts, and some Malicious Spammers are editing the Main Page, either through their ignorance of how wiki works or just to be malicious and only have their spam show. 

Another note on the wiki; Michael Dorash is the only admin for the wiki.  As he is no longer here, no one has the permissions to quickly DELETE 90% of the posts that are nothing but SPAM.

George Wallace said:
Spent an hour or so playing in Wiki.  90% or more of the Wiki is now taken up by spam posts, and some Malicious Spammers are editing the Main Page, either through their ignorance of how wiki works or just to be malicious and only have their spam show. 

Another note on the wiki; Michael Dorash is the only admin for the wiki.  As he is no longer here, no one has the permissions to quickly DELETE 90% of the posts that are nothing but SPAM.

George, I think the spam posts have been cleaned up, unless you've found more since I restored from backup. I did a cursory search and everything looked clean.

Although it doesn't show it in group membership, site DS should have administrative rights in the Wiki too.

I tried to Delete Spam posts, but could only edit like any other user.  No Delete button. 

George Wallace said:
I tried to Delete Spam posts, but could only edit like any other user.  No Delete button.

OK, I'll look into that... but are you still seeing spam posts in the Wiki?

I've had the same military quote all week.

Old infantrymen don't die, they join the vanguard for the liberation of hell.

And "Today in Military History" is showing for 15 Sep.

Edit to add "Today..."

Good catch, I believe I have fixed that too (may take a bit of time for the new info to start populating).

Header no longer shows "Unread messages" when I go to http://army.ca/forums.  However, my bookmark for unread messages still works.

Sometimes the header section is hidden, but can be expanded with the down arrow (see the screenshot, and click where my hastily drawn blue circle is).

Aha!  Good to know!

Could this be related to me accessing the site on multiple devices?  Are settings remembered across devices, or is it in a cookie on each machine?

That settings is remembered across all devices, so you might have done it on your phone and then wondered why things looked different on your desktop. :)

Hey Mike.

Tried to award some milpoints tonight and when I hit the award button I got this error message:

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /milpoints/assess.php on this server.

Just ran a quick test and it seems to be OK. I believe the watch dogs occasionally trigger on some of the data submitted, do you know which thread it was? Could be the topic title or something similar getting in the way.

Mike Bobbitt said:
Just ran a quick test and it seems to be OK. I believe the watch dogs occasionally trigger on some of the data submitted, do you know which thread it was? Could be the topic title or something similar getting in the way.

Here is the post I was going to reward.

http://army.ca/forums/threads/33365/post-1394965.html#msg1394965

Just tried again and it still blocked me out. But just gave you points in this thread and it worked.

cupper said:
Here is the post I was going to reward.

http://army.ca/forums/threads/33365/post-1394965.html#msg1394965

Just tried again and it still blocked me out. But just gave you points in this thread and it worked.

Same for me, I could not give points to D&B on that thread, but I did to you on this one.

That's it... in this case it is because the thread title has quote marks in it, and the thread title is passed in as data when you submit the MilPoints assess form. Took a quick stab at fixing it, but that approach didn't help. I'll try to take a more detailed look later.

Mike Bobbitt said:
That's it... in this case it is because the thread title has quote marks in it, and the thread title is passed in as data when you submit the MilPoints assess form. Took a quick stab at fixing it, but that approach didn't help. I'll try to take a more detailed look later.

Gotta love the wonders of technology. Someday this internet thing is really going to take off.

I think you have an infestation problem.  There are bats crawling all over the site!
:pumpkin:

Back