• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Swords

MedTech said:
I recently found these places that sell replica swords, now, honestly, what are some of your opinions on these? For a quarter of the price of Wilkinsons, I can get a decently made sword for parades... I dont know what do you think?

Hate to say it, but Wilkinson is out of the sword business.

George Wallace said:
It can be done, but it is very expensive.  It will depend on the value (not necessarily monetary) that you place on it.  There are people who have the skills to 'replate' it.  Unfortunately I don't know any, but remember someone in the RCD, the 2i/c or Adjt, looking into to it and deciding it was too expensive.

I saw "dipped" swords over my years as a QM and they looked like hell. And they were redipped in chrome because of abuse, ie left in scabbard, or someone decided to play pirate after too many beers at the Change of Command Parade. Piss off, if you busted up a C7 or prior FN you' d have been charged.

Neill McKay said:
Hate to say it, but Wilkinson is out of the sword business.

Somehow I am not surprised, $1500 as mentioned prior seemed a lot of money in 1981 given my 2Lt wage upon commisioning was $1635 a month.

geo said:
If your Great granddad was an Infantry officer, then the chances are .... it is an infantriy pattern sword.

http://www.wkc-solingen.de/newshop/infantrysword.html
Hmmm, I have heard of these people, they do excellent work, In fact they bought out all the Wilkinson dies and are now producing swords of the Wilkinson pattern with a WKC logo. Oh wait I am the rep for WKC here in Canada that is why I heard of them before. I stock these swords and the sword slings. The RCR buy these from me and so do the RCD's(yes a different pattern) but hey I encourage you to keep looking for swords when they are right here in the proper pattern. But hey what do I know.

Army Outfitters said:
Hmmm, I have heard of these people, they do excellent work, In fact they bought out all the Wilkinson dies and are now producing swords of the Wilkinson pattern with a WKC logo. Oh wait I am the rep for WKC here in Canada that is why I heard of them before. I stock these swords and the sword slings. The RCR buy these from me and so do the RCD's(yes a different pattern) but hey I encourage you to keep looking for swords when they are right here in the proper pattern. But hey what do I know.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't force him to drink from your bucket...

yes I know. I have learned that along time ago but hey if they buy it from the RCR kit shop or whatever they will still be buying it indirectly via me so whatever. Just pointing out a cheaper route that is more direct

Infantry pattern are in stock of the Wilkinson pattern made in Germany by WKC. They are $1000 plus tax. They include a scabbard of course. Sharkskin grip with wire wrap. Proper 1897 pattern with the Canadian Coat of Arms.

honestly... its just a little pricey for me... unless we can work out a payment plan lol. :D

don't forget to add in a gold wire (or leather) knot.
(might as well get some kidd leather gloves too while you're at it)

Hello all,

Thank you for starting this thread, I have always had an interest in swords. Especially those of the Canadian military....

I have been attending a fencing club for a few years now, and would like to make a few comments regarding swordplay.

First of all, never engage in swordplay using live (sharp) blades.

Never engage in contact fencing without a proper fencing mask. The human face is terribly designed when it comes to swordplay, any errant strike near your face will likely end up being guided into your eye by the contours of your face.

A good swordsperson always tries to avoid contact between blades. Aside from being a sign of ignorance, it leads to the bad habit of attacking the opponent's blade, rather than the opponent. The random clashing of steel is poor form, and to be discouraged highly.

I would highly recommend joining a local fencing club. You will learn more than you ever expected. If you carry a sword you should know how to use it, in my opinion. Fencing is also a surprisingly good workout.

Start with a foil, you will pick up good habits and be able to surprise those who skipped directly to sabre. They tend to forget that their sword has a point.

If you are looking for a way to compete with swords, then perhaps you could set up a target cutting competition. See how many targets you can cut through in a certain time, or before your sword gets too dull. Slicing apples that are thrown at you or catching them on the point of your sword is another option.

These are just a few suggestions. I am civilian and have no experience with how the Canadian military handles training with swords. If I am out of line in any way then I apologize.

Best Wishes,

-Rick

Hi Rick! Thanks for that informative post! The CF no longer uses the sword as a weapon for its officers, and all of our swords are used purely for ceremonial purposes. I dont know about anyone else but I would rather refrain from dueling with swords with one of my fellow officers.  :D But who knows one of these days that tradition might just be revived and all of us officers and gentlemen/women may have to once again defend our honour!

I do wan to look into fencing though. Looks like such a cool sport! :D

Army Outfitters said:
I don't have an issue with working with you on this if you are interested

Thanks for that Dave, but I'm at a point in my career (YES Reservists have a 'career' too  ;)) where I'm sort of undecided to where it's going to lead me, that's why I'm trying to search for the best sword for the best price (read inexpensive) that I can parade with and not worry too much about the consequences if I decide what I'm going to do. I mean, it would really be counterproductive if I spent that much money on a Wilkonson just to have to switch to another sword.. ie. the Naval Officers Pattern right?  ;D

But once again thank you Dave. I do still want those gloves though! :)

MedTech,
Regarding training w/ sword, what about the mounted troop the Strathcona's have? I saw the tail end of their performance here in Vancouver at the PNE and, I was impressed. While this is a leaky arguement it goes to show we still have some real live trained-for-more-than-ceremonial sword wavers.

*shrug* I wouldnt know :) never seen em. BUT I guess you could argue that, but in a war fighting sense, not really there is it?

MedTech said:
Hi Rick! Thanks for that informative post! The CF no longer uses the sword as a weapon for its officers, and all of our swords are used purely for ceremonial purposes.

Drunken subbies have been known to draw the blade & tempt fate........
(that's all I will say)

geo said:
Drunken subbies have been known to draw the blade & tempt fate........
(that's all I will say)

hehehehe US?! NEVER!!  ;)

Back