• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Swords

Al_729 said:
I'm not 100% sure if this is the best thread to post this question in, but I couldn't find any others on swords.  It seems from what I've read that officers are allowed to choose their own swords- is this correct? Or is there certain types or makes of swords that officers in certain regiments must adhere to? The reason I ask is I have in my possession a sword which my great-Grandfather had when he was an infantry officer in WWI, this sword was passed to my Grandfather who was in the armoured corps and later RCEME in Korea. Now that I am finishing up my DEO application I'd love to carry this sword once I am comissioned.

Cheers

Once you're in a unit, ask permission to carry it.  Given its history, I would be shocked if you were told "no".

Cavalry units have sabers, Highland units have Claymores & the Arty units have the wire hilt.  Navy swords & Oirforce swords are another thing altogether BUT Infantry pattern swords are, by default, the basic standard for all others....

Hope that the silver finish is in relatively good shape

The old royal cipher will be a conversation piece...

You may be interested to know that people around the SCA
(Society for Creative Anachronism)  use/make/sell/play with swords.

http://www.sca.org/

But I don't think you will be interested in their sword, even if copies
of medieval sword are cheaper :). But from a civy point of view, watching
there (?) fights was amazing.

The SCA is an international organization dedicated to researching and recreating the arts
and skills of pre-17th-century Europe.Members, dressed in clothing of the Middle Ages and
Renaissance, attend events which may feature tournaments, arts exhibits, classes, workshops,
dancing, feasts, and more.

Have seen many unit swords with all sorts of nicks and scrapes on the blade.... swordfights between subalterns in the mess, late at night.... oh dear, what can we do?

If you're the RQMS, you want to fine the buggers (aka drunken sots)

Or you could promote competitions only for the sobber, trying
to get it hip to sword and win event ... so it
will be less attractive to drink and sword...

(civy idea)

Le Gars said:
I also know that you can buy from the 2RCR online kit shop. I curious to know if there are any other manufacturers or retailers I can look at, or if anything can be found cheaper, as $800 or 950 euros is a bit more than I'd hoped to spend.

You can also get them at the RMC Club Kit Shop; they also have Air Force, Navy, Artillery and Cavalry Patterns, as well as the basic "Infantry" pattern.

http://www.rmcclub.ca/GiftShop/Swords/Swords.htm

You don't save money over the RCR kit shop; if you are an ex-bud, they match the price, otherwise they charge you $80 more.

Cheers!

Thanks for the replies.  I suppose I'll have to figure out exactly what kind of sword I have and what the eventual unit I'm posted to allows. Would some of the preceeding links on this thread be the best place to contact regarding the make and style of my sword?

I would contact the RMC kitshop for your requirements; as mentioned earlier they have access to all patterns, where as the RCR is only likely to stock the Infantry one. My sword is the Infantry pattern which is pretty well the one in standard ie generic use in the CF. At the time I bought it I had the choice of a Wilkinson @ $1000+ or a Sollingen at about 1/3 the price.  So went with the German model and have been very happy with it. Mainly used to cut wedding cakes these days!
What really got anal was no one could seem to make up their mind what kind of acorn to accessorize it with; RMC was the standard white leather one, then I had a gold braided one put on for some parade with the PPCLI as I recall, then later the Adjt in the Svc Bn insisted I go back to the white acorn as I was going to show up the rest of the officers who were parading with "borrowed" RMC swords, with you guessed it the white acorn. In the process destroyed the $50 braided one removing it. Greatcoats on/greatcoats off LOL
If there is an $80 savings being an ex cadet, get one of us to buy it for you.

geo said:
Cavalry units have sabers, Highland units have Claymores & the Arty units have the wire hilt.  Navy swords & Oirforce swords are another thing altogether BUT Infantry pattern swords are, by default, the basic standard for all others....

Hope that the silver finish is in relatively good shape

The old royal cipher will be a conversation piece...

In the Canadian Army, it is a Cavalry Sword.   (Having been "corrected" in the past by old "Horse Soldiers".)   ;D

Al_729

The sword you have will probably pass muster.  As was noted, the most common sword now used by the whole CF is the 1879 Infantry Pattern Officer's Sword.

From A-AD-265-000/AG-001

CHAPTER 1

SWORDS AND PISTOLS - CEREMONIAL OCCASIONS

15.  The following swords are provided for use as required:

a.  navy officer pattern, for use by navy officers;

b.  universal pattern (infantry), for use by army members and navy NCM;

c.  air force pattern, for use by all air force members; and

d.  flag/general officer's scimitar, issued only for use by the Chief of the Defence Staff.

16.  Approved branch/regimental patterns of swords may be worn as optional items by army members.  Sword belts and slings shall be the CF standard pattern or an approved regimental pattern as an optional item.  The belt shall be fastened by a waist buckle displaying either the CF or, as an optional item, a branch or regimental device.

17.  CF standard pattern sword belts are equipped with slings, metal furnishings and a hook to suspend the scabbard when worn outside of the jacket.  The belt is held in position on army and air force jackets by removable waist hooks inserted into two slots, which are located at the waist line on the jacket side seams (see Figure 3-6-1).  The sword belt is worn under the navy jacket at all times, and may be worn under the army jacket by branches/regiments, in accordance with branch/regimental customs.

a78jumper said:
..... In the process destroyed the $50 braided one removing it. Greatcoats on/greatcoats off LOL

???

What kind of method did you use to attach it?  Should it not have been an easy means of just slipping it through a loop to attach/detach it?  Or was it from the gold braid having a "memory" of being fixed on the sword for so long that the process of removing it cracked the threads?

Just a note to anyone who has a sword:  Never store it for a long period of time inside of the scabbard, or it will collect condensation and rust.

If your Great granddad was an Infantry officer, then the chances are .... it is an infantriy pattern sword.

http://www.wkc-solingen.de/newshop/infantrysword.html

George Wallace said:
???
Just a note to anyone who has a sword:  Never store it for a long period of time inside of the scabbard, or it will collect condensation and rust.

You mean like this George?

This is a Wilkinson highland dancing sword, which belonged to my mother and one that I used as a kid to dance with. Sadly it was left in storage for numerous years and this is what happened to it.  I've been looking for a someone to repair it but I loathe to have it ruined so I've been reluctant to send it out.  So if anyone has an experience with a sword maker/refurbisher, let me know.  Thanks

I recently found these places that sell replica swords, now, honestly, what are some of your opinions on these? For a quarter of the price of Wilkinsons, I can get a decently made sword for parades... I dont know what do you think?

http://www.thingsmilitary.com/products/1897_Pattern_Infantry_Officer_s_Sword-251-20.html
http://www.militaryheritage.com/swords2.htm scroll down a number of other swords and you'll see the 1897
http://www.williamscully.ca/productdetail.php?productid=491071SWINO last but not least the $1000 something dollars one

I presume it take more skill to repair one then to make one.

Good luck.

niner domestic said:
...........  I've been looking for a someone to repair it but I loathe to have it ruined so I've been reluctant to send it out.  So if anyone has an experience with a sword maker/refurbisher, let me know.  Thanks

It can be done, but it is very expensive.  It will depend on the value (not necessarily monetary) that you place on it.  There are people who have the skills to 'replate' it.  Unfortunately I don't know any, but remember someone in the RCD, the 2i/c or Adjt, looking into to it and deciding it was too expensive.

MedTech said:
military heritage sword.... not current pattern, won't pass inspection.
Scully sword - always OK, but not always cheapest.
thingsmilitary sword... good price but, the hilt is rather plain and uninteresting...

Geo, there's the 1897 one the military heritage one, that one wont pass muster? I looked at all of them, but they all look pretty much the same to me  :-\

would the thingsmilitary sword be alright for parade purposes?

Hmmm.... just checked again.... hadn't gone +/- all the way down to the bottom.

I see... was looking at the one at the top 1803 pattern - which is waaay off but

bottom one - 1897 model.... good to go....

Back