• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Switching from FW to RW and vice-versa

Messerschmitt

Inactive
Reaction score
Question for for current trained pilots. Is it easier to transfer from multi platform to helo platform vs vice versa? I would assume since the number of helos is double than that of multis that would be the case?
And of course I am talking about after several years of flying a platform, not requesting soon after finishing the training.

From what I have seen, switching between platforms is not impossible. We have several former seized wing types on our Sqn. I have also noticed that rotary wing pilots who want to switch over to fixed wing seem to do it most frequently at Moose Jaw as an instructor. It seems to be the great intersection point of the RCAF.

The major helo communities (TacHel and MAG) like to hold on to their people, so going helo to fixed wing is hard, but can be done;  It usually involves going to Moose Jaw for a tour or two as an instructor.  Going fixed wing to helo is a bit easier; you usually just have to tell someone you like boats or camping.  ;D

I do wish there were opportunities to fly both FW and RW at the same time. I'm just so torn between the two.

I cannot comprehend anybody wanting to fly seized wing.

Messerschmitt said:
I do wish there were opportunities to fly both FW and RW at the same time. I'm just so torn between the two.

Not unless we get V-22 Osprey any time soon...

Good2Golf said:
Not unless we get V-22 Osprey any time soon...

Well not just that, but on bases that have both FW and RW, (e.g. Trenton or the coasts) to be tasked to fly multiple types. But I do see the benefit of having a pilot specialized on a type (not even a platform) vs pilots being jack of all trades.

Loachman said:
I cannot comprehend anybody wanting to fly seized wing.

You do get to see the world and hop from one place to another. Not so with helicopters (unless they are being transported to a specific destination)

I am not aware of anyone who is currently duel qualified on more than one aircraft type. It is a fair bit of work just mastering one airplane.

SeaKingTacco said:
I am not aware of anyone who is currently duel qualified on more than one aircraft type. It is a fair bit of work just mastering one airplane.

:nod:

Even the test pilots at AETE are streamed one or the other, I believe.

Messerschmitt said:

I have to say that would be pretty freaking impressive!  This idea gives me a whole new level of respect for any pilot who could actually do it.  How does one reach the controls of two aircraft simultaneously?  Perhaps if your limbs are long enough, but I would still think there would be a risk of having something severed by accident...

:nod:

Especially banking manoeuvres in formation...hose rotors have a nasty habit of chopping things off...

Back